“EAT HERE!!!”
Review of Arena Negra

Arena Negra
Ranked #10 of 58 Restaurants in Mazunte
Description: Terraza restaurante sobre la avenida principal, con un ambiente agradable y muy buen servicio. Ofrecimos comida de grande porciones y de buena calidad.
Reviewed 5 March 2021

Do not miss this restaurant. I had read the reviews before my trip and was super excited to eat there. True to the reviews, Arena Negra did not disappoint. The food they serve is fresh, beautiful, and delicious. It's a mingling of local Mexican, and Thai flavors. Sooo good.
My favorites, without a doubt, were the Shrimp Burger, the Combo Platter (too much food for one person!), and the Skewers. I don't dislike octopus, just not my go-to menu item. However, Arena Negra's chef has changed that for me. I don't know if its the marinade, the grilling technique, or the freshness of the octopus (probably a combination of all those things) but I am a huge fun of the octopus there.
And order one of the fresh sodas. I had the house-made ginger soda every time I dined at Arena Negra.
The owners take a lot of pride in the food and environment they’ve created and it shows. I will certainly be returning to Arena Negra.

Date of visit: November 2020
Write a reviewReviews (19)

Reviewed 29 December 2020

We loved our dinner at Arena Negra. We had coconut shrimp, hamburgers and spring rolls and every dish was absolutely spot on. The service was also impeccable and we loved the wine selection from Baja California. One can really tell that a lot of heart and effort is put into this restaurant. We will be back soon! Kisses from the Austrian family.

Date of visit: December 2020
1  Thank phie5
Reviewed 22 April 2020

My wife and I ate several times at this little restaurant, but we might not have found it if we weren't told where it is. Although its on the main street, you don't see it because it is located on the 2nd floor and only has a small sign.
You have to walk up a spiral staircase to get to it, but its worth every step. There is not pizza or pasta, its all local Oaxacan Mexican food which is excellent. Every dish was fantastic.
The main waitress/manager is Jessica. She and her husband run the place. She is fluent in both Spanish and English.

Reviewed 20 February 2020 via mobile

Great new place in Mezunte! Large menu. Everyone in our group loved their meals. Lots of veggies and they disinfect, clean all the vegetables. Huge salads and large portions of vegetables in every meal. This restaurant is very clean, well lit and the young couple who runs it is very attentive and wants to make sure you have an enjoyable experience. Must try!

1  Thank 585robinh
Reviewed 19 February 2020

This spot was recommended to us by a local and after our first meal we didn’t need to look any further for our second and last dinner in Mazunte! Located above the street on the second floor, Arena Negra is a charming spot with tasteful decor, very friend staff, a professional looking kitchen and delicious fresh food. We highly recommend this spot!