Poseidon Apartments(Skala)(Great Value!)
Makis Studios(Skala)(Great Value!)
US$93
Bookgreece.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsfire showhalf boarda superior sea view roomlobby bargolf buggyanimation teama la carte restaurantshared poolall inclusive guestspool restaurantall inclusive packagecourtesy busmain poolmain restaurantinfinity poolinclusive menuevening entertainment
Reviewed 30 September 2017

We stayed for a week (21-28 Sept). First impressions were poor and didn't really improve.
The coach drive took forever, Apostalata is last drop off, over an hour and a half, I fell asleep halfway.
The receptionist wasn't very friendly and less friendly when I went back to reception two hours later to say there were ants in the bathroom. She said she'd send a maid, no one came. Next morning after killing ants crawling over my expensive toiletries I went to reception again, again told a maid would sort it. We went to the pool and checked every couple of hours on room, eventually room cleaned after one o clock but ants were back later, one even in my bath while having a bath. I spoke to Chad (really friendly, helpful animator) who spoke to manager and we were moved to another room in main hotel.

Overall we found the staff quite rude despite our always being polite. The pool barmaid deserves a special mention for rudeness, turning her back when I'm speaking to her, pretending not to understand often, giving me coke when I've never ordered one ever, although I did see her being friendly with some guests who I suspect tipped her. The same went for the restaurant staff with odd exceptions, one waitress even looked close to tears at times, maybe they work too many hours.

The spa looked the part but when you use it you find maintenance needed. The Jacuzzi wasn't very warm and only a couple of the water jets worked, the steam room stunk of drains and the staff put scented oil in and apologized for smell and advised me to wait ten minutes before going in. The gym is basic and the cross trainer machine is broken, my favourite equipment usually.
Needless to say we wouldn't return and to anyone planning to go or who have already booked expect about 3 star so as not to be disappointed like we were.

Room Tip: Pay extra for superior room to avoid ants
1  Thank Helen S
Reviewed 29 September 2017

We were at the Apostolata resort for a week all inclusive. Contrary to other reports the food wasn't at all bad, we had one night in the a la carte restaurant and really enjoyed it, overheard another couple talking about it and couldn't believe we'd been to the same place, they didn't rate it at all.

The staff are great, especially the bar manager in the reception bar, she serves three people at the same time, awesome. The lady who serves at the pool bar deserves a medal for her patience, some people were very rude to her.

The spa was lovely, really enjoyed my massage and relaxing in the Jacuzzi with my husband, very reasonably priced.

The only thing we didn't enjoy very much was a big wedding party who pretty much took over the resort, there was no escaping them, but there was always the beach and the climb kept us fit.

We did meet some lovely people.

The beds weren't very comfy, my mattress was ripped.

Not sure we'd return,the hotel is a bit out on a limb but the views are amazing.

Reviewed 28 September 2017

Stayed mid -September for 1 week with Tui. One problem is that the Apolostolata is the last hotel beyond Skala so last to drop off. Took one hour to get airport to Skala (nice views) then another 35 minutes before the hotel.
Had a superior room upgrade and a sea view, although suspect nearly all rooms have the view. Good space, clean, large balcony and views of Zante and Greece. But bed and pillows were far too hard for me.
Yes, it is on a hill and lifts only do 2 or 3 floors. So it can mean 70 steps pool to restaurant. Keeps you fit. A steep descent if you want to swim in the sea at their small cove.
We were all inclusive. Food is well cooked but samey. Never got any high-end food such as steaks or paella. The AI wine was quite drinkable.
Near end of season so entertainment in the day was winding down. Usual aquasize and stretching, not much else. Evening in the bar for 5 nights out of 7 was a singer with a keyboard. Dire. Would be better if they just played music tracks.
WiFi in reception but our room close so we got it there too. But slow and a bit erratic.
Hotel a good 2 miles out of Skala although there is a courtesy bus. Trouble is there is not much there, a lot of restaurants but not much use if you are AI.
Not much to see on Kefalonia. From Skala really only 2 roads to north and to west, and both winding also narrow. Hired car to capital Argostoli, (22 miles one hour) nice place and there are quite a lot of sea turtles if you look for them. Also went to Sami and saw the Melissani and Drograti caves. Beware coach parties at the latter. Both are good but limited, half hour max.
Return to airport took 95 mins for 22 miles, this time 1st pickup. Tui got us there 3 1/4 hours before the flight! It is a tiny airport and departures was jam packed. Whatb you have to do is check in your bags and go to one of the tavernas 200m up the road. Leave it late before going to security.

Room Tip: Probably best to ask for room near reception.
1  Thank Tiffin99
Reviewed 28 September 2017 via mobile

I stayed in this resort for a week, I booked through Thomas cook and when I arrived upgraded to a private pool suite for 100 euros extra a night, and it was the best move I made, a fabulous suite, comfortable and huge, with fantastic views. Two TVs, with about 3 English speaking channels, a DVD player and CD player, a fridge, a kettle and tea and coffee, an electronic safe and an ironing board but no iron, and a hairdryer.
The staff were all helpful, and if spoken to properly dealt with with you with a friendly demeanour, but I did witness people who were rude to them, so just treat them the way you’d expect to be treated. They’re lovely people, even the pool bar girl has a smile if she’s spoken to properly.
The food was plentiful and tasty with a wide variety and was good, the Greek nights were particularly good, no complaints. The waiting staff were lovely, very attentive and friendly.
I was all inclusive, I have mixed views on this, as it was nice to be able to not worry about the price of drinks etc, but the alcoholic drinks served to AI are appalling, they do not taste like normal drinks, the gin was terrible and I gave that a miss after one g&t, the vodka was the same, very poor quality, the cocktails were terrible, the weirdest cocktails ever served to me, the wine unless you stipulate what you want you get the local wine and saying it’s wine is pushing it, it smelt like chemicals and tasted like pain stripper, saying this in the restaurant if you ask for a bottle of Chardonnay or sauv blanch or any other grape variety, the waiter will bring you as many bottles as you want, and it’s decent wine, and you can take away your bottles to your room, they do not do this in the bar upstairs, just palm you off with the local horrific wine.
The pool suites are at the lowest point in the resort, and there are many steps to the restaurant, but a phone call to reception and a golf cart will collect you within minutes and take you up, never had a problem with this service. But also had a hire car for the week, and would use this to go up the hill as well, worth it’s weight in gold, and saw the island, which is beautiful.
All in all a fabulous week and would return again especially to the same suite, was worth every penny, for the pool, the enormous room and the piece and quiet, was wonderful.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Diane D
Reviewed 27 September 2017 via mobile

To say this resort is 5 star is rubbish ,the food is poor canteen school meal type food ,kept warm in Bain Marie's ,totally tasteless . The resort Is very steep and there are lots of steps ,room service is poor ,tea and coffee not replenished .The pool area can be loud at times and age of guests can vary greatly .The staff however we're very attentive and work hard to please .Overall I suggest you take time in reading all reviews and then make your decisions ,I won't be returning or go five star ,half board again ,waste of money ,lesson learnt

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family