Hotel Xixim
  • Beachfront
Hotel Gutierrez(Celestun)
Hotel Sofia(Celestun)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsmaster suitedirt roadeco resortevery morningget awayjuan carlosjuice barremote locationknowledgeable guidethe hotel websitecaptive audiencecevichemiles and milessea saltreception arealocal dishesday tour
Reviewed 21 March 2017 via mobile

Getting away from distractions for some beach sun and card games with the family. No phone no tv no web for three days!
The food is good, especially dinner and lunch. Breakfast I can skip.
Water sports on demand and a family pool and an adult only pool. Spa and relaxation.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2017

Dear Jose S:

I am thankful and exited, that you liked our technology free resort. Indeed you have access to those facilities in Xixim, but you have to want them, not, as for instance in Mexico City, where I live, that you are bombarded by technology and news. I personally have learned in Xixim, that the news that you have to know will come to you regardless where you are or what communication gadgets you possess.

Definitely Xixim, Unique Mayan Hotel, lends itself to practice the interaction and coexistence with family and friends.

Thank you also, for considering our food good, and that you liked our facilities and the supply of activities.

I really hope this is not your last visit to Xixim, where we would love to pamper you again.

Wishing you a wonderful spring time,

Reviewed 8 March 2017 via mobile

Staff was really friendly. The king size rooms were in great shape. The views and tranquility of this place are hard to describe. Food was really good at the main restaurant and fairly priced. Even room service was a nice touch for a quick quiet dinner at the room.

Bring mosquito repellent and natural sunscreen to enjoy the natural wonders of this coast!

Tip: Take a tour in town to see the Flamingo reserve!

Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2017

Dear Rod R:

In my name and in the name of all the staff that works in Xixim, Unique Mayan Hotel, we thank you for such a gorgeous and charming review.

Yes, indeed, as you state, “the views and tranquility of this place are hard to describe”. One has to experience it and also like it, as there are some guests that need more excitement. We cannot and do not want to offer it. I am thankful that you enjoyed and appreciated it.

Thank you also, for considering our food really good, our friendly staff and that you liked the pink flamingo tour.

Wishing you a wonderful spring time,

Reviewed 15 February 2017

Our stay here felt like the biggest bait and switch I have ever experienced in any travel capacity. The hotel website describes a wondrous 5 star property among stunning beaches and mangroves. Even TripAdvisor reviews are glowing. However, I urge any traveler to stay away....or at least vastly lower expectations.

Planned Stay: 3 Nights in the End of January (only stayed 1)

Transportation: The transportation was the best part of our experience with the hotel. Our driver picked us up (and subsequently returned us) to our hotel in Merida. An efficient, reasonably price drive through the Yucatan. Our driver even stopped and let us take pictures as we entered Celestun.

Room: We booked a Master Suite for the duration of our stay. Upon being shown to our room, everything seemed "nice enough". However, as you look closely at fixtures, floors, walls, etc. you will notice a complete lack of maintenance for a fairly new property. Overall our room was dirty and outdated (the services booklet for the hotel was 10 years old and was torn). The biggest issue came in the evening. Our shower screen evidently had multiple large holes that allowed a horde of mosquitoes to enter our home while we were out and about (quite the maintenance issue). Anyone who stays here has to understand there will be bugs, but bugs to this level stemming from poor maintenance is unacceptable.

The hotel was kind enough to move us to another master suite (there were only three other guests staying at the property at this time). However, this room was even worse. Issues included:
-Poor maintenance
-Bathroom smelling of raw sewage (which trickled into the enter living space)
-Ant infestation
-Mini fridge with completely rusted metal racks
-Wading pool not filled with water (one reason we chose the master suite to begin with)
-Old mosquito netting around the bed covered with dead bugs and blood from old mosquitoes
-Etc.

Amenities: The natural features of the property are absolutely stunning and are one of the few redeeming qualities of this hotel. The hotel advertises a long list of amenities, but there were quite a few hiccups in our short stay:
-NOTHING WAS OPEN (the restaurant was closed and folks were told to eat in the bar area; the juice bar wasn't open and had chairs knocked over on the inside of it; the pool snack bar wasn't open; the gift shop/store wasn't open; employees were drinking among themselves at the bar instead)
-The pool area smelled of sewage (similar to our second room bathroom)
-The beach chairs/sitting areas appear to never be cleaned

Service: The only way to describe the service is strange. We felt like outsiders. No warm greetings from bartenders or waiters, nothing being open, a manager who clearly didn't care about the above issues. Just bizarre. The pinnacle came when were trying to speak to the hotel about ending our stay early. The manager wouldn't come out and speak with us directly and instead relied on a "messenger" to go back and forth between us and his office 10 yards away. He finally caved and spoke to us, providing no refund or discount for all of the issues of his hotel. As we sat on the steps near the hotel lobby trying to find a new hotel in Merida at 11PM at night, a large dog standing in the lobby starts barking at us loudly. The manager looks at the dog, looks at us, says nothing and walks to his car into the night.

Conclusion: If you want to see Celestun, stay in Merida and make it a day trip. This property has awful service, poorly maintained rooms, and ridiculous prices for the product you receive. Stay away.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank slett110
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2017

Dear Slett110,

I am really sorry that you did not like our concept of hotel. This happens and we both cannot do anything about it. I deeply regret it.

Indeed, if we have less occupation, we do not open all of our facilities, because this causes more lack of service and attention to our guests. In fact, having the restaurant service in our Bar el Santuario is much more cozy than in a big empty restaurant Zaxim. But, as said, this is a matter of taste and we are sorry that we upset you.

Juice therapy and yoga should have been opened at 7:00 a.m., but perhaps something happened to Diana, the lady that is in charge of this premises.

Again, I am deeply sorry you had such a disgusting experience in Xixim, but hope that all in all, your stay in Mexico was enjoyable.

Wishing you a wonderful day,
Kind regards,

Reviewed 14 February 2017

We were surprised by the natural beauty of this wonderful retreat. Food was very good. The grouper and ceviche were wonderful.
We went to see the flamingos from town instead of going the the usual starting point. we enjoyed the extra boat ride and the nature along the way.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2017

Dear Douglas T,

In my name and in the name of all the staff that works in Xixim, Unique Mayan Hotel, we thank you for such a lovely review.

I am thrilled and excited on your comment “surprised by the natural beauty of this wonderful retreat”. I felt exactly the same the first time I had the fortune to get to know this amazing place. This is why I am now committed to preserve this little wonderful piece of land.

Thank you also, for considering our food as very good and that you enjoyed the pink flamingo tour.

Wishing you a pleasant week,

Reviewed 3 January 2017

We just loved this resort. We went not expecting much and were so delighted! It is like a glam Gilligan's Island where you get to live in a palapa, and wash your feet in a little tap that is actually a shell! They have made a great commitment to the environment that i find inspiring, and the little eco friendly details are everywhere. The rooms are slightly off the beach to allow the wildlife to thrive, and each morning sitting in my hammock i would count the types of birds landing in the bushes surrounding the palapa. My fav? The discreet delivery of organic coffee and cake every morning at 7:30 through a little window at the back of the room. Delightful.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Ann L
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2017

Dear Ann L,

In my name and in the name of all the staff that works in Xixim, Unique Mayan Hotel, we thank you for such a magnificent review.

I never thought of Xixim as being a Gilligan Island and thank you so much for calling it glamorous. Indeed it is like an island as getting in and out of our resort is not that easy.

Thank you also very much for noticing the eco friendly details and that we really care for the environment. I actually truly thank the Lord for having given me the opportunity to take care of this little piece of paradise.

I hope your path soon brings you back to Xixim, where we would love to pamper you again. Say hello to the Niagara Falls, please.

Wishing you a 2017, full of joy and love,