“Would recommend this hotel and will stay again”

SBH Costa Calma Palace
Ranked #3 of 27 Hotels in Costa Calma
Reviewed 4 November 2017

My wife and myself stayed at this hotel for the first two weeks of October 2017. We really enjoyed our stay here and would come again if we have another October holiday in Fuerteventura. The only reason we’ve scored it 4 out of 5 is because of the WiFi. (See down below).

I’ll try and cover stuff not mentioned elsewhere.

You’d expect the temperature in early October to be in the mid to upper 20s, but there was a heat wave in the second week and temps went over 30 peaking at 36C. It wasn’t very windy and we had sun every day, no cloudy days or rain. Came back very brown! Sea temp was 22-24C and overnight temp around 22C.

Reception is on the 4th floor and rooms aren’t made available until 2pm.

One of the things you will be asked at check-in is which dinner sitting you’d like. When we were there sittings were at 6pm and 8pm. We’d recommend the 8pm. The 6pm is a bit rushed as they start clearing away at 7:15pm for the later sitting. Additionally it means you have to get showered and changed earlier. You can subsequently change the sitting, to do this approach the Maitre d’ at the entrance to the ground floor dining room in the evening, NOT the reception.

Towels are handed out at check-in. There’s a 20 euro deposit for a pair, and a charge of 4 euros per day for a pair, or 25 euros for a week. If you wish to change the towels there’s a 1 euro charge which is donated to charity.

There’s a 4 euro per day charge for the safe in the room.

There’s ample parking space if you hire a car.

There are 9 floors (zero/ground to 8). We had a sea view room on the 1st floor. All rooms are sea view, but if you’re on floors 4 or 5 the sea view is obstructed by floors zero to 3 which are in a separate block in front of 4 to 8 . Suites would appear to be on floor 8. We’d recommend floors 1 to 3. They are big into towel origami, you get a different one each day – see attached photos for a couple of examples.

There wasn’t a brochure in the room describing the hotel’s features, or any stationery. You’re given a single sheet on check-in which gives you all the info you need.

Our room didn’t have white bathrobes, but we did see people wandering around the pools wearing them, so not sure about that.

The TV has 2 English language channels: BBC World News and Sky News International. The Hotel home page on the TV has a scrolling bar at the top giving weather details for the day. Also there’s a 5 day weather forecast outside the dining room on the ground floor.

The hotel is facing east so you get some nice sunrises – see attached photo. (Sunrise was around 7:50am while we were there and plenty of people were taking an early morning swim in the dark in the pools at 7:30am!).

There is a large central atrium (see attached photo) the full height of the hotel, with the rooms off either side which amount to north and south wings. The ground floor rooms are in the north wing only. (See attached photo of the hotel taken from the sea’s edge).

There are two outside pools, one either side of the pool bar (see attached photo). It took us a day or two to discover that the northern one was considerably warmer that the other, presumably it’s heated in October. There are plenty of sun loungers around the pools, but they get booked up with towels pretty quickly. You’ll need pegs to keep the towels in place if windy. They can be bought in the hotel mini market.

The indoor pool in the spa is rather like a big long spa bath, you can swim in it but not much. The gym is well equipped with cross trainer, jogger, cycle, weights etc. No rowing machine.

The hotel is located half way along a long, wide, sandy beach (see attached photo). There are sun loungers etc. on the beach in front of the hotel, but they are not owned by the hotel. Charge is 13.50 euros for the day.

There is a mini market and boutique on the 3rd floor. Water is 1 euro for a 1.5 litre bottle which is cheap enough to save you a walk to the local supermarket.

If you come out the front door and turn immediately left and walk to the end through the gates you come to the nearest Spar supermarket which is in the shopping centre where the Esprit clothes shop is. Opposite the Spar there is a single place taxi rank, and across the road down in amongst the eateries is a hidden shop selling a large range of UK Newspapers and books, stationary and gifts etc.

Pharmacy: If you go to the end of the drive and turn right it’s a walk down there. We found there is a nearer small pharmacy in the back of the El Parmarel Shopping Centre which is signposted outside the hotel to the left of the phone mast.

The nearest bus stop is down the main road from El Parmarel outside the petrol station. We caught the bus to Jandia there, they seem to come through every 15 mins or so. You’ll know when to get off because there’ll be a mad rush for the door!

Is the hotel child friendly? There seemed to be a lot of children there and a kids’ paddling pool, and fenced off areas in the main pools. There aren’t any swings etc.

Is it wheelchair friendly? Yes, there were quite a few wheel chair users there but they’d have problems accessing the beach.

Smoking is allowed on the room balconies, and on the terraces. People seem to be smoking on the sun loungers, with ash trays provided. It was a bit annoying when their smoke drifted across us while sun bathing. There’s also smoking at the tables outside the pool bar where people eat and drink.

There’s a fair bit of wildlife in the hotel grounds, egrets and hoopoes, and a chipmunk in the rocks at the south end of the beach. (See attached photos).

WiFi is our only complaint. The Hotel’s WiFi can’t be picked up in the rooms. You need to be in the atrium on the 4th floor, and then I could only get a decent link if I stood at the reception desk. If I wandered away with my iPad I’d lose connection. You’re given a slip of paper saying you log into their WiFi via your email or Facebook account (yes, really!). In practise it only offered me Facebook login, so if you don’t have a Facebook account you’d be stuck.

Some people told me they could pick up the local coffee bar WiFis in their rooms, and even from one of the beach bars. If the local coffee bars can give access to WiFi in the hotel’s rooms I don’t see why the hotel can’t achieve it given modern technology!

There’s a mobile phone mast at the end of the drive to the hotel and I found it gave brilliant reception on my 4G smartphone, so I gave up with the hotel WiFi and used my mobile via my mobile account to access the web. I didn’t exceed my contract quota, so no problem there.

There are two PCs on the 4th floor which I was told were 5 euros per hour, but I didn’t use them.

Recommendations to management: -

Try and make WiFi available in the rooms. In 2017 customers expect that from a 4 star hotel.

Also give access to ‘SBH Free Wifi’ via password, rather than Facebook/eMail.

Do you really need two sittings for evening meal? There’s only one sitting for breakfast and surely there are more people at breakfast than evening meal as some people eat out in the evenings? We’re not all going to turn up at the same time in the evening so you shouldn’t be overwhelmed.

Ban smoking on the sun loungers?

Room Tip: Avoid floors 4 and 5, due to obstructed sea view.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank nitroSurrey
SBHDireccion, Director General at SBH Costa Calma Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2017

Dear NitroSurrey,

Thank you very much for have taken the time to write a detailed review about our SBH Costa Calma Palace.

We are very happy to read that you had a nice holiday here with us and have enjoyed your time here with us. Guest satisfaction is very important to us that’s why we try every day to exceed their expectations and make your holiday an unforgettable one.

We regret that you do not like the dinner sitting. To ensure an excellent service and a pleasant atmosphere we offer our guest two different dinner times. That way we ensure our guest can enjoy their dinner to fullest and won’t encounter big cues at the buffet.

We will inform you that our guests have the possibility to get a bathrobe at our reception.

We are sorry if you have not been informed in advance about any additional costs. However, we would like to explain to you that there are these additional costs, precisely because we try to take all special wishes into account. We want to give our guests the opportunity to book a base holiday and make their stay according to their own preferences. The Wifi is free for our guests in the lobby area of the hotel. We take note of your comment and we will contact with our provider to improve the quality.

Thank you for recommending the hotel and we hope to host you again very soon.

Reviewed 23 October 2017

On Arrival we were greeted by the reception staff who were very friendly and spoke very good English, check in was easy and quite quick. The room was lovely we were on the 6th floor and had a lovely view of the beach. All of the staff are very friendly and helpful cannot fault the service at all, will definitely be returning in a couple of years time.
Had a fantastic and relaxing time, EXCELLENT!!!!!

Room Tip: Anything above the 3rd floor
Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Jillihen,

It has been great for us to read that you had such a fantastic time in our SBH Costa Calma Palace and we want to thank you for using Tripadvisor to share your holiday experience with us and others travellers.

Our client’s satisfaction is our biggest aim and it is a big proud for us receive review as yours! It is a pleasure to know that you had a great time with us and that we have been able to meet all your expectations.

Thank your one more time for your comment and we really hope to welcome you back again in our hotel!

Reviewed 16 October 2017

Fantastic holiday! Rooms very lovely. WIFI could be better as available only in lobby and slow. Location on the beach was amazing. Food was very good. Great for relaxation and unwinding. German clientele orientation but everyone was very friendly. Pools were a bit cold and unheated. Swimming in the ocean was fun.

Stayed: March 2017

Dear Monipest,

We are very pleased to read that you had such a pleasant time in our SBH Costa Calma Palace and want to thank you for using Tripadvisor to share your experience with us and others travellers.

We are very pleased to know that you have been impressed with our facilities and staff. Guest satisfaction is very important to us that is why we try every day to exceed their expectations and make your holiday an unforgettable one.

A lot of our clients comment very positive about the quality and variety about the hotel. We are glad you liked it too. Our goal is to reach the expectations of our clients in all aspects. Our chefs prepare a vast amount of foods freshly on a daily basis.

We take note of your comment concerning the Wifi and we will contact to our provider to improve the quality.

It would be an absolute pleasure to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 13 October 2017

Not all of the sand is hard, but there's plenty of it and I can walk on the beach without stumbling (which makes a change). You will come off the sand through a gate and onto the pool area and snack bar, which is spacious and professional managed. Entering the hotel (at the back) there's the restaurant to your left, a large bar and entertainment venue to your right, and a bar for evening drinks straight ahead. The reception area and front entrance are upstairs on the forth floor. There are more soft, comfortable chairs and sofas than I've seen at any other hotel.

I didn't see any of the usual entertainment folk wandering around, trying to get people involved, and that was a relief. Basically, SBH gives you a bright, spacious hotel and leaves you to get on with it, whatever your particular on with it might be.

Half board works well for me. Buffet foot is never top-drawer, and it gets repetitive. However, breakfast and dinner at the Palace were Better than at most (if not all) four star hotels I've stayed at. You will be assigned to a table, first or second sitting, which will be yours for the duration of your holiday. Naturally, some tables are better located than others. I was happy with mine. Had I been unhappy, I'd have asked for an alternative, and I'm sure the the restaurant manager would have done his best to accommodate me. Some people have said the Germans get preferential treatment; this is paranoia and nonsense.

You will pay a bit extra for the best views, which are on levels three (pool-front, low building) and level seven (building behind it with rooms starting on level four (worst view). I have a great view on seven. On level three, the tops of palm trees get in the way of some views. The balconies have sun-beds, which are great, although sunbathing on your balcony will make you very sweaty very quickly.

I holidayed in Costa Calma eight years ago. Little has changed. There are a couple of new shopping areas, but both are run-down and tatty: disappointing. Cheer yourself up by getting the local bus to Morro Jable for a few Euro. Morro Jable is a small town, but it's a lot bigger than Costa Calma. If, like me, you want to watch English football while on holiday, there's a sports bar at the entrance to the Faro hotel.

Room Tip: Level seven, or three but away from the palm trees.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DavidCarrickfergus

Dear DavidCarrickfergus,

Thank you very much for your comment about our hotel SBH Costa Calma Palace. We are always very happy to receive confirmation our guests have enjoyed an excellent holiday and have left with wonderful memories.

We always have a wide range of nationalities in our hotel and we are really proud of it. We make every effort to deal with all our guests and can assure you that we treat everyone equally and do not prefer anyone.

Our hotel is located right at the lovely beach of Costa Calma which invites for long walks or relaxing on the beach. Also you can enjoy the wonderful view to the sea from many our rooms.

Our gastronomy is a high priority in our home and many clients comment it positively here on Tripadvisor. Our products are always fresh and varied prepared by our chefs.

It will be a big pleasure for us to welcoming you again in our hotel!

Reviewed 11 October 2017

Stayed here for 3 nights.

Check-In
------------
Check-in at this hotel is 2pm but we arrived a little early, about 12pm. Made ourselves known to the reception staff who gave us a voucher to get a drink from the lobby bar. So far, so good. It was 2 hours before we were told our room was ready. Was not offered any assistance to take our luggage to the room or indeed show us the way, which in the absence of any proper signposting was not that easy to find.

Room
--------
We booked a Junior Suite, on the ground floor.. The room itself was quite large, sparsely furnished, not particularly attractive. The bed consisted of two single beds pushed together. When I asked at reception whether this could be exchanged for a proper double bed I was told that the single beds would either be replaced or that we would be moved to another room with a double bed. Neither of these things happened. Instead, a couple of maintenance guys turned up with some cable ties and tied the legs of the single beds together. So still two single beds, two mattresses and made up by housekeeping as two single beds. I found this response quite pathetic. "Direct access to the beach" claims the website in bold. When I read that, I expected I would only have to take a few steps out of the sliding doors before I felt the sand beneath my feet. Oh no. If you leave your room, walk down the corridor, across the entire pool area, find the sole exit in the wall that spans the width of the property and walk another 50 yards, THEN you are on the beach. Ok, it's not far at all but I think "direct access" is stretching the truth somewhat. No rooms in this hotel have direct access to the beach. There is no room service at this hotel. Even the ubiquitous "tea/coffee making facilities" are absent. The minibar is just an empty fridge which you can either fill yourself or the hotel will fill at a charge. To be fair to the hotel they don't say any different on their website but I would definitely expect these facilities in a 4 star hotel. Good bathroom with powerful shower. Sound insulation is rubbish. When the room upstairs used their bathroom the noise from the plumbing was VERY loud - sounded like the room was about to be flooded.

Spa
-----
Pretty good. Nice small indoor pool with powerful massage jets and jacuzzi functions. Sauna and steam room were working well and very quiet.

Wi-fi
------
You have a choice between free wi-fi, which is very bad and as far as I can tell only available in the main lobby area of the hotel, or you can pay 7 euros a day for incredibly bad wi-fi in your room. We got a deal for 3 days wi-fi for 15 euros. It is so bad I was soon back at reception asking for a refund. The receptionist admitted the wi-fi is terrible and returned my 15 euros. If they know it's so bad, why do they bother selling it to you in the first place?

-------
Meals are your standard buffet affair. Absolutely nothing special about the food. We had breakfast in the hotel but ate out for lunch and dinner.

Clientele
------------
I would say 95% German - mostly middle-aged or elderly.

----------
This was generally quite good especially in the Piano bar. Reception staff were friendly and as helpful as they could be. Service in the poolside bars was not great, surly and quite inattentive. Also seemed understaffed all the time. Not all staff spoke English, which was not really a problem.

Check-Out
---------------
Left early so was very quick. Weren't even asked if we enjoyed our stay, which is probably a good thing.

Location
-----------
Superb. Hotel is on a wonderful quiet beache with crystal clear water. Lots of even nicer beaches further down the coast with a couple of excellent beach bars. There is a superb pizzeria in the small shopping centre in front of the hotel, which also stocks everything you could ever need. Drove down to Morro Jable one night for a meal - very nice town. Note that a lot of the beaches round there cater for naturists. Whether you think getting your kit off in public is natural or a semi-perverted exhibitionist fetish, it's worth noting.

Summary
-------------
Given the expense of this hotel and the fact it is listed as a four star property, the whole hotel experience was thoroughly disappointing. Fuerteventura is a wonderful place to visit but I would probably look elsewhere for a hotel.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michael L

Dear Michael L,

Thank you so much for having left your detailed review of your stay in our hotel SBH Costa Calma Palace. We are very sorry that you were not happy with all the aspects of the hotel.

Our hotel is located right at the lovely beach of Costa Calma which invites for long walks or relaxing on the beach. The location of our hotel is mentioned here on Tripadvisor very positively.

Our colleagues at the reception explain to each client due to the map where the room is located. Unfortunately it is impossible to show to each guest the whole hotel, as you can probably understand. Officially we have no baggage service, but if our guests need help to carry their bags to their room, we are happy to help. Almost in all hotels of the Canary Islands there are single beds in the rooms. Upon request we can tie the beds together.

We regret that we could not reach the expectations of our food. Every day we offer our guests a rich breakfast and dinner buffet with a great choice. Our gastronomy is a high priority in our home. Our products are always fresh and varied prepared by our chefs.

We are working to improve the quality of the Wifi in our hotel. At the moment our clients can use this service without supplement in the whole lobby and pool area.

It would be nice to have the opportunity to welcoming you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Costa Calma
0.9 km away
H10 Tindaya
H10 Tindaya
#1 of 27 in Costa Calma

Been to SBH Costa Calma Palace? Share your experiences!