“Great Chinese food”
Review of Sayam

Sayam
Ranked #22 of 39 Restaurants in Gouvia
Price range: US$3 - US$60
Description: Sayam Corfu , Thai and Chinese Restaurant Asian Thailand Food , best choice for light food. The first and unique Tai Restaurant in Corfu , Ionian Islands , Greece Open All Year !
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Very friendly and polite. The service was excellent and never felt that we were being rushed. The food was excellent, plentifull and inexpensive.

Reviewed 13 September 2017

It was the second time we'd been to this restaurant. We discovered it was there by chance when out for dinner at another restaurant in the resort of Gouvia. It's taken over the space occupied by the former long-standing Chinese restaurant.

The decor is neutral in style and colour and very understated. There is simple but attractive tableware. These two elements provide an excellent contrast to the colourful, at times rather dramatic cuisine, which is a combination of both Thai and Chinese dishes but I'd say with an emphasis on Thai, and with a Thai feel and atmosphere.

The staff are really nice and manage to be attentive without being obtrusive and service is fairly fast and efficient.

The first time we went, in the height and heat of summer, they had only been open for two or three days and the business was still in the process of taking shape. We were the only ones there for most of the meal. The second time, it felt more finished and they certainly seemed to have attracted a lot of custom.

The food is delicious. The first time I had the Thai green curry and my husband the red. They were served in little bowls and were more like soup in consistency than Indian curries and, with them we had jasmine rice. With that, we had a spicy shredded carrot salad, with sliced green beans and peanuts, which had quite a chilli kick to it but was yummy.

On this occasion, we went with a friend and ordered the same salad but tried different main dishes. Our friend, wishing to have something light, chose a seafood salad, my husband chose a green curry with chicken and aubergine in coconut milk and basil. My choice was chicken with black pepper. The two of us also had jasmine rice.

I quite like hot and spicy dishes and was asked if medium hot was ok, and I said yes. My husband and our friend asked for theirs to be lightly spiced. However, when they came, the seafood salad turned out to be terribly hot, as did my husband's curry. Mine was not as hot as I expected but the carrot salad was almost too hot to eat. So - and I'm saying this with a big smile on my face - be careful not to take the words "slightly spicy" at face value. and bear in mind that "to die for" may feel more like "to die from"!

The overall impression, however, is positive and, heat aside, the combinations of colours, tastes and textures really heavenly so, this time, we simply put the "dragon's breath" effect down to experience, which we plan to learn from next time. The only other downside, I would say, is that the portions are rather small for what you pay.

Sent from my iPad

Reviewed 12 September 2017 via mobile

Really enjoyed our meal, the food was really nice and we have travelled Thailand so know the standards. The waiter was very polite and friendly and got us more sauces etc when we asked. Great restaurant, shame it's a little out the Main Street. I'm guessing many don't leave reviews as it's a new restaurant but it was very busy!

Reviewed 12 September 2017 via mobile

First time visiting and the food was amazing! Prices are reasonable and worth the money - left feeling full and satisfied. Thank you!

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

This restaurant has very recently opened here in Gouvia, but the wait was worth it!
It's modern, clean and spacious both inside and outside, and reasonably priced.
We have visited three times and never been disappointed, the choice is incredible, prices are good, food standard is great.
We had not eaten from the set menu, but chosen individual items, all exactly as described.
The portion sizes are sufficient, three main courses and a rice for 4 people is generally enough.
The deep fried ice cream is a must, the banana fritters came on the house!!
Overall 5 *****