“Another Fantastic Evening”

Ranked #28 of 107 Restaurants in Retford
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 2 April 2018

As you can tell by the title this is not the first time we have visited The Whitehouses, and this won’t be the last as once again we were not disappointed.
I appreciate that the gentleman ‘front of house’ might not be everyone’s ‘cup of tea’, but he is extremely efficient and damn good at his role.
If you’ve come here to nurse a half of lager and a bag of crisps then this is not the place for you, however if you appreciate fine dining in a nice atmosphere cooked by and served by people who care then this is the place for you.
I enquiried about a certain item on the menu and the chef ‘James’ wa more t(an willing to come through and explain what I needed to know
I had pork and rabbit rillette which was ‘to die for’, and my wife had a small portion of ribs.......we were well impressed.
For mains I had beef stroganoff which was awesome and every mouthful was delicious, and my wife had the spring rack of lamb......we were knocked out !!!!
Too full to caress a cheeky dessert, but with drinks, another really nice experience and one to be recommended..........

2  Thank Madsue67

Reviewed 24 March 2018

Our 3rd visit with friends and once again we all enjoyed our meal and the atmosphere. Good selection on the 'specials' board to complement the menu and we've never found the landlord and his staff to be anything but friendly and willing to please. We'll be back.

Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

Not our first visit and won't be our last. The food is great. The landlord is miserable and rude as many other reviews will tell you. Real shame. I resent the fact the food is so good as I'd love to not come here again! Strange review I admit but true. Keep the chef and sack the owner!

3  Thank DaveWDentist
Reviewed 28 February 2018 via mobile

This place has really nice food, good variety of various. The chef is clearly very good and the staff are extremely amiable and polite. The place is however let down by a miserable landlord, I popped in for a drink after dining previously and he was really rather rude. It's a real shame because he has made a very very nice pub with fab food.

Date of visit: February 2018
1  Thank Rich H
Reviewed 28 February 2018 via mobile

Rachel & Jonathan we’re excellent hosts!

I arrived on a very snowy Wednesday with the A1 closed. Entirely unexpectedly. Dressed like a homeless man!

I ordered my food which arrived within good time. Jonathan was tentative and hosted very well.

The food was excellent! The steak was precisely as I asked for, utterly beautiful.

Then Rachel (landlady) offers me the dessert menu! I used to be a fatty so I just said ‘yes great idea’.

The desert was truly epic! For just a little pub on the side of the road. TvOS well exceeded my expectations.

I live between houses in West Bridgford, Stamford and Belgravia so I tend to regularly find myself (and the wife) eating out spending in excess of £2000 per month. This is one of the best experiences I have had. And let’s face it folks, it is about the experience as well as the food...

Highly recommended!

I’ve even included a picture of a homeless looking guy! meeeee

Date of visit: February 2018