• Breakfast included
  • Beachfront
Hotel Gutierrez(Celestun)
Hotel Sofia(Celestun)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsmaster suitedirt roadmosquito netother gueststhree daysjuice bareco hotelremote locationhour driveknowledgeable guidethe hotel websitefamily poolcaptive audiencecevicheget away from it allmiles and milesreception area
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 28 December 2016 via mobile

We have spent four nights in this hotel in a beautiful cabin with a view on the Gulf. It is true that there are many musquitoes in this area but the cabins themselves are perfectly isolated against these monsters and the hotel provides guests with anti repellant that works just fine. Other than that, taking care of one's health is one's own responsability, I suppose...
Very friendly and helpfull staff, both at the reception desk and in the restaurant and bar.
Good food. You can choose to have supper in the quiet restaurant or in the (more noisy) bar upstairs.
For Mexican standards quite expensive but we had a great time here.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2016

Dear Guest,

In my name and in the name of all the staff that works in Xixim, Unique Mayan Hotel, we thank you for such a wonderful review.

I very much liked your description of our resort as “idyllic”. I also like to call it mystic and magic. Thank you, also, for considering our food and service as good and friendly. We take grate care on both issues to maintain the quality. Thank you for noticing it.

As to mosquitoes, we are between two waters, the Gulf of Mexico and the Celestun Inlet. Both produce an amazing amount of this, as you call them, monsters. We make a big effort to control them fumigating regularly both inside and outside, but, as you correctly sate, please protect yourself. We humans are the intruders. We should not exterminate them, as they are a basic link in the food chain for birds, reptiles and some mammals.

I hope your path soon brings you back to Xixim, where we would love to pamper you again

Wishing you a 2017, full of joy and love,

Reviewed 28 December 2016

This is an amazing hotel, located in the incredibly beautiful setting of the Yucatan Gulf coast, this is the exact opposite of Cancun and the Riviera Maya over-developed properties. It is difficult to go to a more remote location in Yucatan, and while it is only 2 hours from Merida airport, you will feel transported back in time to a simpler place. The rooms and patios are beautiful and very comfortable. This is the perfect place to “get away from it all”, the rooms lack wifi, TV and often phone signal, so it is highly recommended for a digital detox vacation. If you really need your digital fix, there’s a TV and wifi in the reception area and bar. We liked that the bar had some games like ping pong and pool tables.

The beach is stunning, with beds and hammocks, and depending on occupancy, it might be completely deserted. The sea is calm, but the water is not very clear so it’s not suitable for snorkelling or diving, but perfect for a lazy swim.

The hotel is located right in the middle of the Celestun Natural Reserve, so you will also be able to see an amazing range of birds, and you can take a day tour to see the pink flamingos, a truly amazing experience. However, the fact that this is located in the middle of the reserve comes with an insect problem. While the grounds are kept clean and fumigated, but this does not stop the occasional spider from wandering in from the wilds surrounding the hotel. Mosquitoes are also a big issue, as you are right in the middle of a mangrove area. We were not prepared for the first day, so we were bitten right from the start. We recommend to make mosquito control one of your priorities, as this will truly enhance your experience. We used repellent all the time, and also invested in buying an inspect-repellent spiral for the outside area, and a “plaquita” for the electric plugs. You can find all of these in Celestun.

You should also plan ahead if you’re not driving, the place is about 20-minute drive from Celestun, where all the shops and restaurants are. The hotel can provide you with a free transfer to town, but you must book it in advance.

Keep in mind that the rooms are often located close to each other, so while you have a separate unit, you can often hear your neighbours quite clearly.

Room Tip: The beach front cabañas are worth the extra price.
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anduin13
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2016

Dear Anduin 13,

In my name and in the name of all the staff that works in Xixim, Unique Mayan Hotel, we thank you for such a lovely, precise and vast review.

Truly unique and amazing are adjectives that I very much like for this resort. Thank your for your appreciation.

You are right, the Gulf of Mexico is not suitable for snorkeling or diving. It is very shallow and has no coral reef. Instead it is the perfect sea for fishing. We guarantee you a hearty catch of edible fish, which you will enjoy after a cooking class instructed by our Chef. The perfect tour.

Yes, we do have some mosquitos in the Nature Reserve, but very few at this time of year. Mosquitos are usually concentrated in the early morning at sunrise and at dusk and not an issue for most of our guests. The hotel sprays organic Pyrethrin twice daily during these hours to reduce their presence, and still protect other creatures which are part of the natural environment and food chain. We also provide organic repellent if requested and recommend Vitamin B for those people who are more sensitive to mosquitos. It is also helpful to wear a lightweight, long sleeved shirt and pants if walking around the beach or vegetated paths in the early morning, or at dusk and early evening.

I really hope this is not your last visit to Xixim, where we would love to pamper you again.

Wishing you a 2017, full of happiness and love,
Kind regards

Reviewed 24 December 2016

We stayed here for 3 nights, it is a beautiful property, very well distributed. All rooms have alot of privacy and lovely views of the sea. The restaurant served good food and the bar is a great spot to sit outside and have a drink and take in peace, quite and a spectacular view of the property. We also used the pools as there are 2 on the property. We really enjoyed our time here.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this reviewResponded 25 December 2016

Dear Rafaellalavitabella,

In my name and in the name of all the staff that works in Xixim, Unique Mayan Hotel, we thank you for such an extraordinary, amazing review.

I am very pleased that you liked our setting, our food, the bar and our pools. Very much appreciated, as everything has been done with a lot of love for you, our guests, but also for our environment and Planet Earth.

Wishing you a merry Christmas and a 2017, full of joy and love,

Reviewed 18 December 2016 via mobile

Its a dream. If you wanted someday to be kind of into "The return to the lagoon" movie... this is the place. Its about 40 minutes away from Merida. In the Celestun reservation. A complete eco hotel, no more than the hotel, no cell signal but the wonderful sea and nature. You will be in a true paradise. The rooms are eco builded, with no AC but they are really fresh because of the architecture (like a pyramid). Its a whole natural experience. The sunsets are an spectacle you need to enjoy every day... but... my favorite was: To go to the terrace and see a sky full full of stars. Ask for the tours, I deeply recommend you the "Alligator exploring by night", dont be scared! Its truly magical: You will be in a safe boat in the Ria seeing biolumnicense (water enlighten), the sounds of nature and... the sky full of stars. Also take the fishing tour, then you can cook it... wonderful experience (Plus plus)

Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2016

Dear OscarValdemar:

In my name and in the name of all the staff that works in Xixim, Unique Mayan Hotel, we thank you for such an extraordinary review.

I loved your appreciation “It’s a dream” and I am very thankful that you really where engaged with Xixim, its environment and surroundings, e.g. the sunsets and the sky full of stars, its flora and fauna. That is what we offer from the bottom of our hearts, a unique heavenly spot on earth. There is just one condition – one has to be in unison with it. If not, you will miss it. I am so glad you could feel and experience it.

As to the tours, the two that you mentioned are unique to Xixim. Both should be taken and I specially recommend the fishing tour as you get the whole experience = fish, cook and eat. More fresh, impossible.

Wishing you a merry Christmas and a 2017, full of joy and love,

Reviewed 12 September 2016

I was looking to escape from the stresses of life and Xixim was a blessing. Situated 10km from civilization on a virgin beach and within the biosphere, calm serenity awaits.

I stayed in Master Suite 16 having a King Bed, living room (with a very comfy couch), an amazing indoor/outdoor shower and bathroom with a view. I particularly liked having my own private covered patio and dipping pool. The lounger and chairs and hammock on the private patio provide a welcome and comfortable reprieve. The hut is about 100 meters from the beach with a buffer zone natural area, providing even more privacy. Note that there is no air conditioning, however the two ceiling fans and breezes from the ocean was sufficient.

Note that Xixim provides a relaxing and stress-free atmosphere. You are away from the stresses of technology. There are no televisions in the rooms, however there is a TV in the bar/restaurant area. Internet is sporadic at best. To get internet, I would recommend visiting the reception area or bar.

I was in need of internet for business-related correspondence and the woman at the reception area was so generous in providing me with a table on which to set up my laptop and wifi access. She even went beyond the call of duty and brought over a fan to keep me cool while working! It is little things such as these that makes a guest feel welcome and special.

I found that there was lots of natural and healthy things to do at Xixim including walking on the beautiful beach, hiking the nature trails, bicycles, kayaks, paddle boards, yoga studio, gym, two pools and lazy beach chairs in the shade. Across from the gym and yoga studio is a lovely juice bar lounge.

Waking up in the morning to the sounds of nature is refreshing for the soul. In the mornings I would wrap myself up in the complimentary housecoat and slippers and sit on my private deck to watch the numerous birds, huge butterflies, and fishing boats heading to the sunrise. I would get a quiet "hola" and a gentleman would come carrying a tray of coffee and tea and tasty breads. If you decide to sleep-in, the morning coffee is brought to your room through a secure window onto an awaiting table.

Breakfast is hearty and healthy. You are started with a selection of artisan breads with tomato jam, carrot jam, butter, and cinnamon butter. I would recommend the carrot jam ... oh so good! Breads are accompanied by a selection of fresh fruit and then your main course. The health-conscious food is prepared with care, is delicious, and presentation appealing.

The supper menu has a large selection of seafood and salads and options for meat or vegetarian dishes.

I would recommend checking out the webpage for the special of the month. During my visit this September, I took advantage of the 2 for 1 special ... book 1 night and get the 2nd night free. A fabulous deal!

Booking, Check-in, and Check-out was effortless. The staff were very attentive and friendly. I truly felt special.

Get unplugged from the stress of life. Treat yourself to the serenity awaiting you at Xixim.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ruth H
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2016

Dear Ruth H,

What can I say to your charming and enchanting review. Nothing, but thank you in my name and in the name of all the staff that works in Xixim, Unique Mayan Hotel.

I have read your review over and over again and you describe the experience we want to offer to our guests just as is, nothing more, nothing less. Thank you for having done so and having captured it so accurately.

If you live near by, we are having tomorrow our big Mexican fiesta. We would love to invite you to “el gran grito de independencia”. If not, we obviously hope, that your path will bring you soon back to Xixim, where we will pamper you again as you deserve.

Wishing you a wonderful day and an interesting fun weekend,
Kind regards