“Eye-opening! worth to go”

Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp
US$20.73*
Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp Memorial Walking Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: More than 100,000 Jews, communists, intellectuals, gypsies and homosexuals were killed by Nazis between 1936 and 1945 in this concentration camp. Some of the buildings have been preserved in their original form including barracks, and a pathology department where Nazis performed medical experiments on the inmates.
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We enjoyed our visit to the place. However, I recommend to follow a tour guide when you walk around the sites because they explained everything well, if we didnt follow any tour guide, we will not be able to understand the history of the places. (you can rent an audio guide too, but I personally prefer a tour guide). It cost 12 euro for a student, and there is two session per day. so make sure you check the time before going.

The place is amazing!!!
It is only 45 minutes away from berlin...
Time spent: around 3 hours in the site
around 1 hour and 30 minutes for train plus bus/walking

1  Thank ivy123ivy
There are newer reviews for Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I still cannot believe the things that went on here so inhumane but a real eye opener and worth the trip out to see, we did the tour on our own with a audio guide, please allow a whole day if your doing yourself via audio guide we spend most part of the day there and didn't get to see everything.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

This is worth the trip. Remember it's not a happy thing to do so be prepared to come away with sobering feelings. We did a tour and I think it was worth it. Our guide told us about what went on in the camp but also at that time in General which pieced things together a bit better. I also did Dachau concentration camp in Munich with an audio guide. If you are tossing up between the two I probably would choose dachas simply because there are more buildings and it's set up a bit better I feel. If your not doing a tour I would definitely recommend to get an audio guide, it's worth it- they are only cheap and you can go at your own pace and focus on what you want to know/see which is the downside of tours. Hope this helps!

3  Thank stef W
Reviewed 18 June 2014

If you're going to Berlin to learn about WWII, nothing will be able to encapsulate the horrors of the Nazi regime like a visit to Sachsenhausen. Filled with personal stories of individuals who were taken to the camp, the focus of the few highlights how the hundreds of thousands of people who were slaughtered were just that: people.

The camp is huge, and from the centre of Berlin, it took around 5 hours to get there and back, and we didn't stop to read every part because there was heavy rain. You can either walk around the camp yourself (there are ample plaques and some buildings have been turned into museum exhibitions), you can purchase an audio tape, or you can go around with a guide.
I followed a guide from SANDEMAN, a tour company I had used for a free tour of the city the previous day and I think I would have made it around just fine without the guide. The guide had lots of facts, figures, and even bits of poetry to recite however, I found most of the information he gave us in a leaflet I picked up from reception!

The guide did help with transport from the centre of Berlin to the camp, so if you're not feeling confident then stick with the guide. You can get to Sachsenhausen by taking the S1 to Oranienburg from Friedrichstrasse (it's the end of the line, so it'll be on all of the screens). Once you arrive in Oranienburg, you can either get the 804 bus, or walk (it takes about 20/25 minutes and there's only 3 turns).

One thing that struck me was how close the camp is to people's houses; some people live right outside!

4  Thank jroberts91
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I have visited Dachau, Auschwitz, Buchenwald and Sachsenhausen. Sachsenhausen in Oranienburg (just north of Berlin) is the best, in my opinion. It's got a lot to see and you'll need a whole day. It's free, you can get an audio guide or book a tour guide for about €15. They keep adding more and more exhibits and opening more parts of it. It is also still in use with events that take place there every year. Pace yourself, don't rush through the medical barracks at the end! The actual museum inside the camp is OK but has too much information in there. Pace yourself and remember there is more to see! I made a video from one trip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz94IAiS0h4

4  Thank justinehresman