Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Rob Roy Hotel(Aberfoyle)(Great Value!)
US$70
US$60
  • Breakfast included
The Lake of Menteith Hotel(Port of Menteith)
US$97
  • Breakfast included
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel(Luss)(Great Value!)
US$164
Winnock Hotel(Drymen)(Great Value!)
US$82
US$76
Agoda.com
US$80
US$74
Travelocity
Loch Long Hotel(Arrochar)(Great Value!)
US$81
Travelocity
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
2,158 results
All reviewsforest hillsgarden restaurantleisure facilitiessteam roombeautiful locationrafters bistromain restaurantafternoon teaevening mealexecutive roomboth nightsself cateringwaiting staffbottle of wineloch viewrelaxing stayamazing views
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

This hotel is stunning, fabulous location over looking a Loch. The gardens are manicured and well maintained and you can’t get a better view.

The rooms are a great size and beds comfortable. Unfortunately we were on a ground floor overlooking the car park rather than the Loch so we had to keep the curtains drawn the whole time we were in the room otherwise was like being in a fish bowl.

The spa is a total let down - it’s next door to the hotel and unfortunately there is some kind of self catering holiday park next door which shares the spa. The pool was over run with kids, jumping and splashing even in the swim lane. Jacuzzi was full the whole time with loads of people. So not a spa experience at all, felt like I had rocked up to some kind of Caravan Park. Very disappointing on this front.

The staff are generally quite sweet, however have to ask multiple people to get any kind of answer. Lots of European staff here and their England is quite poor. Food and drink really over priced for what it is. £18pp for breakfast!
Amazing fire in one of the lounges and great views from the dining room. Looks tired though and could do with a bit of a freshen up.

We had spent two days at the Macdonald Holyrood hotel and spa in Edinburgh before arriving here for two night. The two are not comparable. We had the most fantastic experience at the Holyrood and arriving here I guess we expected the same. Have been left rather disappointed and surprised at the difference in standards. The biggest let down by far is the spa, if you want a spa hotel do not come here! We got out after a few mins as was just crap. Didn’t come here with kids and felt like I was in a pool at holiday camp. Most un-relaxing hotel experience I’ve ever had. So if you do come here, be sure to skip the spa and make the most of the views over the front lawn instead.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Andrew D, General Manager at Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thanks for the review, I am pleased to read that there were positives to your stay. Our resort consists of a hotel and self catering apartments, all of which are family friendly and the school holidays tend to result in lots of families and younger guests, I'm sorry that you felt this detracted from your enjoyment. Your comments are appreciated however and I hope that we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This place is such a beautiful place to go. The grounds and scenery are so stunning. There is a waterfall on the grounds that is very calming and giant chess on the lawn . Rooms are very clean and spacious. The staff were very pleasant and informative. The only downside for us was the food. my main meal was cold and dessert over cooked, other than that would highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: we were in room 3 with a balcony, had a dining room table and chairs so great for room service, £5 tray charge.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Karen B

Thanks for the review, Im pleased that you had such a lovely stay! Thanks for choosing to stay with us and I hope that we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Stayed for 4 nights over New Year 2018. Its a lovely tranquil location within the gently rolling hills and forests and lochs. The accommodation was luxurious, very clean and well maintained, especially the beds (which I couldn't get on the roof rack). The complex includes small pool, big enough to work up an appetite, sauna, Jacuzzi and steam room. There is also a gym. Massages and other therapies are available. There is a bar with pool table, dart board, full sized snooker table, etc etc. The only nag I have is the price of the beer, £4.80 for a can of Guinness, hence only bought 1 in 4 days. The walks from the complex are gentle and pleasant. Nearby Aberfoyle has shops, pubs, touristy things, a Spar (which sells beer), a butcher (haggis), the two pubs do a great range of whiskey, what more is there?

Stayed: January 2018

Thanks for the great review, I am very pleased that you enjoyed your time with us. I do hope it will not be too long until we see you again.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Discovered my son was to propose to his long term girlfriend while staying at the hotel. As we live over 100 miles away I called and spoke to a Daniel at Reception to find out what we could do to congratulate them. Unknown to my son they upgraded his room and when he phoned me with the good news I called Daniel back to go ahead with what we organised earlier, wine at the table, flowers and a congratulation card from us. We were so chuffed with the support and help from the hotel in particular Daniel. Son proposed in the beautiful hotel gardens and had a fantastic stay. Many thanks.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family

Thanks for the great review, Im so pleased that we were able to be part of such an important experience!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

My friend bought myself and him a deal online, which included a treatment and bed and breakfast. The deal was great well worth the money. The place itself is beautiful. The location is amazing plenty walks around the hotel and the grounds itself are kept well, even with wild goats and baby goats walking around!
The stay itself was good. The receptionist i cant remember her name (she said she has been working there around a month) was very friendly and nice. Always saying hi anytime we walked past, and was very friendly when checking us in and out. The bartender (a young hungarian guy) was also very friendly, serving us both the night and day we were there. Even the guy who topped up the fire in the lounge was making conversation with us! The staff we encountered were all fairly new, but they knew what they were doing and only added to the stay.
There were only 2 downfalls to the stay. 1 was it was quite expensive. Drinks and food were priced higher than expected, with a pint being 4.50. However, i have experienced worse prices, and when you get to enjoy your pint near a roaring fire, with a great view and lovely staff, you cant complain too much. Furthermore, the food wasnt the best. We both ordered a burger for room service, costing £14 each, with my friend adding cheese to his. The burger was ok, but the patty was quite small, and the cheese wasn't melted it was just slapped ontop. Definatley wasnt worth £14. Breakfast was good. Was hoping for a hot buffet because im a greedy gal, but sadly it wasnt to be. There was a cold buffet, which was good had a good range of choices. And the hot menu food was alright. Not amazing but nothing to complain about.

All in all great stay. Food needs to be improved but it wasnt bad enough to take away from the experience. Great staff, great setting, great experience. Im already planning on bringing my mum in summer. Would definatley recommend

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends

Thanks for the review, Im pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Thanks for the constructive feedback, its much appreciated. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.