Free cancellation until 22/07
US$98
US$88
US$105
Savings alert! 22% below average rates

The price you found is 22% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$134/night.

Villa Gaetano(Unawatuna)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 25/07
US$32
US$26
Savings alert! 19% below average rates

The price you found is 19% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$32/night.

Book now, pay at stay
US$283
Apa Villa Thalpe(Unawatuna)
US$217
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsthe ownerunawatuna beachour room was spaciouswater pressurethe sri lankan breakfastair conbalcony
Reviewed 1 January 2016

I stumbled across this place by chance and was happy to have done so. The family all make you feel very at home and the accommodation is very good value when compared against what hotels close by charge. It was nice to chat with Lilith and his wife and the Birdhouse felt like a genuine home stay. Top tip: go for the Sri Lankan breakfast. It's delicious and will keep you going for more than an hour or two. Home cooked rice and curry was excellent too.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 November 2015 via mobile

There is a nice garden surrounding the hotel, and the family running the hotel is really nice. They also have a cute three-legged dog. We rented a room with ac for 4000 rs/night, and stayed there for 2 nights. I haven't slept so well as I did here, since I got to sri lanka. The breakfast was nice, and loads of it. I recommend this place to the once that wants a place with nice and neat rooms, and that appreciate owners that like having guests at their hotels. It's walking distance from the beach too, which is nice.

Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2015 via mobile

Lilith and his wife and the most incredible hosts you could hope to find. So kind and genuine and accommodating. I spent over a week here and would have spent longer if I could! The place is spotless, a few minutes from the beach but still quiet. As a woman travelling alone I felt very comfortable and safe without feeling removed. Can't recommend highly enough. I stayed in what I called my rooftop cabin. Complete with little private garden! Loved it. Only thing I'd say is that, as with most places I stayed in this region, there is some building work nearby but wasn't really a disturbance.

Stayed: September 2015
Reviewed 13 July 2015

This was a lovely guest house. I went to Sri Lanka (I work in Bangalore) for a few days, and it was the first time I had traveled alone. This was a beautiful place to stay, and I had a large A/C room to myself. The rooms are very spacious, and you can easily fit two people comfortably. The owner was very kind, and his family is lovely. They have a cute little three legged dog who skitters around the guesthouse! My rate was about 4000 Sri Lankan rupees/night, and included breakfast. Breakfast was wonderful, and I got an authentic Singalese breakfast everyday! It's a great guesthouse to stay, I would prefer this over a hotel.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 May 2015

First of all, Lalith and his family are superb hosts. They're very accommodating and helpful. Their dog Rexy is adorable and such a joy to have around. She just waits on you for company. She is curious yet does not cross boundaries with those uncomfortable with dogs.
They have two ground floor rooms easily accessible for wheelchairs as there are no steps from the entrance to the room or the attached toilets. My mom praises this.
The place is clean & food is definitely value for money. We tried two other eateries and they cannot beat Birdhouse. You will be asking for second or even third serving. My only gripe is the coffee – it is somewhat bland.
The face of house is very pleasant and that speaks for your stay: cozy, quiet and relaxing. Don't forget to have a sip of your favorite drink on the terrace under stars – a very sedative atmosphere indeed. The huge terrace is very practical for beach goers as this means dry pants before your departure.
The hosts helped my family prepare a surprise birthday dinner for me and it was one of the most memorable.
We will be seeing Lalith and family next year definitely if not sooner.

Room Tip: During hot periods air conditioned room is a must. Check the A/C before settling for a room.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled with family