Lock in the lowest price from these sites
THE-RainBoy
Mumbai, India
3rd time in 3 years!... My FULL review -
5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 17 Jul 2012
Well, this was our 3rd stay at the First World in as many years, and it continues to be a great 3-star hotel, if I may refer to it so..

The reason for giving it 5 stars is not because it's a 5-star hotel, but because its a 5 star rated 3-star hotel! 6000 rooms on top of a cliff amidst the clouds and natural dense rain forests is amazing enough to get to Genting Highlands!

When - we stayed for 2 nights in April 2012.

Booking - we booked directly on the official website of www.rwgenting.com and got the best deal of MYR 140 per night without breakfast for the deluxe room. If you are looking for something better, then you can try the Club rooms, otherwise the Deluxe was fine, and frankly there isn't too much difference even between the deluxe and superior deluxe rooms, so save the MYR!

Arrival - we took the www.aerobus.my from LCCT airport to First world, and then back from First world to lcct. A return trip cost us MYR 63 and we booked online about 3 weeks in advance. The aerobus was pretty much on time. I would however recommend a 1-way cable car ride, which is excellent!

Rooms - fine, does the job, in room safe and tea/ coffee faclities are given. There's no need of an air-con in Genting, such is the cool wonderful climate. Bathroom was small but fine, carry your own extra soap if needed, beds are okay and clean. TV yes with limited channels.

Food and water - there are many hot and cold water dispenser outside in the hallways. We used hot water from this, boiled it further in the in-room heating flasks, and made coffee and tea from this.

TIP - bottled water is very very expensive in Genting, so pick up two or three 2-litre mineral water bottles from the store at the airports or KL city.

Check-in - this can vary really depending upon time of arrival. Once we checked-in in under 10 minutes, this time due to the rush it did take us about 30-40 minutes.

Check-out - is the quickest anywhere in the world in any hotel!!! You just give your key card to the ladies standing at the check-out kiosks. As simple as that!

If you have big sized luggage you cant carry it onto the cable cars. you can book this 2-way either at the skyway station at the base, or upon your check out just outside the lobby of the First world hotel, but do this before 11 am.

The first world hotel is located where all the action is. The Theme park hotel which is the other choice is too far out, smaller and there's nothing next to it. Don't expect the Marriott at the First world because it does not potray itself to be one, and you will be fine.

It's a fine and comfortable family stay. Just ask for rooms at the mid-level, between floors 9-20. Above 20 and the lifts take ages!!

Highly recommended for the budget traveller, and even families and couples.

Enjoy!
0.4 km from First World Hotel
Restaurant
View more hotels in Genting Highlands
3,482 results
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 14 July 2012

You have to give it to the creators of the First World Hotel for having 6118 rooms and making it to Ripley's and Guinness World Records for having the most rooms in a Hotel. If you go there, expect no room service and the atmosphere is like a bus station/train station. Go there not for the stay but to roam around in Genting and the theme park right at the foot of the Hotel. The rooms were booked for us by some agent and we had two single cots put together. The rooms were too tiny that there was hardly any space left to move around and the bathroom did not have separate dispensers/tubes for shampoos, conditioner, hand soap. Instead at both the wash basin and also within the shower area, there was just one wall attached dispenser that read "Shampoo+Conditioner+Soap". I dreaded using that on my hair. Expect not much in terms of room service. For refilling water there are bays outside in the corridor that dispense Hot and Cold Water. Use the bottles provided in the room to fill them. There was no bath tub in our room. We had breakfast at the First World Cafe, there is an awesome plethora of choices like in our breakfast buffet, there were special counters for Jain food (vegetarian food) that was segregated by side from the non-vegetarian food. Eggs are made on the fly. It is like a 1000 seater room. The lobby is like a train station with token numbers and a waiting area for everything. Check-out is fast and you just place your card into a Swipe Machine, no waiting in queues for the same.

Besides all the limitations, the Hotel is one you must definitely see as it is beautiful like made of Lego blocks with a melange of colors from blue, red, yellow and green in all shades.

Date of stay: June 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank DJZ2006
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Hotel is situated within the Theme park which is buzzing with action and is a happening place with loads of activities indoor and outdoors ( including anti gravity experience and amazing superman type roller coaster :)

Spread of food is amazing with choice from Indian to local cuisines.

The damper however is the acco as the rooms and tiny & expensive. Especially if you have kid to be accommodated in your room it gets cramped ( a la Mumbai type matchbox rooms)

Overall experience worth it if you can bear with minor hitch of the room :)

Date of stay: August 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Svmhr1
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Pros:
• Cheap, but better pay a premium for a decent hotel

Cons:
• It took us 1.5hrs to check-in
• Reception area looks like an airport with loads of people sitting on the floor, waiting for their turn
• You have to get a ticket number and wait for hundreds of people to check in
• Rooms are really disgusting and smelly, we slept with clothes on
• This hotel has no service whatsoever, once you check in fight for your own survival
• Don’t try calling reception or operator from your room, no one will ever answer
• Breakfast is in a room with thousands of tables, plates and cutlery are from world war, the food makes you sick just from looking at

Date of stay: August 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
8  Thank Ridvile
Reviewed 10 July 2012

I have not been visiting Genting for the past 20 years. On 30th June, I decided to visit there with a group of friends. Which reached, I was shocked to see that the reception check in counters were so packed ! It was really like a train station or maybe a hospital with all the digital numbers indicators on the wall ! It took 4 hours to check in, I was given a room at Tower 2 on the 23rd floor. Upon checking in, first thing I went to the bathroom to check, oh my god ! I noticed the toilet bowl has faeces stained, Shower gel not replenished, hair dryer not working. Deluxe room is as good as standard room, my god ! the antique small TV without remote cotrol ! It was so pathetic small ! Found potato chips on carpet, fridge not cleared by housekeeper - left behind half bottle of mineral water by previous visitor, the safe is not working. The next adjoining room was noisy, the kids kept banging on the door. Morning, can hear the kids playing outside the walkway. Bed was not comfortable, my neck was so tired the next morning. Did not sleep well at all... The Worst was the Casino full of china hookers, occupied seats (chit chatting with other hookers) at the slot machine under the eyes of hotel security. Even my male colleagues were approached by hookers offering massage service and "special service". Is there any ban for these hookers to enter the casino ? I am not expecting a first class service but at least the basic hygiene in the room and security must be there ! Totally disappointed with the 2 nights stay ! I will rather pay abit more to stay at Resort World ! Only good thing is, the check out is fast ! Just drop in the box !

Date of stay: June 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
8  Thank ShirleyKong
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Just finished a 3 days 2 nights stay on 8 July, 2012 and I could not be more glad to go home.

First, the check in process is totally impersonal. You are told to go to a machine and there is no opportunity to voice your preference for floor, view, etc. It's being allocated by the machine.

When I get to my room in Tower 2, it was a shockingly small room, considering that I got a deluxe room rather than a standard room. Well that's fine, I thought I wouldn't be spending much time in the room anyway. But that pathetic TV, gosh I've not seen this small tv for the last 10 years (And how much does a TV cost these days???). What's worst is that there is a constant drop in transmission every 5 mins for 5 sec. A painful experience to watch tv.

The bath room is not only just small (I've accepted this fact by now) the design of the bath room was so bad that the shower area had no decent partition from the rest of the bath room. Whenever you take a shower, the water spilled to the entire bath room floor area making it wet and slightly flooded. Also, the shower area do not have any holder for you to put your personal toiletries so you have no choice but to put it on the floor. What a terrible design!!!

The bed quality is quite bad as my family all experience neck and back ache after one night stay and gotten worse after 2 nights. There is also this occasional noise that came from the water/sewage piping that sounded like machine guns. I guess it may happen when other rooms are using the bath room and that trigger the noise. Each time that happens, it lasted for between 5 -15 secs and it's loud enought to wake you up from your sleep.

I've been to all levels of hotel in many different countries, from budget hotels to 5 star hotels. What I did not expect is the level of ignorance to some basic details of running a hotel. If this is classify as a budget hotel, I can probably accept that. This is a third world hotel experience in my opinion.

Date of stay: July 2012