The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
US$309
US$293
Official Website
  • Breakfast included
Mahekal Beach Resort(Playa del Carmen)
US$150
  • Breakfast included
Riviera Maya Suites(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$143
US$126
The Palm at Playa(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$188
US$164
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
Maya Villa Condo Hotel & Beach Club(Playa del Carmen)
US$154
US$149
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$419
US$319
  • Beachfront
US$419
US$287
Melia.com
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$332/night.

La Pasion Hotel Boutique by Bunik(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$50
La Tortuga Hotel & Spa(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$95
US$92
  • Pool
Banyan Tree Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$464
US$352
HotelsClick
5,855 results
All reviewsbeach butleroutdoor showercasitas sectionhealth barpersonal conciergesanta fe grillcandlelight dinner on the beachour honeymoonroom servicegourmet inclusivebeach bum vacationsbellini barwine pairingartificial reefcasita suitepool bartenderbeach beds
Reviewed 7 May 2012

We booked this for our honeymoon and stayed in casitis 3027. The room was fabulous and we loved the outside shower. We could not fault the food and particularly liked the food at the asian resturant and the casitas italian. All the staff were very polite and helpful and the resort was very clean and well maintained. As this was our honeymoon we paid more than usual for this holiday but it was worth every penny and we would love to return .

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank sunset03
Reviewed 7 May 2012

We booked through a travel agent, ending up with Lomas Travel when we arrived. We were told the transfer from the airport was "nonstop" which it wasn't, but hey we were just in a good mood so we didn't care that we had to stop at one other resort on the way. The trip back to the airport was non-stop, didn't matter though b/c our flight was delayed.

We stayed in the swim-up casita 3130. Loved having our own pool with a bar and restaurant Las Olas (?) right there for quick snacks. We ended up walking down toward the Gaviotas Beach Bar every morning, claiming a beach bed, and relaxing most of the day. The bartender there would sometimes even walk over and bring us drinks (probably b/c we tipped each time).

We booked our trip for 5 nights, wished we would have had 1 or 2 more. It was fabulous. The concierges Jesus and Alan helped us out a lot and we felt take care of. We have a few very very ridiculous complaints:

1) mini-fridge in room= not cold just as many many others have written
2) the shuttles were difficult to find during the last part of our trip (Wed-Fri). It seemed like in the beginning of our trip (Sun-Tues), shuttles were everywhere- never 20 minutes apart as the resort indicates.
3) wi-fi= we tried to unplug the whole trip on purpose. However it would have been nice to access the internet when we were trying to find out about our return flight home. The casitas reception told us we had wi-fi in our room but that never worked. Not a big deal to us, but if you need that access I don't think this is the place for you. Not even phone calls worked from our casita.

Since it was our honeymoon, we had the honeymoon package with the beach massage, candlelight dinner, breakfast in the room and special decoration. It was all really nice. We did not pay the extra $40 for the lobster on the candlelight beach dinner, they were very up front with us about that cost. I never felt pressured to spend extra money or to tip the whole trip. We did have a strange experience in the main gift shop in which an item was mismarked. We were told that if we paid the lower price, a young pregnant staff member would have to pay the difference!! None of that ended up happening, and I was convinced it was all a ruse anyway to get us to pay full price for the item. Very uncomfortable but it was more laughable than upsetting.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Elizabeth C
Reviewed 7 May 2012

My wife and I spent several nights in the Casitas portion of the El Dorado Royale resort in late December 2011. First the good stuff. The casita was awesome and definitely worth the upgrade. The outdoor shower was neat, and its really nice that each set of casitas surround a private pool with a bar. Plus the beach is literally just steps away so that was great. The employees were helpful and friendly, although I did spend an entire afternoon on the beach without ever being approached once to see if we needed a drink or anything else. The food, however, was awful. I'm no foodie, but I do know the difference in good food and bad, and the food here definitely fits in the latter category. There were exceptions, such as the Italian restaurant (which was fantastic). And the Asian place was pretty good as well. But breakfast, lunch, and the other dinner restaurants were more along the lines of cafeteria food than fine dining. Don't get me wrong - - we had a great time and enjoyed the time away from the kids and the other hubbub of life for a few days - but expected a bit more from a place like this.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brandon M
Reviewed 4 May 2012

We stayed in the Royale section two years ago and loved every minute. We returned this year and booked a casita. We travelled with First Choice and the premium economy seats are worth every penny!
We were very lucky to be upgraded to an individual casita and were also given free WiFi. The casita was great and I can assure you that your privacy isn't compromised by being close to the pathway. Our maid did a good job but the little extras like towel animals and flowers tailed off after a few days although we left her a couple of dollars every day.
We loved the food on our first visit but the menu hadn't changed and we were disappointed by the quality and presentation of the food . I have photos from two years ago and the same dishes are not up to the high standard that we experienced then. We enjoyed breakfast at Cocotal, burgers from the cart that came to the pool area and lunch at La Isla. I particularly liked the seafood crepes. Many of the desserts seemed to have too much gelatine in them and the consistency was all wrong. The strangest dessert was at JoJo's and it was the banana tarte tatin. I ordered it and was looking forward to bubbling brown sugar on the banana and crisp pastry. The reality was a circle of cold pastry topped with large chunks of cold banana and no sauce! Very odd and certainly not worthy of being called gourmet.
The house wine really wasn't good and such a large organisation must be able to buy better quality wine. It would have been helpful if we could have bought wine by the glass and not have been obliged to buy a whole bottle.
I wish there were some benches dotted around the resort so that you could just sit and enjoy the beautiful scenery. Somewhere to get a good cup of coffee would also be appreciated.
The huge numbers of staff are always polite and helpful and they do a very good job of keeping the resort looking immaculate.
I doubt that we'll return to El Dorado.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cjwhols
Reviewed 4 May 2012

My husband and I spent 5 glorious days at the El Dorado Casita Royale, In the Riviera Maya, Mexico. We had an infinity pool casita room 3217, with private butler service. This resort provided everything that we could ask for and more. There is so much to say, but there are so many reviews and so much has been said already, so I will keep it simple and sweet. Yes, there are beach beds and beach butlers, who cater to your ever whim. Yes, there are pillow menus, your choice of aromatherapy, and nightly turn down service. The bed was too comfortable. I didn't want to get out of it, and it doesn't help motivate you to move when there is 24 hr room service, an AC with remote control and clean up service twice a day. WOW!!!
The grounds are beautiful, the food and drinks are good/plentiful, and there are no complaints about the beach, except I didn't want to leave it. Our Butler, Brenda went above and beyond to make our experience one to remember. She took the time out to make sure our room was decorated for my birthday, and our wedding anniversary. Rose petals & candles everywhere, champagne, bubbles in the jacquzzi and aroma therapy to make it perfect. If you can't be happy/satisfied at EDCR, you probably just can't be pleased! I would go back again, again, and again. From candlelight dinner on the beach, our couples massage, to just walking and all the staff calling us by name, I felt spoiled, relaxed and comfortable. If anyone has questions our wants to see pictures of the resort and our trip, please feel free to message me. Oh and a big THANKS to Samarah Meil, from Amarillo Travel Network! If it wasn't for Samarah we would have never experienced this little bit of heaven. She handled all our travel needs and then some! The Lomas staff and EDCR staff knew everything, we needed before our feet ever touched the ground in Mexico. Can't wait to get back there and do all the things that couldn't be done in just 5 days. I never knew how much superb customer service we've missed in our life untill we had it everyday. Now back to the real world.

Room Tip: Don't know how the other rooms are, but after our infinity pool casita, I couldn't have anything less. The only thing I would do differently next time is try the infinity pool swim-out casita, so we have better access to the bar from the lazy river.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple