“Best Beach Bum vacation yet!!”

El Dorado Casitas Royale, by Karisma
Ranked #27 of 389 Hotels in Riviera Maya
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 27 April 2012 via mobile

Very relaxing, romantic atmosphere that my husband and I enjoyed every minute of. The staff, rooms, food, and service far exceeded our expectation! We absolutely loved the private feeling of the Casitas and would definitely choose to stay there again. This was a surprise vacation from my husband and I have now been spoiled on my expectations for all inclusives!!! Sarah@beachbumvacations.com gave my husband all his advice and has yet again went above and beyond to make a vacation we dreamed of!

• Stayed: March 2012
3  Thank Caudol19
There are newer reviews for El Dorado Casitas Royale, by Karisma

Reviewed 25 April 2012

My new husband and I stayed in casita 2915 from 4/10/12 - 4/17/12 for our honeymoon...

Things we loved:

The casita/pool setup. Most of the time, there were just a few (less than 6) people at our pool, and often times we were by ourselves. Our bartender most of the week was Soloman, and he was super nice.
There were all kinds of places to get away…plenty of loungers at the pool, tons of palapas (each with 2 loungers) on the beach, several hammocks for each casita section.
The pool & beach butlers brought cold bottled water in the morning, a cooler with fresh warm ham & cheese or grilled chicken & cheese sandwiches around 1:00, popsicles in the afternoon that were delicious.
The bars were great…plenty of drinks to choose from. Loved the swings next to the bar.
The best thing we ate the whole trip was the paella at Las Olas on Tuesday when we arrived. It’s a Tuesday special that for some reason they don’t advertise, but they definitely should. It was delicious.
Breakfast at Fuentes…includes everything from Cocotal’s buffet, but added Mexican treats make it even better. Try the watermelon power juice. AMAZING.
Lunch at La Isla…the buffet is awesome. Tons of options. The day we went, there was a salad bar, gazpacho bar, crepe station, plus you could also order off the regular menu.
Jojo’s…the coconut ice cream is to die for. Definitely the best atmosphere (by far), since it’s the only restaurant right next to the ocean. Also, the tamarind & olive oil dipping sauce for bread was delicious.
The pizzeria was good as well. The taco pizza and taquitos were delicious.
Two massages…one inside, and the other next to the beach. I definitely preferred the beach one. The water therapy was great as well. Def plan ahead so you can enjoy that.
The grounds were amazing and well kept.
The golfcart service was nice…we tried to walk whenever we could. It was only 15 minutes from one end of the resort to the other, but sometimes it was nice to get a ride.
Room service was nice and fast. We used this several different times when we were needing something little before the next meal.
The honeymoon breakfast they delivered to the room was amazing and delicious.
The lobster dinner on the beach was nice. The lobster course specifically was delicious, and they even threw in a filet of beef. The rest of the meal was just ok.
There are books in the concierge office that you can take to read and return or keep. Didn’t find this out until the very end, but was able to read “The Vow” which I’d been wanting to read.

-------------

Things we didn’t love:

The view from the room…we had a second floor casita (2915), but it was in the very middle, so we didn’t have much of an ocean view. Next time, we would try to request one closer to the ocean in hopes of a better view. Our view was mostly the roof of the bar.
The beach…I knew this coming in, but I was still sad when we were there that we couldn’t easily swim in the ocean.
Our biggest complaint is that they need to provide complete and accurate information to all the guests. That lack of information was annoying. Even though you had the concierge and we stopped there every day to see if there was any new info, we felt like we had to figure everything out on our own.
There should be an updated book of all the information in the room so that you can view. Should include restaurant menus (even if they’re just samples) for the main restaurants and the smaller gourmet corners. They should mention that Jojo’s has a specialty burger menu, the paella at Las Olas on Tuesdays, etc.
Our concierge said we had to make dinner reservations every night, but it took 4 days to get into La Isla for dinner and 6 days to get into Kampai. However, most of the time when we went to any of the restaurants, there were plenty of tables available.
We booked our second massage specifically at 8am, so that we could enjoy the water therapy beforehand (since they opened at 7). However, when we got the spa, they said the water therapy didn’t open until 9.
The worst part of the whole trip was our last dinner at Fuentes. I’d read the reviews that everyone hated this place, but we loved breakfast so much, we decided to give dinner a shot. Unfortunately, we saved it for the last one, and they were advertising a special menu the chef would be presenting via a cooking demo that would be followed by their standard dinner buffet. When we actually arrived for dinner, no one seemed to know anything about the chef demo, and the dinner buffet wasn’t any good. The breakfast buffet was much better. Had we known there wasn’t going to be the demo, we could’ve made arrangements to go elsewhere in the resort or maybe even to Playa del Carmen.
Wish they provided more snack-type food in the room. They usually had pretzels in the mini bar, and later in the week, they added a candy bar which was great, but other than that there weren’t any snacks. I’m sure this is totally normal for an all-inclusive, but I wish they let you choose some snacks to keep in your room or take to the beach/pool.
Although we loved breakfast and lunch (once we figured out where to go), the dinners were completely lackluster. I’m a total foodie, but I also love normal food, too. I wasn’t wowed by any of the dinners we had, even the Italian or Kampai. We ate at all the restaurants, and kept hoping to be amazed, but it didn’t happen. If they’re going to promote “gourmet inclusive”, they need to improve the dinners tremendously.

In the end, I think we would go back, but I think we’ll try some other places first.

Room Tip: Request an end casita in section 29 and up. That way, you get to enjoy the lazy river.
6  Thank wild1la
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We've been to a couple of resorts in Mexico but this one was by far the biggest and quietest we've stayed at. We stayed in the Casitas section and felt like royalty with our own swim up pool, deck chairs, bed on the deck, and King Size bed in our room with Jacuzzi and outdoor shower. It was amazing!

The staff here work very hard to keep the grounds clean and tidy, and beach butlers and bar tenders are aplenty. Each casita section has it's own pool and bar so it never seemed crowded even though the resort was at 100% capacity. The only busy pool was the Fuentes Pool, but even then it wasn't overwhelming

There is a bicycle tour, camel rides, horseback riding and more. Nightly entertainment is quite well done with singing, dancing and a variety of shows.

The beach is nice over in the Casitas area but rocky/shells/seaweed towards the Royale end of the resort. The wind was quite strong everyday so it made swimming impossible, but wading was nice. There are tons of beach beds and loungers so you never have to look far for one.
Blue towels come from the Royale Side, Brown towels from the Casita side and you are supposed to stick to your own loungers in your own areas, though the Casita guests can go anywhere on the resort.

The restaurants were fantastic, with bottomless amounts of pretty gourmet food. The wine is even pretty good! D'Italia Casitas and Kampai were the best restaurants for supper, while Cocotal is the best for breakfast. Lunch is good at Jo Jo's and La Isla. We never had to reserve for supper as we always went between 6 and 7. There were plenty of tables, but if you went after 7 the places really filled up so you might want to reserve ahead with your concierge. Leisey and Fernando in Casitas section 28 (we stayed in 2812) were excellent and very helpful! See Leisey, I told you I'd give you two well deserved praise!

If you feel lazy and want to stay by your pool for lunch, the beach butlers bring you sandwiches, ice cream, popsicles and drinks. There is also a travelling hot dog/hamburger cart and they are made fresh and delicious!

My hubby and friends took a deep sea fishing trip out of the Maroma resort and caught 12 fish that day. It was a fantastic trip for him!

No real negatives to report. I did have one cockroach run up my arm at night in the bathroom, but it quickly went out the door with my shrieks! I didn't see anymore after that. There were a lot of lizards and gheckos around which I love to watch.

We were with a large group of people. Some experienced no hot water in their rooms on the Royale side, and there is lots of construction going on right now but it is all necessary stuff. Hurricane Wilma really did some damage to this place and they have their hands full with a big place but they try to make it as quiet as possible, and hidden behind tasteful barricades. If you have a lot of walking to do and need to catch the shuttles, they run every 20 minutes from assigned areas. I'd recommend the back path behind the Casitas/Royale side as the best place to catch them, as they don't run as frequently on the beach side paths. Also, watch out for the red golf carts as they are taking people on the "timeshare tours" and don't slow down for anyone!!

Any questions? I'd be happy to answer them. Just drop me a line.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Swim Up Casitas and would defintely stay here again. We were in section 28, but 29...
2  Thank seifert1
Reviewed 22 April 2012

The food and the staff were excellent. The grounds are beautifully maintained.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We just returned from our second trip to El Dorado Royale and we had a fabulous time. This time we traveled with two other couples to the resort and everyone gave it a thumbs up.

A little background... I am 32 and my husband is 44. We have traveled to Mexico together several times and love it there. Other adult resorts we have stayed at are Dreams Cancun (average) and Excellence Rivera Maya (above average). We have also stayed at El Cid which is a family resort (above average). This resort is by far our favorite.

We traveled in April and it was sunny and 84 the whole week. The weather could not have been better.

THE ROOMS:
We stayed in the Casitas both times so I don't know much about the rooms in the regular part of the resort but the Casitas are amazing. The hotel did its best to locate our party as close together as possible and everyone was happy with the rooms. I will say the first time we came we negotiated a very low upgrade charge to move us to the casitas. This time we just booked it but some friends of ours came the next week and were upgraded for free so it never hurts to try to get the upgrade. The bed was fine. We had no problems with it but that is probably different for everyone. This time our casita was a swim up with a sliding door straight to the back deck area with a table and an outdoor bed which is great for napping and getting out of the sun for a bit. The room was fairly large. It had a jacuzzi tub, a regular tub with shower, and a private outdoor shower (my favorite!). When you stay in the Casitas they also offer you the ability to make reservations at the restaurants which comes in handy when the resort is busy. It wasn't very busy when we were there but we did have some occasional waits when we didn't have reservations. The rooms do feature a mini bar that is restocked daily as well as a turn down service.

THE GROUNDS:
First off, the grounds are BEAUTIFUL. They are very well kept and clean.The resort is on the beach and spans one mile from one end to the other. They offer a golf cart transportation shuttle that runs every 15 minutes but we were happy to find it to run much quicker than that on most occasions.

THE BEACH:
If you are a person who desires immaculate beaches you might be disappointed in the beach here. It does have seaweed and the water is not a blue as some resorts like Maroma Beach. It also has the large sand barriers to protect the beach from erosion. We saw several people snorkeling out there. They didn't bother us but we rarely spend any time in the ocean as we prefer the pool. There was an abundance of chairs and we never had to get up early to "claim" them as you do at some resorts. They also had several of the beachfront beds in the casita area.

THE POOLS:
If you stay on the casita side it has private pools for casita guests. These pools were salt water pools which I didn't think I would like. Surprisingly I found them great and much easier on the skin and hair than chlorinated pools. Each casita is located in a group of about 16-20 rooms. Each of these groups has its own pool. Its much more intimate and you get to know people easily in this area. Its also pretty quiet. There are two larger main pools in the other part of the resort. One is located in the middle of the resort (its chlorinated instead of salt water) and is fairly relaxed. The other is located on the South side of the resort and is the activity/party pool. It has music and games going on daily to keep you busy and entertained.

THE SERVICE:
We found the service to be adequate. They were attentive without being overbearing. We went with several couples so we enjoyed a nice leisurely dinner. Some staff went the extra mile to earn it and some did not. Generally the wait staff in the restaurants were very good. At the pool we mostly had to wait on ourselves as they didn't have many pool waiters running around. Our pool bartender Maximiliano was excellent.

THE FOOD:
Overall the food was MUCH better than the average all-inclusive. They claim to be a gourmet all inclusive and I would have to agree. For breakfast we liked to eat at Kampai or CoCotel. Kampai is more relaxed and quiet and features a menu to order from (if you don't like it as it is on the menu just tell them what you want and they will make it for you) and Cocotel is a busier buffet breakfast with an omelet bar. We really didn't eat breakfast anywhere else. For lunch we liked JoJo's but also did some easy options like just ordering room service or going to the Pizza and Burger place by the main pool. For dinner, we loved Kampai, D'Italia, and La Isla. For dinner most places offered a house wine at no charge... which was great. Something to note is that the portion sizes in the restaurants is smaller than we Americans are used to but I actually liked that because it allows you to try more things. You can always order multiple entrees or a second portion if you are still hungry.

BARS/NIGHTLIFE
This resort is very peaceful and there is not a ton going on at night. They do offer live music, dj music, some shows, and etc at the swing bar until 2am but the crowd dwindles as the night goes on. Overall this resort has a more relaxed feel. We loved the beach side bar in the Casita area just in front of Kampai. I believe its called Gaviotas. Juan was our bartender and he was great. He kept the drinks flowing. The lobby bar is very cosmopolitan. We had a great time there.

ACTIVITIES:
I will be honest and say that laying by the pool was my biggest desire while on vacation. One day a friend and I did take a bike ride. The resort offers the bikes for no charge. That was fun. We also used the workout facility once. Its small but adequate during non-peak times. There are plenty of excursions that you can book for a charge. The hotel also offers a complimentary shopping trip to Cancun or Playa del Carmen on selected days. They fill up quickly so I would recommend booking them ahead of time if you know you want to go. For shopping I prefer Playa... Its a little smaller but offers everything you need for shopping and is less commercialized than Cancun.

THE SPA:
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.... is all I can say here. The spa was AMAZING. I highly recommend it. (Book early in your stay in case of sunburn). My husband and I did the couples outdoor massage on the beach and it was wonderful. I went back with a friend and had an individual massage. I liked that one better but only because it was quite and I was able to relax a little more than when I was on the beach where you can hear people. Both massage therapists I had were amazing. If you do book a massage I recommend going one hour early for the complimentary aquatic therapy. It has a hot tub, an ice cold dipping pool, and a pool with several jets that massage different areas on your body. There is also a steam room and a sauna in the dressing area. If you have a late departure time on your last day and want to get in some extra beach or pool time you can use the showers in the spa area before you leave.

Overall, you will have the kind of vacation that you want at this resort. If you want to be outgoing and meet people to hang out with... you can. If you want to stick to yourself and relax in peace and quiet... you can. In my opinion the resort is excellent... its not perfect and there are always naysayers who cannot be pleased... but after two times at this resort I would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: I recommend the Casita upgrade!
9  Thank lovethesun0413