“It's ok, but only because there is no alternative”

Parkhotel Sonnenhaus
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Herford
Parkhotel Sonnenhaus
Ranked #3 of 4 Herford B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 May 2017 via mobile

I can't say that I was satisfied with my stay at this hotel. The standard room that I had booked was quite small with a red carpet (okay, the colour is a matter of taste - I didn't like it) and a pretty uncomfortable bed that reminded me a bit of a better youth hostel. The bathroom was quite small, I could hardly move around. But it was finally sufficient.
I was surprised to see that the litter bin in the bathroom wasn't emptied and the ashtray in front of the side entrance clearly hasn't been emptied for quite a while. There were insects and spiders outside the window of the room. Except for these examples, I had the impression that the hotel was clean.
As there is no ventilation or air con in the room, it was pretty hot inside due to the sunny and warm weather. Because of the insects outside and the room located at the ground level, I didn't want to keep the window open over night. So I had to accept the sticky air inside.
The breakfast buffet was okay (but no more) compared with the € 5.- that the hotel charges for it, but the Actimel bottles were three days beyond the best before date.
The staff I came across was not overly enthusiastic about delivering some kind of service. At check in at 9:30pm, I got lectured that I was late as the hotel expects guests to arrive by 6pm (!!!). At check out, no hotel-like interaction like "How was your stay?" or "good bye".
The price per night seems too much especially given the poor standard of the room and the apparent indifference of the staff. But as there is no competitor in the centre of Buende, I guess that this hotel can afford not to care about a good product and service.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo

Reviewed 13 March 2016

A good hotel for business travelers. The hotel has a good basement swimming pool. There is nothing much to do around, hence good only for business travelers. The inhouse restaurant is really good. Very tasty food, But not open all days, I think.
Otherwise, provides all expected basic amenities.. like free wifi etc...

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 February 2016

The hotel is exactly what you might expect in rural Germany, clean, functional and pretty quiet. Room was very clean but be very careful with the see through curtains unless you want the passing world to see you in various states of undress.

That was the only thing that let the room down - paper thin curtains, otherwise fine and a good bathroom.

Restaurant was how others have described it. Good German fare. The No1 burger is quite excellent and the staff were very friendly, all except the ladies on reception in the morning - someone had definitely pissed on their chips and didn't we know it!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms where people might be walking past
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 January 2016

Stayed for a night while i was on a business trip. Both dinner at restaurant and breakfast early morning were great. Food in the restaurant was of high quality and service was very friendly. Only problem i had was the only curtain available in my room which was partially transparent so at night one could easily see inside the room from outside .

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 November 2015

This is my second visit to this hotel in 18 months. Nothing much has changed. I would still recommend this hotel to business travellers. Rooms are nice and spacious. Breakfast is the usual european fare.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor.
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled on business