“Amazing!”

Shepton Mallet Prison - Jailhouse Tours
Ranked #1 of 5 Tours in Shepton Mallet
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Shepton Mallet prison, was built in 1610 and for the past 400 years has be home to 1000's of criminals. Now its been opened to the public by Jailhouse tours, who run daily guided tours of the site, evening ghost tours, escape events, prison experience events and history days. Truly one of the UKs best visitor attractions Shepton Mallet prison tours are one not to be missed.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Baby buggy parking
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Went on the guided tour today and the experience was amazing. The guide Howard was very knowledgable and friendly. The tour was made so that there was interaction, time to wonder by yourself while being able to ask the tour guide questions. The tour was very informative and Howard was very good at interacting with the crowd. He had a very good way of telling the history of the prison and its involvement in the war. Overall, it was a very good experience and I would definitely recommend.

All reviews
"warm clothing"
"fascinating insight"
"firing squad"

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Went here with a group of friends on a cold Tuesday afternoon and did our own thing, I was a bit sceptical because I do believe in ghosts but I wasn’t sure if I would feel any presence, the whole experience was amazing and some of the areas of the prison were definitely haunted, we took lots of pictures and one in particular showed a light shining through an area in the room but there was no window, the room was dark when we visited, some parts of the prison are very old and it’s really helpful to read facts as you go around, I will be back and hopefully do a night tour if anyone is brave enough to come with me!

Reviewed 29 March 2018

2 hrs well spent and enlightened by our guide, former prison officer Howard and his ‘own’ style of delivery. Never realised the national importance related to the prison esp. the use of ‘C’ wing during WWII. A much larger site than I would have thought. Maybe not the ‘interactive’ experience as is mentioned on website and much more could be made of archive material and the way it’s presented. Nonetheless, I would certainly recommend Shepton Mallet Jailhouse Tour.

Reviewed 29 March 2018

Having a couple of hours to spend in Shepton Mallet I visited the prison last weekend. I wandered about by myself rather than go on one of the tours (the timings didn't work for me) but it didn't take long using the map provided to find my way around. I managed to take loads of photos and it has motivated me to improve the wikipedia article on the prison - to help with the this popped into the town library for a copy of the book by Disney which is the only published history.