“Yes mom I will try and follow the rules”
Review of Hotel Yunque Mar

Hotel Yunque Mar
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Luquillo
Reviewed 2 May 2017

This is a very nice hotel in a residential area of Luquillo. I would not call it beach front because you would be battered to bits on the rocks if you jumped in the ocean behind the hotel. The sound of the surf is pleasant. My mood may have been affected by the time I got there because of the route Google Maps took me on the get there which should not have been difficult. I had several problems with Google Maps in Puerto Rico. Anyway, although the receptionist was pleasant and very helpful, the owner has an obsession with plastering homemade signs all over the place telling the guests what and what not to do and how much you would be charged if you did not obey. My girlfriend did not notice, so I was probably just in a bad mood or I might have found it humorous. We decided to stay here as a stop between Vieques and Ponce because we wanted to at least check out El Yunque on the way. The hotel is pretty close to El Yunque, I also understand that one of the most beautiful beaches in all of Puerto Rico is in Luquillo, but we did not stop there to see it. Although it was Friday night the kiosks did not seem very busy. Also being Friday night the church across the street was rocking with good, but loud music till probably 10. I sort of enjoyed the music myself, but glad it didn't go late. Maybe because it was the end of April and all of Puerto Rico seemed pretty slow during our visit which generally from my perspective was a plus.

Room Tip: Most rooms are probably very nice. I recommend one with a king bed.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 April 2017

The hotel is in a lovely location, directly on the beach. As we had the two-bedroom suite, we had two small balconies to open onto the view. The kioskos are just down the road, and a fun experience choosing good and drink. We had a bio-luminescent bay tour scheduled in Fajardo for that evening, but it was cancelled due to a hard rain.
The hotel staff were pleasant and helpful. The kitchenette had a small coffee maker but no coffee packets, filters or tea bags. The bathroom had a small shampoo but no conditioner. These additions would have been welcome. The pool is heated by sun only, so was not warm enough to use during our April stay.

Room Tip: The modem for the wifi is near the office so one must go to the office area to access wifi.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank windy-sea
Reviewed 11 April 2017 via mobile

The room was comfortable, the office staff was very helpful, and the other guests were very friendly. The room was clean and the shower was awesome! The whole experience was wonderful.

There was one disappointment. Breakfast was advertised to be from 8 o'clock to 930. At 8:30 we were still waiting for our breakfast and we were the first ones in line. The cook said that it would be another 10 minutes. We had to go to another appointment so we could not wait that long. We missed having the breakfast we had planned on. My advice would be for the cook to have something ready for guests to eat right at 8 o'clock even if it is just a banana or other fruit. Some people are depending on that. Or, advertise your breakfast to start from 9 o'clock to 1030 and then people can choose whether or not they want that late of a breakfast.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 April 2017

We got off to a bad start as our reservation did not specify a check in time and we called as we had some choices of activity. We were promised a call back but never received one and therefore tried to check in too early. There was apparently a problem with our room and we were delightfully upgraded to a beautiful suite directly facing the ocean. There was a nice swimming pool which was fortunate as accessing the ocean was almost impossible as the surf was hitting the hotel walls (we eventually chose a brief drive to the balneario which was calm). The room was spotless and well appointed and the breakfast was excellent. Good value.

Stayed: March 2017
1  Thank El-Ingles
Reviewed 15 March 2017

It is right next to the ocean, souvenir shops, and restaurants within a 5-10 minute drive. Nice and clean with a pool. Staff was very friendly and a nice home cooked breakfast each morning. This is a very quiet place nestled in a neighborhood. Close to the rain-forest. Larger shopping, restaurants, beaches and other venues all within 20-30 minutes. This is not a chain hotel so there are no amenities ex. no coffee maker, no refrigerator, no blow dryers, ice was a little sketchy. If you are looking for a nice quiet place this is it.

Room Tip: backside is ocean view without obstacles
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luquillo
12.6 km away
Ocean Pearl
#3 of 3 in Luquillo
1.3 km away
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort

Been to Hotel Yunque Mar? Share your experiences!