“Thanksgiving in Italy!”

Residence La Ferriera
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Loro Ciuffenna
Reviewed 15 December 2017 via mobile

Stayed here with my family of 6: my mom, grandma, grandpa, aunt, best friend and myself. We stayed for 7 nights the week of Thanksgiving. The property is located in a quaint Italian village in beautiful Tuscany. We were told that it’s an old mill. The water still runs through a small creek and tiny waterfall on the side of the main building. That’s where our room was! Lovely view from apartment #7, and I rather enjoyed hearing the waterfall at night. Personally helped me to sleep soundly. Took a while for the heat to circulate through our 2BR apartment. We inquired and were advised by staff to keep all the doors shut at all times. That indeed worked to trap the heat. We exchanged through our timeshare program, Interval, and were therefore mandated to purchase the half board which included breakfast and dinner for the entire stay. 275 euros. I enjoyed the breakfast. It was a healthy and small buffet that included cold meats, cheese, boiled eggs, sliced tomatoes, assorted pastries, bread for toast, cereal milk, fresh fruit, and juice. I drank a cappuccino every morning! Dinners were hit or miss. It all really depends on ones personal tastes. Usually there is something or another you can find to eat, just perhaps not every single course. The steak bisteca was very flavorful but cooked rare and not what I’m used to. So I didn’t finish it. The pork dishes were tasty as were any chicken and seafood dishes. Pastas were always a safe 1st course after an appetizer. Desserts were again hit or miss. Some were absolutely delicious! Like the chocolate mousse, and the panna cotta were amazing. Wine selection was majority tannic and dry so we drank moscato everyday, and had Prosecco once as our welcome drink. Our waiter Nico was very pleasant and hard working. Virginia at the front desk was very helpful. I was able to communicate with her via e-mail months prior to our trip to ensure a comfortable stay. Overall would stay here again.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank ShanJay82
RESIDENCELAFERRIERA, Proprietario at Residence La Ferriera, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2017

Thank you dear, I remember very well you with your big family, very nice to meet you and yes I hope with you to come back here again soon.

Kisses and Merry Christmas

Reviewed 2 December 2017 via mobile

My wife and I and our two 14 year old twins spent a week at the residence as part of a two week trip to Italy in the height of Summer. We had chosen this spot as a trade for our timeshare through interval and it could not have been more perfect to experience a beautiful little Tuscan town and a great place as a home base for exploring the entire Tuscany region. Virginia and her husband and the entire staff especially Claudio made our stay perfect in every way. Although the rooms are a bit rustic we had a beautiful spacious one-bedroom with a pull out couch for the kids a beautiful deck overlooking the river right in front of the residence. We were there during a massive heat wave in Italy where every day was 30 C plus. Although the days were very hot the area will get amazingly cool at night and was beautiful to sleep in even without air conditioning in the rooms which is one thing to note. We had the half board option which was absolutely fantastic with wonderful breakfast and dinners every night. Menu was not repetitive the food was well-crafted and the wine selection offered through the residence was not only very thorough and local but well selected to match the food prices were also very competitive. Parking was plentiful and the surrounding Town Loro ciuffenna is absolutely beautiful. We especially enjoyed coming back from long hot days in the surrounding area to jump in the pool and cool off ahead of dinner. Florence is about 40 minutes by car and all the surrounding towns in the Tuscany region can be reached within an hour's drive. it is the perfect place to be a home base for exploring the region. Virginia was excellent at helping us pick routes and places to visit as well as give us tips on the best places to park and how to get there. We definitely plan to revisit the area and we most certainly will make the residence our choice of stay thank you for everything and a most wonderful vacation.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank snrkl
Reviewed 28 November 2017

My Mother and I traveled to Europe together for the first time and stayed at the rustic Tuscan Residence La Ferriera. We were very hesitant in renting a car (even though highly suggested by staff), but we feel it was the best option for us. We were able to drive through the country roads and see a lot more of Italy than we ever would have by train. It was also very easy to manage with Google Maps and they fact that they drive on the same side of the road and steering wheel too, as America :-)
I had been in communication with Virginia months ahead of our stay, via email. She was extremely helpful and always timely in answering my questions. This did not change when we arrived at the resort. We went with a very rough plan for the week and had wonderful help from Virginia and the rest of the staff every day. The staff made sure that we were happy with all our meals, our accommodations and we even had to miss dinner because our train back from Rome was delayed 90 minutes. All I had to do was email Virginia and she had the restaurant leave food and wine, in the room for us! This was outstanding and I feel above and beyond. This was due to the half board. The only compliant (if it is one) was that meals were extremely long. However, I know this is how they are in Italy so that has nothing to do with the Restaurant. They were extremely filling and definitely lived up to the "Tuscan" 4 course meals we were expecting. Breakfast was always tasty and Tommas made sure we had coffee, cappuccino or anything we needed to drink in the mornings to get us going!
To say this was a trip of a life time wouldn't even begin to be the half of it! It was all due to the help of Virginia and the staff and the gorgeous location that allowed us to sleep comfortably and fill up on all the food and wine we needed. The waterfall was just gorgeous and I highly recommend traveling in November, as Florence and Rome weren't as crowded as we expected them to be.
Thank you again Virginia and Tommas for a wonderful stay. I can't forget to mention that the Wine Tour is a MUST! Benjamin was a wonderful tour guide and the wineries were must see's. We will be talking about this trip for years to come! Thank you all at Residence La Ferriera!

Room Tip: WiFi, use it on your patio or outside the office. If you have trouble with stairs I recommend asking...
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Melissa B
RESIDENCELAFERRIERA, Direttore generale at Residence La Ferriera, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2017

I love you Melissa and See you sooooon

Reviewed 21 November 2017

First time to Italy, and after the long flight, La Ferriera welcomed us with the best desk person, Virginia. The 2 bedroom room was quaint, in this old converted Mill on the side of a hill next to running water stream (our river), but it provided a good night's sleep and an usually large shower compared to the rest of the rooms our traveling partner had experienced. Lot of stairs to get to our room so be prepared. They have a meal program that is expensive and if you don't use it, a limited menu is provided to you. No matter to us, we had treats including wine, bread, assorted meats and cheese from the local store and sandwich shop. A fun little town to experience and get your vacation started.

Room Tip: You only have 1 roll of toilet paper and not much in the way of toiletries, so be prepared!
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
RESIDENCELAFERRIERA, Proprietario at Residence La Ferriera, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2017

Hi Sandy and hope to see you again soon. Anyway I don't think we just have limited meals, they all tell us they always eat too much, that the portions are always too much and too big but ok no problem, next time don't choise the package. You can decide to book directly with me and I will be able to offer you many solutions, weekly price only apt because you have the kitchen with access to the restaurant when you want with discounts, hb, b&b and more.

Hearing you soon I hope

Reviewed 16 November 2017 via mobile

Nestled in the hills of Tuscany, La Ferriera was a wonderful experience. Outside the property is the village of Loro Ciuffenna-a few small shops; La Ferriera is a great home base for traveling and visiting the Tuscan region. The facility is very well kept, excellent services and the staff is tremendous! Virginia and Tomas were extremely helpful and gracious. We spent three weeks in Italy of which one week was at La Ferriera. The reason for not rating the resort a five star was the mandatory half board for meals-we found ourselves spending more money for meals here than anywhere else in Italy.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you dear, fortunally to find a nice person and good to see you again soon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Loro Ciuffenna
0.6 km away
Dimora Casa Eugenia
Dimora Casa Eugenia
#1 of 3 in Loro Ciuffenna

Been to Residence La Ferriera? Share your experiences!