“West Yucatan”
Review of Hotel Xixim

Hotel Xixim
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Celestun
Reviewed 8 September 2016

We spend 3 days here, the property outside is very nice and there is nature sign to help understood the environment you are in.The staff is very helpful and most of them is English spoken. Is very peaceful here, relaxing and we enjoy the stay. the kayak and bicycle are free to use, the restaurant offering a good meals with choice of vegetarian. The staff try to controls the bugs fogging every night but it is a problem here so bring more repellent if you can... The room are all without AC so if you suffer the heat or you have health condition be advise... Summers month are hot ! The Tour of the flamingo it was nice, bring a camera gear lot of good picture !!

Room Tip: The even# room are suites with sea view
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paolokc
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2016

Dear Paolokc

In my name and in the name of all the staff that works in Xixim, Unique Mayan Hotel, we thank you for such a nice, pleasant review.

Thank you for considering the service of our staff helpful, our meals of good quality and the choice of our free activities interesting.

The flamingo tour is a must if you travel to this part of the world. In the summer there are less flamingoes, but it is still worthwhile visiting. Don’t miss it.

We obviously await you with open arms at Xixim, where we will pamper you, as you deserve and as best as we can.

Wishing you a wonderful day and a pleasant weekend,
Kind regards,

Reviewed 3 September 2016 via mobile

Great place to be. Perfect location to relax and enjoy nature, the exact opposite of seaside resorts, built with a respect of the environment and local ecosystems. Of course, no A/C. Nice and large huts/rooms, mosquito nets, open air shower, great staff, good restaurant. We loved the 7:30 coffee delivered in the room! You'll even find complimentary insect repellent...which is a must have in this environment. But you cannot blame the hotel for mosquitos...

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2016

Dear Eric C,

In my name and in the name of all the staff that works in Xixim, Unique Mayan Hotel, we thank you for your exquisite, delightful review.

Thank you for understanding that in such an environment we can only control mosquitoes, but not eradicate them, as much of the wildlife that we are proud of, feeds on them such as birds and iguanas. Indeed, we, as human beings are the intruders.

Thank you also for having enjoyed our setting, the morning treat in your suite, the food and the personalized service or our staff.

We obviously hope, that you path will bring you soon back to Xixim, where we will pamper you again as you deserve.

Wishing you a wonderful day and an interesting weekend,

Reviewed 15 August 2016 via mobile

Hotel Xixim is the best place to find peace and calm in Celestún , the service is excellent and the ecotouristic hotel has a low environmental impact policy , this is why I was surprised to see drinks served at the Pool and at the beach in plastic glasses , that was my only disappointment.

It is also important to know that not all the rooms have wi fi and none of them have air conditioning only ceiling fans which are enough because the shaks are near the beach and there it is fresh and windy .

Overall it was an amazing experience and if you plan doing the biking tour to the lighthouse you need to rent the bone somewhere else and be prepared because it is a four hours ride , two hrs. to get there have a picnic ( take a lot of water and snacks with you) and two hours to come back to the hotel . The view from the lighthouse is absolutely worth it! And it is an Amazing feeling to "earn the view" after a long biking trip.

When I was back from the biking trip I drank the best coca cola ever ! at Xixims pool . Try it out you will not regreat it!

Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2016

Dear Lorena T,

In my name and in the name of all the staff that works in Xixim, Unique Mayan Hotel, we thank you for your lovely, charming review.

By law and tourism dispositions, one con not serve drinks in glasses in pool or public areas, as they might break and injure guests. Believe me, I was also annoyed at this disposition, trying to be an ecological resort, but nothing doing – law is law – and if we do not comply with this, we can have a huge penalty fee from our Secretaría de Salud – Health Department – and even they can close up the premises.

I am thrilled that you are such an AMAZING ecotraveler. To go bicycling 20 km to the El Palmar Lighthouse with a very bad sandy road, lots of sun and heat with no shade, is astonishing. I am surprised and thankful, that you arrived – we are somewhat responsible for our gests as a hotel company.

Indeed the view is surely worthwhile the trip.

I obviously hope, that you will come back soon to Xixim, where we will pamper you again as you deserve.

Wishing you a wonderful day and an interesting weekend,

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 July 2016 via mobile

After reading some reviews commenting on the bad things about this place, I had some reservations before our arrival. Now after three days here, I can say without a doubt Hotel Xixim is fabulous in every way. The staff is extremely friendly, helpful, and patient with my poor Spanish. The food was fresh, well presented, and always reliably delicious. The room was clean and comfortable. The beach does have a lot of algae at the shoreline, but was fine further out. Will definitely come back!

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2016

Dear Wonderful

In my name and in the name of all the staff that works in Xixim, Unique Mayan Hotel, we thank you for this enhancing, beautiful review.

What can I say, you clearly mentioned all we want to offer in Xixim: fabulous place, extremely friendly staff, delicious fresh food, clean an comfortable room. We are very thankful that you noticed and appreciated it.

The natural phenomenon of algae on the beach has occurred only a few times in the history of Xixim. As bad as you encountered it, only twice. There is nothing that we can do: the sea brings it and it has to take it away again. Right now it is gone – we obviously are happy.

I am extremely thankful about your statement “Will definitely come back!” This is the best gift a hotelier can get. We will obviously pamper you, as you deserve, on your next visit.

Wishing you a wonderful day,

Reviewed 30 June 2016 via mobile

Xixim is a very beautiful hotel but it should offer more for the price we paid... The food is not good, from breakfast to dinner has a lot of opportunities... The beach is terrible, dirty, smells, it doesn't feel like going swimming... I just won't come back

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2016

Dear Luzani

In my name and in the name of all the staff that works in Xixim, Unique Mayan Hotel, we thank you for having taken your time to write your review.

I am profoundly sorry, that you encountered our beach with this stinky mud and heaps of seaweed. I fully understand that you couldn’t dare to swim in these waters. In the 21 years of existence of Xixim, we have had this natural phenomenon only twice. This one and another one about 15 years ago. We obviously do not like it whatsoever, but unfortunately there is nothing a human being can do. The sea brings it and we have to wait until the sea washes it away again. I hope this will happen soon.

What I regret the most is, that you did not like our food. Normally we get very good comments on it. I do not know what happened with the kitchen during your stay. I apologize for this flaw.

Last, but not least, your comment ‘I just won’t come back’ saddens me. Hopefully you can reconsider this statement and give us another chance to show you the bright, unique and mystique face of Xixim.

Wishing you a wonderful day,