“wonderful historic town with lots to see”
Review of Corfu Old Town

Ranked #2 of 76 things to do in Corfu Town
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 11 April 2018

According to archaeological evidence the island has been inhabited since the Stone Age. From 300 BC Corfu was attacked and conquered successively by Spartans, Illyrians , and then the Romans. About 1,000 years later, in the 6th century AD the island was part of the Byzantine Empire based in Constantinople. With the fall of the Byzantine Empire in the 13th century, Corfu changed hands a few times ending up under the control of the Venetians in the 14 century.

To fend off Turkish invaders in the 15th century the Venetians constructed Corfu’s landmark “Old Fortress” on top of the remains of an 8th century Byzantine castle. We began our self-guided walking tour with a cab ride to the second largest square in Europe, the Esplanade (Spianada), with its great view of the old fortress.

At the north end of the Esplanade is the former Royal Palace, a Neoclassical mansion built in 1816 for the British High Commissioner. The building is also known as the Palace of Saints Michael & George. Abandoned in 1864 when the British left the island it now houses the Museum of Asian Art. We took a peek inside but didn’t want to spend that much time.

Plunging into the narrow streets full of shops and restaurants we headed for the Church of St. Spyridon where I sang the Buxtehude Ava’ Maria. The Greeks didn’t seem very impressed with my Latin version of Hail Mary. The 2nd century miracle working saint’s bones are housed in a silver casket adorned with precious stones and paraded around town on festival days. We walked a good distance to find the Archeological Museum at one point outrunning a couple classes of schoolchildren but much to our disappointment the museum was closed that Tuesday in late November.

We had a great lunch at Sophia on Kapodistrou. A ½ caraf of red wine, 1 coke zero, and we shared an excellent Greek salad. Judith got a chicken souvlaki meal and I got a gyro plate. Both platters were huge. Mine had 6 pita wedges, onions, French fries, a great mound of melt-in-your-mouth delicious shaved lamb, and a superb tzatziki sauce.. Hers was three big chicken skewers perfectly grilled and spiced, with fries and salad garnishes. Both were very tasty and presented by the most personable owner who went out of his way to feed us more than we deserved. Total with tip was 32 EUO. Best lunch off the ship in eight different ports of call.

Since our legs had about given out we jumped on a hop on-hop off big red bus. For 16 EUR rode the last run-of-the-day full 14 stop red and blue line tour.

1  Thank mrtravelingpat
Write a ReviewReviews (2,137)
All reviews
in 343 reviews
"maze"
in 34 reviews

Reviewed 9 April 2018 via mobile

The old town is a must to do in Corfu!
Don t forget to take the arseniou street vy the sea to see the best buildings of the town and a stroll to Liston!

Reviewed 9 April 2018 via mobile

Corfu is truly amazing. the old town is so beautiful and iconic. have visited 4 times so far, always enjoy the long walks through the narrow streets

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Interesting to see the Italian influence in Corfu. Pretty Venetian belfry.

Main pedestrian areas are lined with cafes or shops. Take photos of the second storey shutters (old and renovated)

Wind through alleys and check out small churches. Cafes in side alleys have better value for the food, and are visited by locals. There are few squares in the old town.

Lastly visit the old town off season to enjoy the character

See more reviews
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Last September my husband and I were on a Silverseas cruise on the Adriatic. One of our stops was in Corfu Greece, an absolutely beautiful island. As we were walking through the old town, we stopped to browse in a jewelry store - Tina Vlachou. The owners were very gracious and hospitable. I decided on a necklace that cost 400 euros. When Tina wrote up my bill, she added 96 euros ($107) for the European Union tax (VAT) and provided me with a tax receipt to be stamped by the EU customs department of the airport from which we would depart Europe. She told me that that it takes 2 to 4 weeks until the VAT refund would be credited to my credit card. November was almost over when I sent an email to the store reminding them that I was expecting my refund. A couple of more weeks went by and nothing. Finally, in December I received an email from them stating that I would absolutely receive my refund within a few days. I waited another 4 weeks and I then contacted American Express to dispute this store’s charge which I had paid on my October statement. As is the process with American Express, they issued a temporary credit to my card, pending their investigation into the matter. I’ll spare you the details, but the store refused to allow Americans Express to credit my account in the amount of the VAT charge. This despite the written evidence of their acknowledgement of the refund due and in contravention of EU law. The bottom line is that this merchant decided to keep the VAT to enhance their profits. The amount in dispute is not a large one but the idea of the theft of a customer’s VAT refund by a merchant and the blatant dishonesty of it all, has inspired me to report them not only to American Express (may cancel their merchant account) but also to the EU taxing authorities and the local tourist office. AVOID DOING BUSINESS with them!!!!

1  Thank AIDA G