“AND THE WINNER IS ... DON ALFONSO!”

Ristorante Don Alfonso 1890
Reserve with
Ristorante Don Alfonso 1890 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$0 - US$183
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 19 August 2017

After 2 weeks in the Amalfi region and many meals at various eateries starting with the star studded ones in Rome .. it is time for the final vote. To us, it is a no-brainer, the jury does not even have to leave the Court. Don Alfonso won, hands down. Instead of talking about the beautifully crafted E170 Degustation Menu, which you will no doubt read from each and every review, I will focus on the hospitality end of our experience. 4 words came to mind immediately and they are; Style, Quality, Class & Family.

1) STYLE : it was at the end of a long sightseeing day when we arrived and our party, including our 7-year old grand twins, were shown to a nicely appointed library to change, to refresh and to prepare ourselves for the Alfonso Baptism 2) QUALITY : from our Bellini to Amuse Bouche to Mains to Pre-Desserts to Dessert we were treated to top quality not only in ingredients but in execution 3) CLASS : needless to say we were a tad anxious with 2 tired kids at the table but Don Alfonso handled the situation with such class we were speechless .. Grandma Livia, the Matriarch, came to our table and pronounced "my own grand children love the pasta here so let us take care of yours" .. in real terms the twins were treated to the same wonderful Amuse Bouche & Pre-Desserts as us, complete with a salivating Penne in between. If that is not class what is? 4) FAMILY : throughout the evening the spirit of "One for All & All for One" kept popping up in my head. Their business card says it all. Don Alfonso at the top with Mom Livia, Dad Alfonso and Sons Ernesto & Mario at the bottom. I read this succinct message as "We are here, as one, for you" and I love it.

I do not care what Michelin thinks. I only know we had more than a 3-star experience at Don Alfonso. We were blown away by the charm of Grandma Livia, the seamless Front of House under good humored Mario and the culinary artistry of Ernesto that evening. Flawless is an understatement. One last word, make sure you visit the 25-metre deep cellar with 20,000+ bottles and if you are still not impressed check out the cheese collection at the bottom. Mind boggling. I hope you do not mind a restaurant review that does not cover any food. I do not need to, those 4-words alone have won them top marks. Hail to the magical family @ Don Alfonso!

1  Thank TangCanCook

Reviewed 6 August 2017 via mobile

We visit Sorrento every year and went for the fourth successive year to Don Alfonso. It is an outstanding restaurant. The ambiance, the food, the wine, the expertise and friendliness of the staff, it is all very special. They treat you like you are a king and queen. If you want to treat yourself or someone else to a 'once in a life-time experience' this is the place to go. Even when you go every year it is a once in a life time experience. We always have the tasting menu and they make significant changes every year. And it is always superb.

Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

The best organic food, made from heaven, endless love and attention. This is a family of heroes, that farm their own ingredients and have slowly built food paradise. Don't forget to ask to see the most astonishing wine cellar you ever will see

Reviewed 3 August 2017

We tried the restaurant based on the amazingly consistent outstanding reviews on Tripadvisor, and it surpassed our expectations, from both a food perspective, service quality and overall experience. What they are trying to do is something I've not experienced before in a Michelin star restaurant. They want their customers to enjoy themselves through a combination of simply divine food and outstanding service.

We sat outside, taking our two kids (11 and 9) with us. They were great with the kids throughout, even giving us a tour of the kitchen, with the main chef getting down on one knee to tie our son's shoelace (yes, a Michelin starred chef, that humble).

Outside is simply beautiful, and having walked through the interior would prefer to eat there.

I'm not going to tell you what I ate as it really doesn't matter. We had the tasting menu and everything was just amazing, even some seemingly basic dishes.

Reviewed 29 July 2017

I'd spotted this restaurant on a solo trip to Sant Agata last year and decided this was where I wanted to celebrate my 50th birthday so had looked forward to it in the months running up to July. It ended up as a birthday dinner for myself and a friend who also turned 50 and the whole experience was even better than anticipated.

It's impossible to know where to start as everything from the food to the service and whole experience were fabulous. The extra little touches like the complimentary dessert plate with dry ice, visits from the family and finishing off the dinner with a tour of the kitchen and the wine cellar.

Cannot recommend this restaurant highly enough and all 5 of us have decided this is where we're going to mark special occasions in the future :)

1  Thank Ann H