Visited the hotel as a couple for New Year's and stayed 7 nights, returning on January 7th 2017. My overal impression was very positive, the hotel is very well maintained, the staff is friendly and the hotel director, Nicholas, is a real asset.
We stayed in one of the "bangalows" at the front of the property, number 316, which offers a nice sea view, please check the pictures. The apartment is very spacious, with an open plan kitchen and a full sized fridge freezer!
The kitchen could do with some improvements, such as adding an electric kettle and some table knives that actually can cut something - they are all "butter" knives and you need to use the big butcher ones to cut a steak on your plate lol. The hobs are electric and have a thermostat thing that keeps switching the hob on and off while you are cooking, so I had to call reception as I didn't know what was happening. Nicholas came to our apartment and helped us figure out what was going on. He also offered courtesy dinner at their restaurant in case we thought we could not cook our meals in the apartment.
The microwave oven was falty and Nicholas had it exchanged on the following day.
The bathroom is HUGE! and the shower is very good - good water pressure and hot enough.
The bedroom is very big as well, with a full length waredrobe, however, "double beds" are simply 2 single beds put together. Not a real issue for me, but may be a negative point for honeymooners.
The TV is a nice 40 inch Samsung flat tv which has loads of channels. For English channels it has Sky and BBC news plus some 3 or 4 other channels such as "Film4men" - which shows westerns and kung fu films. You can get films in English language from the Spanish channels- simply use the remote control > TOOLS > LANGUAGE > AUDIO and change the dubbed version into English.
The apartment is cleaned daily and it's spotless. Towels are changed every other day.
I haven't used the Hotel's wi-fi, but they offer it free of charge in communal areas and charge €15 for a week if you want to use it in the apartment.
The hotel has 2 restaurants, but I only used the buffet one for new year's eve dinner. Service was excellent, food was plentiful and tasty. I also had breakfast in there one morning and in my opinion, the buffet was excellent: many types of breads, decent sausages (not those hot-dog ones!), scrambled eggs, nice spreads for toasts, such as nutella, jams etc. Ham, cheese, cakes, fruit, potato croquette etc. It costs €9, but the hotel offers discounted breakfast packages for guests who stay a week, 10 days or 15 days. I think it is worth to consider this option, as the breakfast is very good.
It is very quiet in there, ideal if you want to relax. I didn't see any children around, maybe because the hotel is not a resort? There is no bar service at the pool, but you can get drinks at the hotel cocktail bar just next to the mini shop they keep in there.
This is a very small convenience shop for hotel guests. It has papers and magazines (mostly in German, but 2 UK papers, Daily Mirror and the Sun - mind you, they are nearly 4 quid!). Please, be aware of the ham being sold in a twin packet with cheese: it is terrible, we had to throw it away. They don't accept cards in there, so bring cash with you. It closes very early too, at 6pm.
Now for the area, Costa Calma is simply a Hotel area of Fuerteventura, there is no city, or downtown area where you could go for a stroll. There are some scattered shops here and there, but nothing special: the usual touristy bric-a-brac, bikinis, hats, sandals etc. I found the whole place very uninteresting and headed for Morro Jable and other cities instead.
There are city buses that run the whole island, but there is not a map signalling where the bus stops are located. The nearest bus stop to the hotel is a good 15, 20 minute walk. Bus drivers can understand a bit of English, as you get on the bus, you need to say where you want to go. A ride from Costa Calma to the airport takes about 1 hour and costs €7. Taxi to the hotel from the airport will cost you €75 so if you are not hiring a car, best thing to do is to catch the bus to the resort, then catch a taxi from the bus stop in Costa Calma to the hotel.
there are 2 spars in the area, a small one just 10 minutes away and a bigger one in the shopping centre.
The whole place catters for Germans, so expect a lot of German tourists, german food in some restaurants menu, shop signs in German even 2 German bakeries!
All in all, I would return to Esmeralda Maris, but next time I would definetely hire a car, as waiting for buses is very tiring.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ust 400m from the Costa Calma Beach, the Bungalows Club Esmeralda Maris welcomes you. The hotel is located next to the natural park Valle de Esmeralda in a quiet paradise place allowing spectacular views of the ocean and the famous white sandy beaches of Sotavento. We invite you to enjoy its completely renovated pool area for sunbathing and for absolute relaxation. Enjoy our Spa equipped with sauna, whirlpool and Turkish baths. Also, for exquisite massages inform the reception. Without any additional cost you can use our Gym and participate in Yoga classes taught by professional teachers. Also the direct access from the hotel to the area of the beaches allows trips and excursions to practice water sports such as diving, surfing, etc. Which will give you an intense approach with the natural elements of wind and water. Visit our restaurant Esmeralda Maris and taste a wide and delicious variety of food of international and local cuisine. Also, we offer breakfasts of typical products of the region, fresh and homemade. In the lobby / reception area there is free Wi-Fi available 24 hours. The hotel has: 24 units (double) of 1 separate bedroom and views to the gardens. 5 studios (double) sea view. 7 units (double) 2 separate bedrooms and sea views 46 units (double) with a separate bedroom and sea views. All room types are provided with the same equipment: Bathroom: Hair dryer, shower, bathtub, bathrobe (on request). Furniture: Desk, appliances for cooking, refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, safe. Multimedia: satellite TV, radio, electronic card opening and activation, air conditioning. WLAN in the rooms for a fee. Children and extra beds: Children under 2 years, do not pay. The bedrooms have space for a child's bed. Outside: Swimming pool (all year), gardens, terrace. Activities: Wind / Kite-Surfing, Scuba Diving, Gym, Hiking, Spa & Wellness, Massage ... Food and drinks: restaurant and bar. Parking: Available on public streets around the hotel (at no cost). Other services: automatic dispensers, car rental, excursion bookings, 24h reception, laundry, fax and print, medical assistance (on request), lifts, mini market, night surveillance, smoking area. Languages: Spanish, German, English, Italian, Dutch. Opening Hours: Check-in time: 14:00. Departures, until 12:00. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Esmeralda Maris reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Esmeralda Maris Hotel Costa Calma
- Esmeralda Maris Costa Calma, Fuerteventura