Grand Lapa Macau
US$105
US$82
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$93/night.

US$220
US$153
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$178/night.

Hotel Royal Macau(Macau)(Great Value!)
US$96
US$103
US$99
Trip.com
Savings alert! 21% below average rates

The price you found is 21% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$126/night.

US$132
US$54
US$51
Savings alert! 20% below average rates

The price you found is 20% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$64/night.

US$154
US$139
US$246
US$173
Savings alert! 16% below average rates

The price you found is 16% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$206/night.

Rio Hotel & Casino(Macau)(Great Value!)
US$115
US$91
Agoda.com
Savings alert! 25% below average rates

The price you found is 25% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$122/night.

US$155
US$128
Priceline
Savings alert! 30% below average rates

The price you found is 30% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$184/night.

All reviewssands casinobela vistaferry terminalswimming poolmandarin orientalcake shopgrand prixgreat poolkids clubnice resortunder renovationfree shuttlehotel shuttlefisherman's wharfcasino hotelscotai stripbirthday cake
Reviewed 11 July 2011

I've never written a review for tripadvisor before, and usually when you either have a extraordinary experience, it compels you to write something to give credit where it's due. Unfortunately for Grand Lapa, it's in a negative sense. The hotel itself is, for the most part, perfectly fine. I believe in fact, it was the original Mandarin Oriental in Macau, before they opened the new MO next to MGM by the water. So in fact, the hotel itself is quite nice, perhaps a little wornout, but nothing that made me feel uncomfortable. The swimming pool and gym are the highlights of the accomodations, which although can get a little crowded (which can be argued as proof they are better than avg), is how I would spend my time if I was just to relax at the hotel. Another small positive, is that instead of 'no-name' water, they provide you with 'Bonaqua' water (which is a commercial brand of water).

My reason for the 2 stars only? I'd give 2.5 stars if I could, but my experience was closer to 2 than 3 stars. One word, the service. Horrible.

When they moved the MO to the new location, they must have taken all the original staff as well. Here's the highlights:

- checking in took approximately 15 minutes. That's when you got to the counter. This isn't a big deal, I'd expect it most places outside of Hong Kong and Macau (I'm from Hong Kong, where things are done fast fast fast). I can only compare to other hotels I've stayed at in Macau (Grand Lisboa, Venetian, Westin, Mandarin Oriental to name a few), check in takes around 5 minutes. Give them your ID, credit card, wait for them to enter some data in the computer, they print out something for you to sign and they give you the key. Done! At least that's what it usually is. Nope, at Grand Lapa, you have to painfully watch as they enter in tons of info into their systems print out mulitple pages, staple, file and do a bunch of other administrative things (suggestion: do this LATER!!!) before they give you the sign-in form to sign and give you your keys.

- Internet services are not free. Fine I can understand some hotels making the decision to charge for in room internet services. The rate isn't horrible, 165 HKD for 24 hours. BUT... If we decide to pay for it, it shouldn't be a crappy connection that's SLOW! On top of that, their business center also charges for internet usage and is closed on Sundays... Guess they want people to 'disconnect' from the internet and go swim in their pool...

- Get chinese lessons from housekeeping. We requested additional bath wash, as they only provide enough for one night per couple (in my opinion). If you go swimming and want to shower after that, it's definitely not enough. However, their housekeeping has no idea what 'bath/shower wash/gel' is and we had to revert to speaking Cantonese (not our native language). Of course, they bring up a bar of soap. Ok, understandable and a simple miscommunication. We try again and show them the empty bottle of shower gel and they understand. They go and get it right? No. They instead, decide to give us a lecture on how to call it properly in Cantonese and say that if we ask in English of course housekeeping won't understand. Unbelieveable. (On top of that, we asked for 2 shower gels, so we didn't have to ask again later, and instead they bring us 1 shower gel, 1 shampoo and 1 conditioner)

Last highlight:
- replacement key... so I made the mistake of trusting the pocket in my swimming trunks. And while swimming, my room key seemed to have slipped out into the pool. After a bit of searching, I gave up and headed over to the front desk to ask for a replacement. Of course, the front desk has a lengthy line up, so I try the concierge (which is right next to the front desk) since I assume it's a simple process. Plus being the inconsiderate guest, I'm still dripping... Nope, they ask me to line up at the front desk, and I once again go through the dread of watching each guest take 15+ minutes to check-in. Sure enough, (after waiting 15 minutes or so, a minature lake of pool water drips from me all over the ground), once I ask for a card replacement, it took all of 10 seconds for them to give it to me and I was off back to the pool! Now that's great customer service!

I paid their regular rack rate, no breakfast included or anything, so I have to compare it to other hotels, and frankly, it's not a bad hotel at all. However, the service really put a damper on our trip and I'd happily pay the same price or more to stay elsewhere, even if there wasn't as nice a swimming pool (Galaxy anyone!?).

To sum up:
- no free internet, and it's slow even if you decide to pony up.
- nice swimming pool
- previously was the Mandarin Oriental, and they still use the MO brand for Grand Lapa
- staff need to learn what good service means.

Why take the risk, stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: If you stay on the south side of the rooms, you should get a view of the pool, which is better than looking at the city, in my opinion.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FattyToro
Reviewed 10 July 2011

The hotel is a little dated, and the rooms clearly have seen better days. It certainly must have been grand a decade or so ago. Some parts have been renovated and have a fresh updated look. Nonetheless, it is clean and comfortable. Service is very pleasant and the staff manning the concierge desk was extremely helpful with restaurant recommendations and reservations, and giving taxi drivers directions in Cantonese. The reception at the ferry terminal was also warm and friendly.

We stayed here 1 night, and this being July, it was hot and muggy outside. The Kid's club at the Grand Lapa was a heaven-sent. We dropped our 5-year-old off for a few hours while we battled the oppressive heat to see the old town. The pool area is attractive, though we did not get a chance to use it.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with a view of the pool area
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 July 2011

It was holiday on 1 July in HK so we went to Macau for a short trip. The stay at Grand Lapa was recommended by my travel agent and it's of great value for the Mandarin Oriental service you pay for it. The hotel was it fact the ex-Mandarin Oriental Hotel and now still operates by the MO group. The resort facility is great and there is Spa, pool and mini gold, etc. We can see the harbor from the hotel room and it was a great stay for a relaxing trip.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NgHoMan
Reviewed 26 May 2011

We made a reservation through a third-party website (Macau.com) and got a really good deal (+/-50% off)
We were on a 4-month backpacking trip and wanted to splurge for a couple of days (our wedding Anniversary)
One of the main reasons why we choose this hotel was because it had a real nice pool!
The hotel is located really close to the ferry port, and they have a free shuttle service to pick you up and a free bottled water upon boarding.

Eventhough we paid 50% of the regular rate, we were upgrated to a one bedroom Suite with balcony - Resort view, when we mentioned our anniversary.

The staff was excellent, very helpful and polite at all times.

The room was big, beautiful, clean... excellent. The bathroom was not new, but extremely clean and in great condition. Small tub.

The bed was so comfortable that we had a hard time getting of it. TV had a lot of channels and free movie channels. In addition you could order more movies.

We had a plate of fruit and you could request more for the next afternoon free of charge.

My only complaint would be that internet was not free and not cheap.

The Macanese restaurant inside the hotel was good.

The pool area was really nice, unfortunatelly, it rained the 2 days we spent in Macau, so we couldn't use the pool.

Room Tip: Get a pool side balcony room
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2011

In the Grand Lapa you feel the ambience you would expect from a grand old hotel of Asia. In particular the lounge where the meals are served is quite beautiful and the service is great.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business