“Great place, lovely people!”
Review of Birdhouse

Birdhouse
Reviewed 17 January 2016

I ended up staying twice on this place on my 3 week vacation, and with good reason. Small family run place, the people are so sweet! Our first stay was for 4 days.The place is situated on the road to Jungle Beach, but still close to Unawatuna Beach. The rooms are clean, breakfast is great, you can choose between western and Lanka breakfast. They also serve dinner, book in the morning. I didn't have dinner here, but dinner was popular with other guests. Our second visit was for 3 days, we went back because we didn't like Hikkaduwa to much, Unawatuna has more of a village vibe. I had come down with a bad bronchitis, and the wife served me ginger tea all the time. They also offer transport service. All the rooms have balcony or sitting area, most rooms have AC and fan. But the best room is on the roof! Fan only, but with your own outdoor kitchen and a great view.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 January 2016

I stumbled across this place by chance and was happy to have done so. The family all make you feel very at home and the accommodation is very good value when compared against what hotels close by charge. It was nice to chat with Lilith and his wife and the Birdhouse felt like a genuine home stay. Top tip: go for the Sri Lankan breakfast. It's delicious and will keep you going for more than an hour or two. Home cooked rice and curry was excellent too.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 November 2015 via mobile

There is a nice garden surrounding the hotel, and the family running the hotel is really nice. They also have a cute three-legged dog. We rented a room with ac for 4000 rs/night, and stayed there for 2 nights. I haven't slept so well as I did here, since I got to sri lanka. The breakfast was nice, and loads of it. I recommend this place to the once that wants a place with nice and neat rooms, and that appreciate owners that like having guests at their hotels. It's walking distance from the beach too, which is nice.

Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2015 via mobile

Lilith and his wife and the most incredible hosts you could hope to find. So kind and genuine and accommodating. I spent over a week here and would have spent longer if I could! The place is spotless, a few minutes from the beach but still quiet. As a woman travelling alone I felt very comfortable and safe without feeling removed. Can't recommend highly enough. I stayed in what I called my rooftop cabin. Complete with little private garden! Loved it. Only thing I'd say is that, as with most places I stayed in this region, there is some building work nearby but wasn't really a disturbance.

Stayed: September 2015
Reviewed 13 July 2015

This was a lovely guest house. I went to Sri Lanka (I work in Bangalore) for a few days, and it was the first time I had traveled alone. This was a beautiful place to stay, and I had a large A/C room to myself. The rooms are very spacious, and you can easily fit two people comfortably. The owner was very kind, and his family is lovely. They have a cute little three legged dog who skitters around the guesthouse! My rate was about 4000 Sri Lankan rupees/night, and included breakfast. Breakfast was wonderful, and I got an authentic Singalese breakfast everyday! It's a great guesthouse to stay, I would prefer this over a hotel.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled solo