“Lovely food which could be brilliant”
Review of Holy Phok

Holy Phok
Ranked #25 of 336 Restaurants in Hove
Price range: US$4 - US$15
Description: Modern and funky Vietnamese restaurant, offering big, tasty bowls of farm to table meat and herbs, local beers, German wines and plenty of smiles in a uniquely designed interior
Reviewed 28 September 2017

Holy Phok as a venue is small but perfectly formed. Great decor, good music, lovely staff, perfect service and food that was great with flashes of brilliant.

I started with the prawn star - shrimp crackers, fresh and ungreasy, served with prawns in lime juice with mango, Thai basil and chilli. This was probably my favourite dish of the evening as it was punchy, spicy without being overwhelming and totally refreshing. Every mouthful was a little pallet cleanser and I would definitely order it again.

For my main course I chose the bao wow tofu, as (whisper it) I'm not a fan of pho. Two delightful bao buns with fried tofu, pickled vegetables, bean sprouts, peanuts, chilli and a side of 'herb slaw'. The buns were fantastic but overall I thought the dish lacked seasoning. It could have done with something on the salty/sour spectrum to bring it to life. I was hoping the slaw would have elements of a som tum to it but as this is Vietnamese food rather than Thai I can't really complain. A splash of lime and some fish sauce, plus a bit more heat would have elevated the whole dish to another level. Fish sauce, hoisin and homemade chilli sauce (delicious) were all available on the table and adding some of all three almost solved the problem but citrus would have really made the difference.

On the waitress's recommendation, I chose the chocolate and coffee brownie for pudding and went with the green matcha ice cream. The ice cream was the most disappointing thing I ate - couldn't taste the tea at all and, whilst it was pleasantly rich and creamy, it was so bland that if it hadn't been for its colour I'd have thought the flavouring had been left out altogether. The brownie however was fantastic. If you like them rich, gooey and indulgent, this is the brownie for you.

I can highly recommend the Fritz Spritz rhubarb for a non-alcoholic drink. My friends had mint tea at the end of the meal and were offered free hot water refills which was a nice touch, surprisingly rarely seen. The bill for three of us came to under £70, including service, which was very reasonable. All-in-all, a lovely evening.

Reviewed 14 September 2017 via mobile

My friend had booked as really wanted to try. ....Small restaurant so booking is essential. ..I have not tried very much Vietnamese food before so excited to try. .We had the crackers to start with a Funky Monkey cocktail both great. .We shared the mushroom starter which was also good. ..Had the Tofu buns for my mains clean and beautiful taste loved them. ..The restarant has waving cats on the wall and throughout which is sweet. .All staff were attentive and service was friendly and professional. Also my dipping sauce was changed to a veggie one ,which was a nice touch so check when served to you ..Thank you for a lovely night. .

1  Thank JCollins2014
Reviewed 8 September 2017 via mobile

My noodles in the pho were quite over cooked and the broth was nothing special. I have had much better pho elsewhere and for cheaper! The decor though is very nice and the staff attentive.

2  Thank Emilia H
Reviewed 3 September 2017 via mobile

After a little shopping trip , my girlfriend and I like a couple of drinks and some food on a Saturday . We had sat in the sun with a pint and decided to head into Hove in search of food. We had both said that we wanted to try something different and within moments of agreeing , we stumbled upon Holy Phok. A couple of items on the menu caught my eye so in we went. We were welcomed with beaming smiles and were made to feel genuinely welcome. We chose to share a bowl of Pho to start . A beef noodle soup with beansprouts etc. On the side you have lime , chilis, soy sauce etc which you add to your own taste. Wow !! This was absolutely gorgeous. The chilis really were hot ( we were warned )
But I do love that heat. The beef was very tender and just melted in your mouth. Tip... do not wear a white shirt because it is a little difficult to eat without getting some on you . We drank Shanghai beer which was ice cold and cooled down the chilli heat .
For mains I had a Pork Dat Bao with Vietnamese slaw. Well... imagine the best party you have ever been to and then multiply that by 10 , roll it up and put it in your mouth !! That was the taste. Absolute heaven !!
My girlfriend had Float My Boat Fishcakes with the most amazing lime / chilli dressing... another brilliant party in the mouth !!
We had a bit of banter with the owners and they explained various methods of cooking etc to us. Great people
All in all a wonderful end to a lazy afternoon. This place is very laid back and relaxed with a basic but effective decor. Some nice deep house was playing , just in the background which added a real cool vibe to the place. So glad we stumbled upon it ... yes , we will definitely return. SOON !!

Reviewed 1 September 2017 via mobile

My partner and I have been wanting to try this for a while. We've gotten excited about various places in Brighton, and they've not quite lived up to expectations - Holy Phok has restored our faith. The food was outstanding, service prompt and the atmosphere unbeatable. The decor was inspired! We will definitely be returning!