“GREAT, BUT COULD BE BETTER”

Australian Outback Spectacular
Book In Advance
More Info
US$102.98*
and up
Australian Outback Spectacular Gold Coast
Ranked #1 of 9 things to do in Oxenford
More attraction details
Owner description: A legend returns in a stunning Australian Outback Spectacular show presented by Ringers Western. Join us as we saddle up for a captivating journey to the high country where legendary yarns come alive with inspiring stories of the Australian characters. Be dazzled by amazing animals, death defying stunts, a stirring musical score and enchanting special effects. Speed and precision is not just confined to the arena with High Country hospitality demanding that every visitor to the mountains be well fed. So, forty of our stockmen and women are on hand to serve up a three course gourmet Aussie feast with beer, wine or soft drink to every member of the audience. All in record time of course. With more drama, action, humour and excitement than ever before, Australia’s favourite dinner and show is more than a night out – Witness the bravery, beauty and courage of the greatest Australian stories never told... The Return of High Country Legends.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 2 April 2018

The venue is great, Starts with a large barn like area with entertainment and paid for drinks. Also photo opportunities with dogs and horses. The show was very good and the food whilst basic was of good quality and quantity. What let it down was the choice they made for the included beer and wine. The beer was in my opinion the worst they could chose and the wine was basic, tasted like cask. The service with the beer was good, the service with the wine was too slow. They were onto the second round of beer when I got my first round of wine. Also, the people serving the drinks needed to smile, they let the whole side down.We were in the red area evening of 27th March. Worst part was a rude tall young man who I asked for another wine, not what he said, but how he said it. Otherwise a great evening.............

VRTP_CC, Guest Relations Manager at Australian Outback Spectacular, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Hi Stuart A, thanks for taking the time to share your review. We’re sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy your beverage selection and that the service provided didn’t meet your expectations. We’re always looking to improve our guest experience, and we’ll ensure your feedback is shared with our team. Something to keep in mind for your next visit is our upgraded packages, which include a premium beverage selection if this is more suitable for you. We’re happy to hear you had a great evening overall and look forward to welcoming you again in future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,993)
All reviews
in 159 reviews
"overseas visitors"
in 52 reviews

Reviewed 29 March 2018

Fantastic show featuring very talented horses & riders plus other stunt riders. Show was highlighting the High country of australia. Three course meal plus drinks was included. Food was really nice & even though it was served during show it was not a distraction. Excellent value for money. Was greeted at door with a cowboy hat. Had entertainment in bar area before actual show started. It was a great night out would highly recommend it.

VRTP_CC, Guest Relations Manager at Australian Outback Spectacular, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

Hi jennyg1955, thanks for your review. We are so happy to hear you had a great night out with us. We always appreciate hearing from our guests and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 28 March 2018

Lovely food and experience. Excellent food served by efficient staff who are more than helpful An all round evening of entertainment. The show was colourful and told a story. The horses and dogs are so well trained and to see the horses jump over fire made you hold your breathe. The riders were so versatile and must have had years of experience with horses/animals. Well worth a visit.

VRTP_CC, Guest Relations Manager at Australian Outback Spectacular, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2018

Hi lellydw, thanks for your review. We are happy to hear you had a great night out with us. We always appreciate hearing from our guests and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 23 March 2018

I went to see this show with a girlfriend who had previously been twice. I'm not exactly sure why. I have seen other shows like this previously, including Cavalia. Anyone who has any idea about horses.... don't bother...

I appreciate that the "show" is set up for the busloads of tourists - who have no idea about horses.... so for those of you who are reading this review and understand the tone of what I am trying to say - DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY on this "experience".

We paid for the "top rail" experience. It was an experience. None of it was good.

Allegedly you get treated like "rock stars" when you arrive wait for it, on the red carpet! They give you a free straw "hat" which is tragically sad when you look inside and it says "made in China" - so there's the first giveaway about the products and show about to come your way... It is called the "Australian Outback Spectacular".

So you then get shuffled along into an area where they have a green screen and take your photo - shuffle you off into the area where you can purchase all types of paraphernalia (again not Australian made).

So after you receive a lanyard, which entitles you to a free drink... and photo... it's all about the "up-sell" for the people who work there.... to watch the photographers tell people that they were unable to take photos in this waiting hall area.. and listen to the awful entertainment provided by someone singing on the back of a wagon.... to the dogs posing for photos with the reward from his handler. That's what he was interested - not the posing for a photograph.

I thought it was interesting that they had a jockey scale and images of Phar Lap on the wall - not sure why this was on display. Phar Lap was so far removed from running on the hills of Mansfield (the High Country)..... he was a champion racehorse. So I found that strange.

So we were told to be there by no later than 6.45pm. The doors to the arena were not opened until well after 8.15pm - so the torture of waiting around for our meal was just heightened. So I found the waiting around torturous, my ears were bleeding.

Eventually when we were allowed to go to our seats, I struggled to get a glass of water... the pumpkin soup was there before being able to re-hydrate!! I had to continuously chase staff up to get a glass of water, even though we were assigned an wait staff person.

Finally with the anticipation of seats filling, the "show" began. We were reminded and old that no filming on mobile phones, no flash photography, no noise making, etc etc - but with the pyrotechnics, the strobe lighting and loud music (already in the show) somehow they justify this by telling you it is because it MAY upset the animals (horses and dogs).... - I'm not sure why people can't take a blurry photo on their phones.... personally, I'm not sure why they'd want to.....

Again, it's about the staff coming around to take photos you can "purchase" of the experience - which are awful in themselves. I appreciate they have an active and limited timeframe to get the job done!

The show we were lucky enough to see was based on the "High Country" - it's based loosely around The Man From Snowy River, a much loved poem written by Banjo Patterson - which had also been made into a movie and released in 1982 - which remains a beloved part of Australian film. I suggest you hire this on DVD to get a better idea and sense of the "High Country" and the fondness is holds dear to many people.

The backdrop of the "high country" image - for the actors to pretend that's where they are..... laughable... the horses thankfully aren't overly used - and are of course, obedient and know their jobs. I had several laugh out loud moments with the show - the riding and the generalised whatever the actors were trying to involve the crowd with.

Again - if you know anything about horses.... the high country.... don't bother!! The horses couldn't even do lead changes nor jump over a prop of about 20 centimeters. But nobody can film this - because it might fighten the horses....

The Main meal arrived about 9pmish. So by this time, we were both pretty hungry. It was nice - but not worth $140.00 that we paid. Again we had to ask for a glass of water or drink.

Again, I appreciate that the show is purely set up for tourists.... To these tourists that think that this show represents the high country, they should invest in actually going to the real High Country in Victoria and have a real experience.

I also couldn't fathom the "circus" part of the show.... it was well out of place with the theme. Just didn't gel for me.

The staff that had to stand and "pass the hat" around to see who could do it quicker...
The riders that try to "rev" up the atmosphere (or lack of it) with the general public watching with the hat waving... I've been to Texas... and been to a real rodeo... Just stop. My eyes had bled enough..

So the final part of the meal arrived at about 9.15pm.

That was the best part about the show and experience... the Apple Pie desert!! It was the only good thing I can rate about the "Australian Craptacular Experience".

Everything else is non genuine and all about the upsell.... spend... spend... spend...
No thanks... the $280.00 spent for a meal and awful show was enough...

I couldn't wait to leave...... so as they all rode into the arena with the white drizabone's with the flashing lights and the Australian Flag... was enough... my eyes had bled enough...

In fact, do yourself a favour - and don't go...

I give it 1 star for the Apple Pie.... and the cream.....

ZERO Stars for the actual show

3  Thank Jenelle C
VRTP_CC, Guest Relations Manager at Australian Outback Spectacular, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2018

Hi Jenelle, thanks for taking the time to share you feedback with us. We are sorry to hear your expectations were not met by us on your recent visit. We have sent your feedback onto our management team for review.