“PROBABLY THE BEST”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Agios Georgios
Hotel Costas Golden Beach
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Agios Georgios
Reviewed 26 October 2017

The transfer both to and from the hotel is by coach and mini bus. It was efficient and took less time than I thought it might, about one and a half hours in total.
The hotel only has 42 rooms so that made for a very pleasant atmosphere certainly helped by the very pleasant and friendly staff. The hotel is very clean and comfortable throughout.
The food at dinner was probably the best hotel buffet food I have had. Breakfast was good.
There is a free safe in the room and a water fountain for guests to fill up their water bottles. These are the little things that make the difference The location is ideal - just across the road from the beach. The hotel allows guests to take their sunbeds onto the beach (with shower provided ) and there are plenty of sunbeds each with their own sun shade around the pool.
We did 3 walks from the hotel. First the 3 kms uphill to the village of Pagi ( part of James Bond "For your Eyes Only " filmed here ) and then the 5 plus kms down via the donketb trail then the easier walk uphill to Afionas where we had fantastic views of St George's Bay. The easiest walk was along the coast to the remote Fishermans Cabin Taverna.
I note a couple of recent reviews which contain adverse comments.
We went on the last week of the season and on the final day (when everybody was leaving) the staff started to close the hotel down. The staff actually did start this process the day before but at 6pm which was the normal time for the pool to close so it did not effect anybody that day. The main problem was the pool was drained and sun beds cleared away. To those that were leaving before lunch (which included me) this was not an issue but there was a few people who were not leaving until 6pm and some of these were annoyed. The hotel offered free drinks and sandwiches on this final day which was a very positive gesture but this has probably given a minority of people a window of opportunity to complain.
The hotel is owned and run by Dimitris , his wife Dina, son Spiros and daughter Anastasia who have a very hands on approach. They greet everybody like long lost friends and to some this may appear strange but some are actually friends of long standing – one guest we spoke with has been going there for more than 20 years. Many of the guests return year after year.
I never saw any rude or unfriendly attitude from any of the owners or staff throughout my stay there. On the contrary, on the final morning before we left we were treated to an impromptu and very amusing cabaret by three of the staff. Personally, I have no complaints whatsoever and would recommend this hotel to anyone.

5  Thank JBfromNY

Reviewed 25 October 2017

This was the first time we had stayed at this lovely, small and friendly hotel. We received an extremely warm welcome and we knew immediately we were going to enjoy our holiday.

The home cooked food was delicious and we enjoyed every single meal but if you are a vegetarian you could struggle.

It was a bonus to have a hairdryer in front of a mirror and by a socket so you could sit in comfort and dry your hair!

The cold water fountain came in very useful. Hot water in either a teapot or beaker was available at the bar so that saves taking a travel kettle.

We were pleased to discover the many beautiful walks from the hotel so take your walking shoes and enjoy them as we did.

If you go the last two weeks of the season be aware that the local bus (10.30 a.m.) to Corfu town finished on the 13th October and went on to the winter timetable.

Closing down did start on the 19th October and was in full swing by the morning of the 20th, the day the hotel closed. Fortunately our pickup was straight after breakfast so we left feeling we had enjoyed a perfect holiday. Perhaps closing down could start when all guests have departed so they could enjoy their last day.

We had a lovely, relaxing holiday. A big thank you to all the staff and family.

Room Tip: Request a sea view room
3  Thank angieManchester
Reviewed 24 October 2017 via mobile

When we boarded the coach to transfer to costas golden beach hotel we travelled up through the island and down to the hotel. Passing through olive groves.
When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by the friendly staff and Anastasia. We were then shown to our room by spirios. We had room 103. A great comfortable room with a lovely terrace overlooking the pool. The hotel is a small and friendly hotel. The gardens and pool are kept spotless. The food is nice home cooked food. Bar is nice and comfortable with a good selection of drinks at the normal price. The hotel is accross the road from an amazing beach. The resort has a few bars and restaurants and shops.
If you are looking to recharge your batteries. Look no further.
We had an amazing time and met some lovely people.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Andrew A
Reviewed 22 October 2017

The very fact I noticed the review below mine had received so many helpful votes is because it seems people are so frightened to review this anything below excellent with fear of confrontation especially for returning guests.

This hotel prides itself on treating others like family in such a welcoming way that the same people go back year after year. Unfortunately people fall for this when its actually brilliant business sense.

I had a wonderful holiday which started lovely and then ended so bad. It was like watching a theatre play of people pretending to be something they aren't really and then the last days showing their true colours. Watching guests who have visited for years and years upset was not pleasant!

The hotel itself is fine, not anything amazingly special but the professional friendly staff make up for this treating you like one of your own. Then a few days before our holiday was to finish chaos started...

Each professional smart member of staff turned into rude people with no manners in scruffy clothes. The main manager was so rude and ignored others too. I was shocked at his change of behaviour. It was just like a whole different character!??

The hotel removed furniture, clearing out rooms, lots of noise, draining the pool, no where to relax as even the sun chairs were removed! The kitchen even closed. I have no problems at the end of the season to close the hotel but do this AFTER guests have left not the last days of their holiday. Manners cost nothing but I paid for the whole stay of my holiday and received half a holiday.

I won't be going back, recommending this strange place to anyone and if you fall for the 'lovely family feel' and spend your money going back year after year I hope you soon realise this is not genuine.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
24  Thank DoolallyDoodles
CostasGoldenBeach, Owner at Hotel Costas Golden Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

I have been informed, because personally I do not read and do not use the internet, of the above review and the complaints of the guests that refer to the last day for summer season 2017. It is mentioned in the review that other guests expressed their complaints too who did not write a review.
For this reason and to prevent in the future complaints for the same matter and so that too much of the discussion stops (replies of other guests to the guests who complained) we reply to the review.
In the entire world from what I know the obligations of the hotel towards their guests on the day of the departure ends at 11am.
Let’s make it clear then that we did not have beyond that time no obligation towards our guests whose departure was in the afternoon, neither to offer drinks and sandwiches, neither to leave guests to use and keep their rooms until the time that they left the hotel in late afternoon, whether by payment or free of charge. We offered these things and in fact free of charge, and we would gladly do the other things that are mentioned in the review if we did not have the reasons that prevented us.
That was the forecast of the next day and for the period of a week which did not give us the security to collect from the pool the umbrellas that have to be stored completely dry for the winter. The collection of the umbrellas from the pool area created an immediate concern of the safety of guests because the base that they are attached to are screwed to the ground and there was a danger of a serious injury if a guest tripped on one of them.
There was guests who instead of coming to the reception, who if they did we would have given then solutions and areas to sunbathe, as they claimed, preferred to violate the no entry sign to enter the pool area, something that we did not like, and in addition to this, they did not listen and they were not polite to the staff members when they were asked to leave the area, something that we did not like even more.
As far as that the staff changed their stance and behaviour that day and that they did an improper gesture between them, even if I saw it with my eyes I would not believe it. But now that I think about it, the person who wrote could not have misunderstood or wrote a lie. It must be the vitamin tables that I put inside their coffee so that they were strong because that day would have been very tiring for them, and I also drunk from the same coffee that is why I was not polite to some of the guests as it is mentioned. I apologize for this and will not do it again.
We also had to close the kitchen of the hotel and not serve hot food for lunch, because it is the year when we need a new license of fire protection and because the kitchen is located in the basement and the use of gas under the new specifications requires measures of protection that we considered uneconomic we decided that we will abolish the gas as a means of energy.
This decision created major changes, we were already out of schedule, and therefore lots of different professionals, people who fit tiles, plumbers, electricians, were waiting to start work. After all, out of a total of 85 guests who were staying the last week, the mean number of people who used the hotel’s restaurant for hot lunch was only 6.
That specific day we gave to the 25 guests who stayed in the hotel after 12pm a total of 23 sandwiches and this made us late by 2 hours to be able to prepare and deliver the kitchen to the people who came to work in it.
And because in Greece we say that being a true person is what makes you a good friend, I would like to let the guests who will spend their holidays with us, all being well, in the future, that on the closing day of the summer for those who will leave in the late afternoon, that the only thing I can promise them is that they will have a room after 12pm to use for shower should they want it before they leave.
In 2006 if I remember well, I and Dina were on a cruise with the cruise ship “Voyager of the Seas” of the Royal Carribean Cruises. It was a new and wonderful ship with amazing service. The day of our departure from the ship to Barcelona however ourselves and our luggage needed to be out of the ship at 7 am and our flight back to Greece was at 10.30pm. But, we knew this and we did not mind. We went to the airport, left our luggage there and went to the city to do sightseeing.
We visited the city and the “New Camp” the stadium of Barcelona F.C. which has the same colours with my team Kerkyra F.C. I bought as a souvenir the shirt of Lionel Messi who back then was not the star of the team, but I liked him already more than the then stars of the team. Guests of the hotel wore this shirt when we went together to see games of Kerkyra F.C. and I can’t wait to do this again when the hotel will be in operation next year and the team will be playing at the National Corfu Stadium.
I have lots of work to do, apart from the kitchen, in the rooms too as some of you know, in addition we have olives to harvest and make olive oil, family obligations, things to do with my team etc. and I also need a rest. I was planning to have a rest with a trip to London but I have not had the time to go to attend the TUI awards ceremony and the World Travel Market and mainly to visit friends guests who I promised to go and visit them as they are not able to come on holidays for various reasons, but promise them that I will do so later in the winter.
So, please if anyone else thinks about sending another review that will require a reply, please give me two months before you do it.
The hotel for the summer 2018 is already busy, it is small and becomes sold out fast, so anyone who considers to come on holidays better not leave it too long because they will not be able to find a place.
Most probably we will extend the season with TUI for another week in October and if this happens it will happen soon and there will be a post to announce it, so that we do again the olive oil press and tasting with the guests, and watch the games of Kerkyra F.C. for the league or for the cup and why not for a game for the UEFA, which without being our aim to go to the UEFA europa league if that happens we will not say no.
The team has got a lot and good fans which is the main force of every team and parents can bring their children to the stadium something that unfortunately is not a must in many stadiums in Greece and I hope that this changes one day and it has to change. In addition, it is supported by excellent medical and coaches team, very good players both in skill and character, good administration and chairman (I am nothing of the above, just a soldier). The team was unfortunate until now in the results of the games, it deserved to have many more points, but I do not worry, because as long as the above exist the results will come too.
I wish to everybody a good winter, Merry Christmas and good health.
Dimitris.

Reviewed 21 October 2017

Our first holiday at Costas Golden Beach we had such a brilliant welcome from the family. The first few days was as every positive thing everyone has previously said on reviews. Then their was a complete turnaround.....
We were due to leave Friday evening Thursday late afternoon the hotel started clearing away for the winter. We were looking over our balcony and saw at 6pm all pool umbrellas were removed.
We woke up to noise Friday morning to find the pool half drained, pool sunloungers removed, jacuzzi drained pick up trucks removing mattresses, bed tables, TVs, pictures.the pool area was completely closed off.
They had left some tables and chairs outside the entrance and the undercover dining area. They closed the kitchen after breakfast but did offer complimentary free drinks and sandwiches.
Quite honestly we were in the way and staff was moving things around us. Even asked if they could move our table to get sunloungers past us.
The lovely tidy smart staff in uniform had changed into work clothes.
Looking out of our balcony I even saw one member of staff stick his middle finger up at another member of staff during Greek banter.
It was a complete change around.
The owner Dimitri completely blanked us which was so different to the rest of the holiday where he had been so friendly. I was told the same from other guests when I was at the airport. One guest said to us at the hotel that he can see it for what it really was now and his words was "We have all been taken in" .
At the airport another guest said that they have been going to Costas Golden Beach for years and was visibly emotionally moved because of how they had been treated the last day. I was a travel agent manager for many years for now what is Tui. I really do not understated why any hotel would move everything out whilst they still have guests in their hotel. Sadly Costas Golden Beach your customers always remember the end of their holiday if your open until the 20th October stay fully open until all your guests have left and then close down.

24  Thank AdvisorNGS

I wish to everybody a good winter, Merry Christmas and good health.
Dimitris.

17.6 km away
Kontokali Bay Resort and Spa
22.3 km away
San Antonio Corfu Resort

Been to Hotel Costas Golden Beach? Share your experiences!