“Our time at the Granary was better than we could...”
Check Availability

Reviews from our community

Any
petey321
Biddulph, United Kingdom
“We were so disappointed.”
Reviewed 30 May 2012 for a stay in July 2010
people found this review helpful

Thank goodness, for the sake of other unsuspecting guests, the description of this property has been amended and it now says it is adjacent to another holiday let.. At the time my partner and I booked the Granary ( I can not accurately say the exact date ) there was absolutely no mention of another holiday let anywhere near it., especially not such a huge one. The only thing mentioned was that it was close to the owner's property, which did not concern us. We were so desperate to find a stand alone, peaceful retreat that we scrutinised the literature over and over again before booking. It was of the utmost importance to us and we certainly would not have overlooked such a vital detail. We did not miss the mention of another holiday let because it was not there, written in the description! Neither was there any mention of the meadow being shared either, which would have obviously alerted us to other holiday makers in the close vacinity. Even now the details have been updated, it might be an idea, just to totally clarify how close these properties actually are, to add an extra photo to the gallery. This could be taken from the front of the little Granary, illustrating how severely limited any privacy is, especially as the doors and windows are directly opposite from each other. I feel only then can future guests make a truly informed decision before booking.

Now on to the condition of the Granary itself. Lovely as it could have been, it was dirty in several areas. The beam in the bedroom actually looked furry there was so much thick dust standing up on it. You couldn't miss it so goodness knows why it hadn't been cleaned. Cobwebs hung like lacy garlands from the wall at the top of the stairs, dust on the heated towel rail was so visible you could have written your name in it and there was grime around the base of the taps. The shower area wasn't too bad but there were still several pubic hairs in the base which obviously were not pleasant to contend with. Some of the plates and dishes still had crumbs sticking to them and a lot of the cutlery was dirty. The cutlery tray looked like it hadn't been washed for a while too. It was disgusting. My partner was so upset she was in tears and neither of us felt relaxed until we had cleaned the necessary areas ourselves. Everything (we didn't attempt the dust on the beam or stairwell) cleaned off with ease so this only served to indicate that the cleaning regime was obviously lazily carried out with no attention to detail.

Yes, we could have mentioned the lack of cleanliness to the owners. The main reason we didn't was because they were really lovely, having driven out to meet us when we couldn't find our way there through all the country lanes. Not a brilliant reason I know but, as we were just beginning our holiday, we didn't want our week to start with a confrontation and, possibly, subsequent awkwardness. Above all though, the need shouldn't have arisen in the first place - the grime was self-evident and everywhere should have been spotless. There is no excuse. Guests should not be put in a position where they have to point this out, possibly resulting in a bad atmosphere. It is a basic right for a paying guest to be provided with a clean place to stay. It doesn't have to be the height of luxury, just clean.

We filled in, in great detail, the feedback form provided by Syke's when we returned from our holiday and even sent it via recorded delivery so they were certain to receive it. Not a word did we hear back from them. Absolutely nothing. Great customer service! Maybe they're only interested in positive feedback. Although, it's strange because I notice there is a response from them with regard to another negative review on Tripadvisor.They appeared to respond very quickly to it too. Amazing that! Maybe, as the negative comments are being expressed within the public domain, rather than privately, they have to look as though they're listening. Whatever the reason, we will not be booking through Syke's again, or recommending them to anyone either.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The surrounding countryside.
Liked least: The lack of cleanliness and lack of response from Sykes.
Woolavington, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2012 for a stay in April 2012

Liked best: The view
Liked least: Lack of privacy and cleanliness
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Relaxed33
Biddulph, United Kingdom
“Very misleading.”
Reviewed 16 March 2012 for a stay in July 2010
people found this review helpful

I stayed at the Granary with my partner a couple of years ago and, although I didn't think to review it immediately, have since thought I ought to warn anybody who is looking for somewhere quite secluded, away from other holiday lets. That is what we presumed we were getting, judging by the cleverly taken photos. Yes, on one of them, you can see what looks like the side of a farmhouse but, beyond that, it looks as if the Granary is set on a quiet country lane with just the one neighbour.
When we arrived there were two families with young children already ensconced in the huge holiday barn directly opposite the little Granary let, just metres away. There was no privacy as both front doors opened across from each other and the windows too were opposite. Now, don't get me wrong, I really like children, indeed I work with thirty of them, but when you have googled, 'quiet, secluded, stand alone self catering' you do not expect families in such close proximity. In the details it also mentioned a meadow with picnic bench which indeed there was but it said absolutely nothing about it being a shared area so whenever we thought we'd have a pleasant evening drink out in the fresh air, admiring the glorious scenery, we had to contend with rowdy games of cricket or football. The families were perfectly lovely but it was nothing like the photos or information suggested.
The accomodation itself was bright and adequate but I ended up cleaning some of the things before I felt we could use them and phoned my daughter the first evening in tears explaining that I had had to wash the cutlery and some of the crockery as it was stained. The stairwell walls and the beams in the bedroom were covered in cobwebs which would have been easy enough to clean off with a long handled brush. The towel radiator in the bathroom was absolutely covered in dust, so much so that I could have written a message in it. The wash basin had grime around the plughole and I cleaned this off easily with a cloth and cleaning spray so obviously no effort had gone into cleaning it previously. The shower tray still had several pubic hairs in it too. The other thing that let the place down was the dated bedroom furniture and the mirror was so tarnished you had to move your head around to get a full view of your reflection.
The Granary is in a beautiful setting scenery wise but I think it should be advertised fairly so no more unsuspecting guests are faced with a large amount of neighbours when they had been after some peace and solitude. The owners are obviously making a tidy profit from the huge barn conversion alone so surely they could afford to update some of the furniture in the Granary and definitely fork out for a competent cleaner. After all, cleanliness is a basic right when paying to stay in a holiday let. I did fill in the questionairre stating all the above to Sykes Holiday Cottages but had absolutely no feedback from them. That clearly shows how highly they care about their customer satisfaction and, needless to say, we won't be using their 'services' again.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The views from the meadow.
Liked least: The close proximity of the huge holiday barn.
Management Response
16 Mar 2012
Thank you for your review and we are sorry if you felt that the advertisement for this property was misleading. This is a delightfully restored property in a beautiful location and has been very well received by our customers. The description of the property states that it is adjacent to the owners’ other property of Farm House Barn Ref. 3782 and that together they can accommodate 12 people. We note that unfortunately you did not address any concerns regarding the cleanliness of the property with the owner during your stay and we would have been pleased to discuss these specific areas of concern had you contacted ourselves or the owner directly at the time.
Missouri USA
Reviewed 16 September 2011 for a stay in July 2011

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check-in / front desk Service
Travelling group: Spouse / significant other
Your age range 55-64
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
Yelverton
Reviewed 9 February 2011 for a stay in November 2010

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check-in / front desk Service
Travelling group: Spouse / significant other
Your age range 45-54
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
US$50
Night
Week
Make Enquiry
Never pay for your holiday rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing