“Good variety of wildlife, really dedicated staff”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Paterson
Schotia Safaris Private Game Reserve
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Paterson
Reviewed 24 April 2017

We went on the afternoon and evening game drive as the final thing we did before flying home. It was a pretty cold and occasionally rainy, which probably meant we saw fewer animals than had it been nice and warm, but this did not significantly detract from the experience. The chap who drove us around was totally obsessed with giving us the opportunity to see every animal in the reserve and went out of his way to find them. Knowledgable and humorous and great company.

Supper was most welcome and although it was fairly basic, it was what we expected in the surroundings we were in.

I thoroughly recommend them.

Room Tip: No idea, did not stay there
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Whizzybill
There are newer reviews for Schotia Safaris Private Game Reserve

Reviewed 11 April 2017 via mobile

Not going to lie when planning my trip to South Africa the one think I was looking forward to doing was going on a safari and getting to see the big 5 specifically the lions.

We only stayed one night, I was actually worried we weren't going to see everything, but wow schotia safari exceeded expectations. We basically got to see everything. Our guide Tyron was very informative and upfront about what we may see or not see. I really appreciate him shpending more time on the animals we where the most interested in and learning about them. I also thought it was a nice touch at the end of the day to break bread with the other guides and travelers. Overall I had an unforgettable experience with a bang for my buck.

Oh and yes I got to see the lions!!

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jamel D
Reviewed 10 April 2017

Ty did a great job showing us all of the animals and was extremely knowledgeable about everything you need to know. Highly recommend him as a guide! The food the reserve served was also incredible.

Highly recommend traveling in Ty's rover. I'm considering going back this year!

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
4  Thank timothy b
Reviewed 10 April 2017

This was our first time in South Africa and we wanted to find a quality Safari that also affordable enough for us to stay overnight and take in the full experience. After searching online for a while, we decided on Schotia since it was a little off the beaten path and had glowing reviews. By far one of the best experiences of our entire trip! We opted to stay overnight, which entails a few day drives after check in, a coffee/tea break, dinner, an evening drive and another morning drive before breakfast. Having everything included was a nice option: The food was good and went well with my cider around the campfire.

The part that jumped at me most, was definitely our guide Ty - from the beginning of our trip straight through to the end, he went above and beyond to show us the bush and explain the subtleties of the area that we never would have otherwise known! From how the termites effect this specifics plant which then effects this animal's habitat to the way the lions track prey in the bush...he answered all of our questions and opened us up to a part of the world we'd never known before! Schotia goes out of their way to let you customize your trip based on what interests you the most; Ty even snuck in a night time astronomy lesson since it was our first time in the southern hemisphere! We had pretty high expectations going in, and Schotia blew them away! Thanks for a great time guys

Room Tip: Definitely worth staying overnight! Having a night drive and not having to rush everywhere makes a...
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank SeanFH
Reviewed 6 April 2017 via mobile

We spent one night here and saw lots of animals and the accomodation was lovely. We stayed at the impala lodge. Although it has no electricity I think this is a much nicer option. The food was plenty but average.

If you are looking for somewhere to see lots of animals in a short period of time then this is a very good option. It's a smallish reserve but big enough for a one night trip. The reserve is beautiful to look at. I think an extra night would be to much. The reason I say this is due to the size of the reserve and the number of vehicles in there as this meant animals are easily found. The lions were found in less than 10 minutes when in that area. I don't think this was luck but the norm as their leaflet guarantees lion viewing. There were about 6 vehicles looking.

Our guide Tyron was polite and helpful but did not inform you about the animals when you viewed them. I don't just want to see the animals but also learn about them. We had to ask questions rather than being told much about them. When you compare them to the Addo guides who are very informative it was disappointing. When we saw animals you stopped for a max 5 minutes then move on which didn't like. It's interesting to sit and watch them. We only had about 2 or 3 minutes with the lions due to so many vehicles being there at the same time. Surely they could organise different times for different areas to avoid this.
Our guide also gave the option of a late start the next morning. All the others wanted this as they were staying longer than us. It was clear he tried to get a lie in and we lost animal viewing time. It was wrong to offer this in the first place in my opinion.

As above if you are on a quick visit then this is the place for you, but more avid animal viewers might be frustrated after more than a day. It was good value for money as we drove from 1500 to 1900 with a quick break in the middle. After dinner there is a night drive. There is also a morning drive but we only got 45 minutes as people wanted to sleep in. We also had a baby approx 18 months old on our vehicle. I don't think babies should share a vehicle with other adults.

Take the option of schotia only as you can see Addo in your own car. The official Addo game drives can also go places they can't.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank David A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paterson
15.8 km away
15.1 km away
Zuurberg Mountain Village
Zuurberg Mountain Village
#1 of 2 in Addo Elephant National Park

Been to Schotia Safaris Private Game Reserve? Share your experiences!