“PADI certification, Dominican style”
Review of ScubaCaribe

ScubaCaribe
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Scubacaribe specializes in providing a complete range of water sports and activities for hotels and resorts. The company was formed in 1991 when it began operating and providing services for the Riu Hotels in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. Since then we've grown continuously, providing service to the most prestigious hotels in the largest Caribbean vacation destinations. Our fast growth is bas
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Spring Break trip to Dreams La Romana. My two youngest daughters (13 & 11) did the discovery dive in the pool with Fernando. After discussion, 4 of us decided to do PADI certification while there. Fernando connected us with Berlin, the greatest dive instructor, ever! He was patient and understanding with my girls and took his time with everyone at each step. My youngest ended up bailing once we started emergency underwater drills. He was great and let her dictate what she wanted to do. While diving open water, he was a great guide and teacher. He made us feel safe and confident in our training. We did a total of 6 open water dives while there. We dove The Wall and The Aquarium at Catalina island on our last day with a different guide, Magda. She was wonderful, as well. She didn’t realize we had only gotten certified on this trip and wanted to know who our instructor was. Upon return, Berlin was like a proud parent after hearing the news. Can’t speak highly enough about the staff at ScubaCaribe. Strongly recommend them.

1  Thank sdrooger5190
"st george"
"open water"
"professional staff"

Reviewed 24 March 2018

These folks are awesome! Big shout out to Fernando, who does the free pool dives and got us hooked. Do your free trial and sign up with him!

We started with the discover scuba, and did an hour classroom session, then about an hour in the pool. Then we had a few hours to relax and have lunch, then come back for a dive. We went out with Sol, who was awesome and super patient! We had a blast! This dive was to a reef called Playata filled with beautiful small fish.

I loved it so much I ended up doing my scuba certification, and another dive at the Atlantic Princess wreck which was unbelievable. Both dives were less than a 5 minute ride from the beach which was great!

Ricardo was our instructor the first morning and he is amazing, and he was also my instructor for my certification and for my second dive. I cannot say enough good things about him.

Their staff is very professional, and you it is plainly obvious that they love their jobs and want to make sure you have the best time. It is very nice that they allow you to use what you have already paid to upgrade as well. I was able to just pay the difference from my discover scuba to my scuba diver class. I really cannot speak highly enough about these guys.

Reviewed 22 March 2018

We have been on many snorkelling trips in lots of different locations around the world and are qualified sub aqua divers and therefore used to being in boats and on the sea. However, our experience on 12 March with this company was the worst ever. The initial crossing to an area where we were told the snorkelling would be “easy”, just off Catalina Island, was incredibly bumpy. One lady from Canada was extremely sea sick and my husband was struggling to contain the urge to be sick. The place where we were to snorkel was not in calm waters as the guide, Brian, had shared whilst we were travelling to the location but extremely lumpy. It was NOT a pleasurable experience to try and snorkel in that water but slightly better than sitting waiting on the boat!
It was such a blessing to get off the boat on Catalina Island and enjoy the beauty of the beach. However the boat trip back was worse than the trip there as by this time the wind and the swell had increased considerably. As my husband was concerned that he may be sick on the boat journey back to Bayahibe Bay we both decided to sit together at the back of the boat. One of the crew, Brian, did ask us at the beginning of our journey did if we minded getting a bit wet!! SUCH an understatement!!! Once the waves started coming over the boat and soaking us I signalled to be moved, we were told not to move about on the boat, Brian did eventually assist in moving me. However, as my husband was feeling so ill he stayed hoping the conditions would improve. They did not. We estimate that the wind speed was about 16/17 knots and the swell average 2 to 3 metres with some higher. Some people on the boat became so 'terrified' that they started to put on life jackets which we had all been asked to use for the snorkel part of the trip. The sea conditions were bad, however, if the driver had slowed down rather than racing with their other boat back to Bayahibe Bay it would have not been such a frightening and unpleasant journey. One lady injured 3 of her fingers as she fell onto the floor whist the boat was travelling back, one other lady had bruises on her arm from being thrown around even though she was holding on tight.
The next day at the resort Dreams La Romana we met two of the Canadian ladies and one gentleman from the UK who had been an engineer on the Queen Mary. The Canadian ladies were horrified and terrified during the trip back and very upset with the company as they had specifically asked prior to booking the trip what the journey would be like, as one of them suffered from serious motion sickness. They had been assured that it would be fine. The engineer who had worked on the Queen Mary said that he had NEVER seen anything like the way the boat had been driven in all his time at sea.
We have hesitated as to if we should write this review with one other we read being so good, however, we felt that we wanted to share our experience with you and then it is up to you to make up your own minds as to whether you take a trip with these guys or not.
As this company has representatives selling these excursions on the Dreams La Romana Resort site we did not look them up first. Our mistake.
We were so thankful that no one was thrown overboard or suffered severe injuries during this trip.
We are so SURPRISED to see that someone had a good experience with this crew in Bayahibe.

Reviewed 22 March 2018

ScubaCaribe on Bayahibe Beach is located immediately adjacent to the Dreams LaRomana Resort and Spa, and appears to have some sort of affiliation with it - in theory providing the nonmotorized water sports (kayak, SUP, Hobie cat windjammer, paddle boats) that are a part of the stay at Dreams.
I realize they cannot control the weather or tides, but ... First day we were told winds too strong for anything other than kayak - enjoyed the kayaking. Staff with mostly blank stares or looking past you with any inquiries (based on their experience and knowledge of the area / forecast - could they recommend a preferred time of day, or any day in the next several that looked most promising? Just shoulder shrug and told to come back and try again another time)
So we went back -a few times - every day - am, noontime, afternoon. Winds too high. Winds not high enough. Current too strong for SUP (but OK to kayak). Not open yet (at 8 am, when concierge AND front desk at hotel told us they open at 8 ... got there at 8, and staff is there, but told us not open till 9, try back in the afternoon, could not help us ...)
There was certainly no great interest to provide us with service, most unfortunate.
I'm guessing if we had been purchasing one of their excursions the service might have been a little more attentive? Or maybe not ...