Hotel Borgo San Felice
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$438
Hotels.com
Villa Curina Resort(Castelnuovo Berardenga)
US$209
US$259
US$250
US$149
US$144
Hotel Toscana Laticastelli(Rapolano Terme)
US$217
Priceline
Montaperti Hotel(Casanova Pansarine)
US$84
  • Breakfast included
Tenuta di Monaciano(Castelnuovo Berardenga)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsold villagerelais chateauxwine storefine diningjunior suiteamazing propertyborgo sansignature restaurantsmall villagemichelin starcasual restaurantsteam roomthe general managertuscan countrysidebilliard tableseveral buildingsstandard room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 June 2015

The hotel has to be one of the most beautiful and in one of the best locations ever. We were here for three weeks and it is superb but in that time you can expect to spot a few imperfections but any that I mention did not detract from our stay or the rating I will give. In fact I would love to be able to give this hotel a lot more than five stars. We came here for our 20th anniversary and the hotel had left a bottle of sparkling wine in our room on arrival.

The hotel is a converted 8th century hamlet. The buildings have been preserved well and all have different uses. The spa is in an old mill and there is also a chapel where mass is said on Sundays. There are two restaurants and a herb garden.

Our room was in the palace on the second floor with no lift. The unfortunate thing about this was the two flights of stairs (20 each), which was only a problem because I have bad knees. However the views were amazing. From the bedroom we could see the gardens and the hills beyond. Then the bathroom had a different view, of the rooftops and the hills. The birdsong was amazing and it was fantastic waking up and seeing such glorious scenery.

The bedroom had a very large bed with an unusual shaped headboard. There was a fridge and sideboard with four big drawers. There were two bedside tables and two chairs and a large wardrobe/cupboard area. One of the chairs was uncomfortable but they replaced it for us. There were no coffee/tea making facilities but they did bring us a kettle. We had our own coffee. The bed was comfortable with lovely fresh sheets that appeared to be changed frequently. The bathroom was big and had an old tiled floor. There were burgundy tiles in the bath area. There were slippers and bathrobes provided and lovely big soft towels. The bath was massive and had a fixed shower and a hand held one over it. The room was serviced twice each day and the toiletries were provided daily but it felt like a handful was just grabbed, rather than making sure there were four different items each time. I had to keep asking for conditioner. The heating was efficient in the bathroom when it was required and believe me it was as it was very cold on our first week. Hotel umbrellas were available in every building.

My problem was that I am vertically challenged (5') and I think the room was built with tall people in mind. The bed was high and I couldn't see into the bathroom mirror at all. The side of the bath was really high and I had difficulty climbing in and out plus it was so long that if I lay down I nearly went right under!! Therefore I was unable to lie down and relax in the bath because I kept slipping down. There were also some very high cupboards in the wardrobe area which were way too high for both of us but as there was a massive amount of storage space in the room, this was not an issue.

Breakfast was a buffet with lovely fresh fruits, a nice choice of breads and pastries, preserves, cheeses, and cooked items such as scrambled eggs, sausages, mushrooms and tomatoes. If you wanted an omelette or fried eggs or anything else you had to order off the menu at an extra (high) charge, such as €7 for a boiled egg (€9 for two) which I think was a bit much. I feel that at these prices all other cooked options should be included in the price.

Our one experience of room service was poor. I ordered a hot tomato and mozzarella sandwich because I prefer my mozzarella hot, melted and stringy. Admittedly the service was efficient but the baguette was cold and the mozzarella not melted at all. Plus it cost €16 with an additional cost of €10 for the room service. If two of you are eating it is €10 per person on top of the cost of the items purchased!!!

We ate in the two restaurants - one was very much fine dining and the other was less formal. The menus never changed and were quite limited in the latter. This would not be a problem if you were only staying for a few days like most people, but as we were here for three weeks we ate out a lot. The pork and chicken were very dry and hard going, in fact I had a far better pork steak with a delicious sauce at a cheaper restaurant a few miles away. The Poggia Rossa was lovely but a little expensive. The food in there was superb and service exceptional.

The grounds and hotel layout were stunning with gravel paths and beautiful flowers. They were well lit at night and there were plenty of seats to sit on. The gym was very small with just a few machines and the spa was lovely. I only had a pedicure in there. The car parks were usually adequate in size but if there is a wedding on there, it can be tight for space.

The Reception area is very small but there is a warm welcome. Unlike a lot of big chain hotels, they do not ask for a credit card upfront. You also get a personal tour of the whole site from the receptionist. The public rooms, such as lounges, bar and games room were big and comfortable but were rarely used. Wifi was free and the most efficient I have ever encountered in a hotel. It was very fast and I had no problems with it at all. It worked in all areas including the room, reception and the poolside.

The pool is lovely, a good size and decent depths, often not the case in hotels. There are more than enough sun loungers both around the pool and on the grassy area. It was very clean but there were a lot of wasps round the edge of it. I didn't always find the pool attendant that helpful and sometimes had to wait a while before I saw him and was able to ask for towels.

Be hopeful you have good weather here because there is not a lot to do in the rain. About the only thing you can do is the tour of the cellars and the wine tasting. I do not like red wine but my husband does, so he ended up shipping quite a few bottles home as he found them to be of a very high quality. Even though I didn't join in with the tasting I found the tour very interesting.

Some customs are a bit old fashioned. Checkout is a bit strange in this modern age of gender equality. I booked, organised and paid for the entire trip so the booking was all in my name with my husband listed as the second person. I was also the one who checked in at registration so that was in my name too. However when the final bill came it was all completely in my husband's name with absolutely no mention of me. I am not a radical feminist but did rather object to this. It is a similar situation in Poggia Rossa restaurant where my husband was given a menu listing the prices, while the menu given to me had no prices at all.

What is overwhelming is the service and kindness from all the staff. My iPhone charger packed up very early on but they lent me another. Then one day I was feeling unwell so my absence was noticed at breakfast. From the Hotel General Manager to the Food and Beverage Manager and a Receptionist, they were all very concerned and offered to help in any way they could. Help wasn't needed but when I felt better they were all asking me how I was and their concern was genuine. It really felt like a family there. Of special note were Marco, the Food and Beverage Manager who was very attentive and helpful. Roberto was an excellent senior waiter who anticipated our needs at breakfast. The Hotel General Manager, Danilo was very helpful and kind. In Reception, the excellent team was led by Salvatore and Tomasso, Alessandro and Rafael were all very good. Lucia was especially helpful in organising the kettle and chair. We were very sorry to say goodbye but all good things come to an end.

Room Tip: Upper floor for the best views
1  Thank Hevsy
Reviewed 31 May 2015 via mobile

The physical aspects of this hotel are wonderful. The rooms are great as are the views.

However, this place is as fake as it gets. There is zero of the love that makes Italy great. The food is average and the service below average. It's sad, as this property has the ingredients to be great.

Stayed: May 2015
3  Thank PatuSchaerrer
Reviewed 28 May 2015

We spent an incredible 5 days at this amazing property, from which we took day trips into the Tuscan countryside and Siena. The views are incredible and the staff is so friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. The wine is phenomenal- our visit to their store ended with 3 cases being shipped home. I'd like to especially recognize Marco and Michael in the restaurants, who were extraordinarily attentive and fun! Kudos to Relais & Chateaux for saving this village and creating such a remarkable place!
Ellen and Doug Ellis
Virginia Brach, Va.

Reviewed 22 May 2015

The whole village-turned-hotel experience is very interesting and beautiful. Lunch on a nice day at the outdoor area of the casual restaurant was lovely.

Unfortunately, when we checked in we were greeted with bad attitude, no smile. Our reservation also gave us free olive oil and wine tasting, but the staff merely pointed to where we can do it but failed to tell us that we needed to make an appointment for them. As we didn't get a chance to do it until morning we leave, we couldn't do it in the end because we didn't make an appointment. Also when we asked if the hotel could break a 500 dollar bill for us they simply looked in the front desk drawer and said they couldn't. They didn't try to go the extra step and see if they can make it happen, maybe ask the restaurants. I expected better service than this.

I had high hopes for this hotel, considering the price, but can only come away thinking it was so-so experience overall. The property was undeniably beautiful, but the ice cold service makes me not want to stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled with family
4  Thank darbi101
Reviewed 15 May 2015

We just returned home from an amazing stay at Borgo San Felice. The staff were terrific and the surroundings incredible. To be able to live in a former historic village with so much charm is incredible. Panoramic vineyard views in all directions and world class cycling. Can't say enough about BSF....wow.

Room Tip: Vineyard view
1  Thank Kevin M