“Love this place”

Aklan Animal Rescue & Rehabilitation Center
Ranked #3 of 18 things to do in Kalibo
More attraction details
Owner description: Especially if like to see a local animal rescue in action, walk our dogs on the nearby beach, help clean the kennels, pet the cats, play with the kittens, see the happy faces at feeding time. Our staff are more than happy to direct you to splendid, undiscovered sites in the area. For a fee we can even take you there with our AARRC pickup.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 12 February 2017

Stopped by unannounced and was made to feel so welcome. Was showed around the place and fussed the many dogs who had so much energy and enthusiasm. Lots of love around the place and you feel the compassion and care everyone has for every cat and dog.

Was lucky to accompany several dogs on a walk to the beach. Wonderful to see the dogs playing and splashing in the sea. On the walk back the 8 year old son and I noticed 4 new born kittens left beside the road. The boy immediately said 'rescue!' carried the small ones home in his arms. So sad it is unlikely they will survive many days without their mother. Rest in peace little ones. May this place continue to give love and care for many days and years ahead. A highlight of my trip, no doubt at all.

1  Thank Stevieshoes
AklanAnimalRescue, Owner at Aklan Animal Rescue & Rehabilitation Center, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2017

They're still with us, but indeed, their chances aren't that great but we are doing our best. Thx for the donation! Mich.

Reviewed 29 December 2016

Walking in to the beautiful house where the shelter is located was such an emotional experience. As an animal lover it was hard not to burst into tears when I was greeted by dogs big and small, some were limping, some could barely walk, one was completely blind, many had skin problems... But as I met Jean May who runs the place my heart felt elated: she and the team love these dogs and take good care of them.
It was absolutely amazing to see how happy the dogs were and hanging out with them, just petting and cuddling the dogs and taking them to the beach for a run was purely enjoyable.
You will feel so good spending time with these animals it's unlike any other tourist thing in SE Asia.
I'll be back!

1  Thank Jenni S
Reviewed 29 August 2016

If you have time to spare in Kalibo, you may want to spend it volunteering/visiting these beloved dogs and cats. It may be the best part of your vacation!

Reviewed 11 August 2016 via mobile

In the Philippines there seems to be a lot of stray dogs, I was extremely lucky and grateful to visit here. While it is confronting, you can still see the joy and love in the dogs' faces.
I went on a beach walk with a few of the dogs. Brought a huge smile on my face seeing the dogs run freely on the sand.

2  Thank Joanne O
See more reviews
Reviewed 30 May 2016 via mobile

Beaches, waterfalls, caves, diving, and throw in the odd museum. That’s tourism in the Philippines. I needed a break to do a different activity, and lo and behold I see this place listed as a “thing to do” in Kalibo. I just dropped by without an appointment around 5 pm, and the staff was quite happy to let me in and pet the animals and assist them for the dogs’ evening walk. It’s really heartwarming to see that these animals that would normally be put down are getting a second chance. All of the animals there are nonaggressive. Some are friendly, some are shy but there is no need to worry about being bit. I sure do pity the neighbors though as the barking can be quite loud and incessant especially when visitors come. This place is off the beaten path for sure. I would not count on a tricycle driver knowing where this place is at, so be prepared to guide him. There is no entrance fee, but I gave a donation at the end of my visit. More cities in the Philippines need a place like this. Also, the owner of the facility does rent out some of the rooms in the facility. Jenny, the director there, mentioned about the rooms and that they are available online through one of the more popular “bnb” sites.

1  Thank paulino636