“Nice and cozy!”

Hotel Matina
Ranked #18 of 75 Hotels in Kamari
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 28 August 2011

Our stay at Hotel Matina was nice. First of all, the staff was warm and welcoming! They were nothing but friendly and helpful. Soon after we checked in, Vasso asked us if we wanted to move into a slightly larger room because someone else had cancelled. She had the staff move our luggage to a new room (first floor down from the lobby) which was spotless and a very spacious for the three of us. There are two buildings….I definitely preferred staying in the main building because you walk in from the front and pass the lobby. The other building has a back entrance without a lobby.
Internet in the lobby was available (1euro for 14 minutes)
Breakfast was very good--- a nice selection of yogurt, fresh fruits, pastries, and even eggs. Just make a left out of the hotel and it was a short walk to the bus stop and the beach. Pool was nice too!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 26 August 2011

We had a great time at hotel Matina, our kids were playing all time next to the clear swimming pool, and we had a very nice time at Kamari! Strongly reccommended for families with kids and dogs...
Breakfast is excellent, with lots of many home-made cakes (thanks Matina! for a different cake every day).

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2011

The Matina is a small family-run hotel that is friendly and relaxed. There is a pleasant veranda looking over the pool where you can eat breakfast. The pool area has lots of comfy chairs and beds with umbrellas and a small bar that is open from 10 am until late for drinks and snacks. There are plants and greenery everywhere and the hotel has a cool boutique feel to it.

Our room was quite large and airy by Greek standards and well furnished with it's own little balcony with a table and chairs - looking out onto yet more creepers and plants.

No wifi but many cafes and bars have it. The hotel has a laptop in reception that costs 1 euro per 15 mins.

The breakfast is buffet style with plenty of fruit, dried fruits, cereals, ham, bread and cheese, eggs etc.. Very good tea and coffee in unlimited quantities.

The beach is only a 5 minute stroll away. The hotels that say they are on the beach are in fact amongst the cafes and bars and there is a road between them and the beach. Passersby all look in to view the bathers around the pool and it must be like being an exhibit at the zoo.

There is a very good family-run restaurant just around the corner from the Matika (The Sedaras or something like that) that is half the price of most others with better food.

All in all a lovely hotel that is good value and in a good location. The only negative I would mention is that the entrance is on a dangerous bend and the traffic on the narrow roads goes very fast. It might be difficult to negotiate prams and small children or elderly people safely.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank alan c
Reviewed 24 July 2011

This was a great stay. Our family loved the hotel and its location. It is a small walk to the beach. The staff treat you with great respect and always find ways to make you comfortable. The owners are great people and you really feel like you are visiting family. They look out for you and recommend the right places for you. They do not try to profit off of you. I will go again and again to this hotel. The rooms were spotless. The entire hotel is very very clean. We were very pleased in this trip. We were in room #33.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank wal2ban
Reviewed 4 July 2011

I chose Hotel Matina for a trip with a friend, as part of a larger wedding group, based to a significant degree on the reviews on this site which is why I feel compelled to add my own, at slight odds as they are with other reviews. Now, let me start with the positives as I am well aware that my own experience of this hotel is due largely to personal circumstances and I do believe that there are aspects to recommend here.

To start then, the location is really good. It's about 5 minutes walk or less to one end of the beach, and at one end of the promenade. You do end up walking further to get in the midst of the action however I personally quite like being a bit away from it as it feels like you're leaving the hustle and bustle and retreating to your own bit of quiet. It's also overlooking a mountain/hill which makes up for a lack of sea view. The hotel itself is really nice, the pool is perfectly adequate and the bedroom size roomy and very clean (beware though the maids who will tidy your things away in all sort of crazy places - including but not limited to - an after sun lid. Oh yes).

To the not so positive....breakfast is pretty poor for this standard of accommodation. I'm not one to criticise breakfasts usually, continental breakfasts are what they are and I love a bit of juice, cheese and ham. Shame this was one of the lower examples of it, without it being a lower example (ie cost) of hotel. The other, and major really, complaint is the unfriendly, inhospitable staff. One woman in particular, so in a way I feel bad that she is tarring the others who were in the main quite nice. You'll know which woman I'm referring to as soon as you step in the hotel. From arrival neither myself or the other female guest were welcomed with so much as a hello. Just a curt nod and a VERY surly expression. Week draws on and this worsens rather than improves (we were perhaps not the world's best guests, I will concede that, being young and on a fairly 'party' style holiday - but how was she to know this first off?!). She was really not very nice at all. We also got no help or offer of assistance, ideas of what to do etc. Which, as both of us seasoned holidaymakers, we are used to getting. There was never any assistance with suitcases either, despite there being no lift to the floors above. So, overall, a rather dissatisfying experience.

To me personally, I was caught up in a strike, and therefore had issues getting from Santorini to Athens - the only time I felt I was receiving help with this little did I know they were charging me for every and anything. I know, a charge is a charge - but when you have a female (by then solo) traveller is some distress in your hotel reception, using the internet for about 5 seconds - really?! I was also going to pick up a new ferry ticket from the travel agent round the corner, was told to go with one of the staff to the larger town (Fira), he then forgot about me/it, had to rush me there on his motorbike, and they charged me for that too! Then he took a full cab of people to the port and charged them all the full 20 Euro transfer. Why?! I was going to take a bus to save funds, the only reason I had no time to do so was because I was told to go to Fira as opposed to the local travel agency which I'm sure would have been fine, but then got charged for the privilege. And the way they were about it all was really, don't worry, we'll sort it out. To think that they profited from the strike!

So you see, this is clearly in part to do with my own circumstances and I'm sure a good time could be had here. But, if you're after genuine, honest, and good service then I'm sure there are plenty of similar hotels that would offer you that included and for the same price. I would not go back here nor would I recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank DaniSaff
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kamari
4.2 km away
0.5 km away
Anassa Deluxe Suites
Anassa Deluxe Suites
#2 of 75 in Kamari

Been to Hotel Matina? Share your experiences!