Sol Cayo Guillermo
Melia Cayo Guillermo(Cayo Guillermo)
US$192
HotelsClick
IBEROSTAR Mojito(Cayo Coco)
US$120
  • Breakfast included
Valentin Perla Blanca(Cayo Santa Maria)
US$200
US$194
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Sol Cayo Coco(Cayo Coco)(Great Value!)
US$174
  • Breakfast included
Melia Cayo Coco(Cayo Coco)
US$257
US$168
US$145
  • Beachfront
4,230 results
All reviewsmain barfishsnack barpastacubanito bartwo weeksbeach restauranta la cartetoastiesgreat holidaybeautiful beachsand flieschurrossales managerbuffet restaurantentertainment staffthe thomas cook rep
Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Really, I've got to say that I spent a really nice vacation in el Sol Cayo Guillermo! Naturally, not everything can be perfect. I don't want to complain to much because I know it's hard to live through hurricanes, but quite often a bad smell would come up around certain areas of the hotel... Altough, if there's one thing that is simply awesome in this hotel it's the crew!! The people working there are devoted and kind, they really think and act to make you spend a nice week! What I liked the most was defenetly the entertainement team!! Usually I don't participate that much in activities like these, but this time I couldn't resist! I made really good friends with some members of the crew, like Yeisel Ortiz and Jendy Rodrigez, and I already miss them! I really liked to practice my espagnol with these guys! (Thanks again by the way!) The shows were impressive and I want to say a big "Bravo!" to the dancers! So keep up the good work! And I'll probably come again!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank christchaps
Nelido Arsenio C, Director of Sales at Sol Cayo Guillermo, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Dear christchaps,

First of all, thank you very much for taking part of your time to write your comments on tripadvisor. Thank you very much for your lovely words. We will certainly share your remarks with the staff, especially with the ones you have been kind enough to mention by name. Your comments make us feel like we are moving on the right direction to make our hotel even better for your future enjoyment. Great to read that you will provably visit us again and special thanks for recommending us! Please! follow us on facebook Sol Cayo Guillermo – Cuba and send us your booking details and just ring the bell for us to look after another excellent holiday with us.

Nelido Casay / Sales Manager

Reviewed 31 March 2018

Sadly my friend and I only had 3 days at this resort. We were originally at Secrotel Club Cayo Guillermo, and we begged and paid to be transferred to another hotel (DO NOT GO TO SECROTEL!!!)

We felt like we got to heaven once we reached Sol! Reception (Jose) was a breath of fresh air. So polite and friendly, and happy to help! (This is how hotels should be) Jose, all you help with everything was very much appreciated, and to all the other reception staff.

Oh the beach! It was the best beach I've ever seen and been to!!! Sand is soft and beautiful. You do need to claim your lounge chair (we had no problems at 8am-8:45am). They have a tractor that comes to clean and clear away any seaweed that may have come in. The water is clear and amazing!! No sand fleas either! The water was very calm.

Pools: Very nice and clean, but I found them to be a bit too cold, but refreshing as it's HOT there! We had great weather too!! If you can't get a lounge chair by the pool, ask the towel guy. I can't remember his name, but he is great and also friendly and always smiling!

The hotel sprayed every AM and PM for mosquitoes! We really appreciate that!

Buffet: I've never been to Cuba and had good food, BUT I must say my friend and I LOVED the buffet. We had no problems eating. The food was really, really good!!! We didn't bother going to a la carte. Alexander who makes omelettes are super nice and a great cook! Head chef came out to speak to us a few times and we praised him for having such good food! I was really surprised about the food. Drinks always came quick too when you sat down to eat. They had like a shepherds pie one night (OMG SOOOO GOOOOD) the chef put it on the menu the next night so we had a heaping plate.

Drinks were great! Coffee and cappuccinos soooo good!!!! You can purchase Sol beer at the gift shop, and red bull (get the red bull from the bar though), a bit cheaper.

Our room was nice and clean. Housekeeping came everyday. We had clean towels and soap and toilet paper. Our safe worked.

I'd like to thank everyone for making our last 3 days of vacation amazing! Too bad we didn't get to speak our whole 7 here, BUT we will be back!! Thank you Jose, Hector, Alexander, Geycel, Lissett and to everyone. Keep up the great work :

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank MacLang
Nelido Arsenio C, Director of Sales at Sol Cayo Guillermo, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2018

Dear MacLang,

Awww! We also LOVED IT!!! your review. Thank you very much for have taked time to write it and let us know we have been able to met your expectations. Please! keep following us on facebook: Sol Cayo Guillermo - Cuba and let us know your next arrival with your booking details in order to do our best to please you. Hope to see you soon and see you like and comments in our page. Have a great weekend!

Reviewed 31 March 2018

We booked this trip at the last minute because we got a great deal for ourselves and our kids, and we enjoyed it so much, I felt compelled to write a review -- I think it may be my first, although I've been around the forums a bit for various trips.
We got back yesterday and we are already talking about returning next year, that's how much we liked this resort!
We'd read a lot of reviews before booking, so we knew to expect an older, small, simple resort with a really enthusiastic staff and a stellar beach. That is precisely what we found. I'll be more specific in a couple of categories.

FOOD
We arrived mid-afternoon, just as lunch was coming to a close. Our room wasn't quite ready, so the front desk staff encouraged us to hustle to the buffet. To be honest, this didn't give us the best first impression of the resort, because by 3 pm, the buffet is picked over and there are very slim pickings. I think the only fish my husband could find at this point was sardines from the salad bar. (We weren't expecting to make it in time for lunch, so really, this wasn't a big deal, but the takeaway tip for others is: don't leave eating to the end of the dining time block!)

This wasn't our first time visiting Cuba, so we'd come prepared with a travel pack of salt and pepper and a bottle of hot sauce. I highly recommend this tip. For a few bucks at home, you can be assured that you'll always have the familiar taste bump you're used to.

But from the first dinner on, we easily found more than enough tasty food each meal to fill us up, and we never had any food related illnesses over the week (yay!). Favourites were the pasta bar, the white fish, rice and beans, and yuca on the hot buffet, the red cabbage and pickles from the salad bar, and the ice cream and guava pie on the dessert bar. Oh, and the omelettes and crepes in the morning! We didn't find the waits long for any of these stations as long as you were flexible about which you wanted...

We have a very picky 6yo, though, and he really only wanted spaghetti. LOL So that meant that sometimes we did have to wait in that line longer than anyone else in our party, so we learned to go early and take turns standing with him. (We also brought him lots of apple sauce and Bear Paws from home, which really helped when he got tired of scrambled eggs on day 5, but wouldn't try the crepes).

We didn't eat at the a la carte restaurants.

BEACH
Simply gorgeous. Wide, shell-filled sandy beach that gradually gets deeper; in the afternoon you can walk out to a sand bar, in the morning, it's perfect for swimming. The water is stunningly clear, and filled with delicate fish and the occasional crab, incredible to see up close.

There aren't quite enough beach chairs/shade shelters for all the guests, but as we were here with our kids, we didn't care about not finding chairs at the height of the day. We went to the beach twice each day, right after breakfast, and then around four in the afternoon. At those two times, usually not hard to find a chair to put our stuff on; and the few times we went in the middle of the day for a quick swim, we left our towels on our patio and just walked to the beach, because all the rooms are so close it doesn't matter.

ROOM
The rooms are basic, but clean, and they have new sliding doors and cable television. Our air conditioner worked perfectly, and our maid service was consistently good. Don't expect a fancy suite or high-end furniture. The rooms are kind of comparable to staying at a cottage in the Muskokas, except you're in the Caribbean and a perfect turquoise ocean is fifty feet from your patio door.

ENTERTAINMENT
As this was a smaller resort, we didn't expect much for evening entertainment, but we were really surprised at the quality of the shows. The magic show was our favourite, but the dancing, singing, and circus performers were all right behind it. The theatre is delightfully small, with maybe 80 seats, so you don't have to crane your neck to see anything, and the performers are right there. The transition from kids mini-disco to the evening show was smooth, and as a family we felt like all the shows were kid-appropriate but adult-focused, if that makes sense.

KIDS CLUB
Again, it's a small resort, and we didn't know what to expect. Yary in Kids Club was probably our favourite resort employee--she came up to us on the second day and introduced herself, invited the kids to a special event she was planning, and then was a constant in the rest of our trip for our 6yo son. Because it's a small resort, too, we didn't have any worries about the kids playing after dinner as we sat in the bar adjacent to the theatre. Lovely experience.

OVERALL THOUGHTS
At the end of the day, when you drag yourself off the beach and head back to the resort to get ready for dinner, the sand glitters as if it's covered in diamonds--the fading sunlight bouncing off the millions of worn shell pieces in the sand.
That's my favourite lasting memory of the Sol Cayo Guillermo, and it's one I couldn't capture on film. We'll go back next year, because you can't beat the prices at this resort for this kind of beach access and the fantastic entertainment.
As it is Cuba, and an island at the edge of the country at that, you need to be prepared for some supply issues. There was no mint for a few days, so I drank Ron Collins instead of mojitos. Rarely salt on the tables, but we brought our own.
We booked this trip with Sunwing, and the transportation to/from the airport was great. On the way to the resort they had beer on the bus, which was lovely. Our tour guide that day was Violet, and she was really engaging.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Zoe Y

Dear Zoe Y,

THANK YOU very much for your long and lovely comment. WOW! Just by reading the title of your review we get a perfect portrait of your very much enjoyable holiday experience, we are so glad to read it has been such a great time shared with our team! thank you very much to share it with us! we hope you can visit us one more time to enjoy our romantic & magic atmosphere, the one you have found & loved in Sol Cayo Guillermo. Please! follow us on facebook: Sol Cayo Guillermo - Cuba to see our posts. Have a lovely day!

Nelido Casay / Sales Manager

Reviewed 29 March 2018

This was my 11th trip to Cuba and 1st to the Sol Cayo Guillermo. The resort is approx. a 45 min drive from the airport. Check in was a breeze and the front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was great! We had clean towels, toilet paper and water restocked regularly. The beds were firm but comfortable.

To avoid sounding redundant, I will just say now that every single staff member (from the groundskeepers to the bartenders) we met were amazing. I've never met a more wonderful, happy and funny group of people working at a resort. This truly made our stay feel like we were among friends.

The food was decent and I knew what to expect being a regular visitor to Cuba. This resort did not disappoint. Food at the buffet was replenished regularly and we had plenty of options as far as food. If you are picky and cannot live without mayo, ketchup, jam, cheese whiz, etc...bring your own. Nothing worse than having to listen to cranky diners because they expect Canada standards in Cuba and failed to do research and pack their "must haves"

The drinks were very good and I loved that you could get authentic blender drinks and not some rum covered with a colored slush from a slushie machine. I had some of the best pina coladas I've ever had at the Sol.

The beach was breathtaking. It was one of the quietest beaches in Cuba, I've ever been to. I didn't realize how crowded the beached in Varadero were until I came to Cayo Coco. Amazing that we didn't have to zig zag through loungers to get to the water. Beach was clean and tractor went by each morning combing up the seaweed from the nightly tide.

Pool was nice. We did have 2 days where there was algea in 1 pool, but they did clean it and load it with chemicals so it did clear up. not that it was a huge deal, as there are 2 large pools side by side and the algae only affected 1 pool.

Overall, we had a great trip, met many wonderful people including staff and other guests. The only negatives was that the lobby washrooms were experiencing plumbing issues and would be out of commission for a day or two. Again not a big deal as there were other washroom on the other side of the pool. The other negative was some of the guests...you know the ones with Champagne taste on a Beer budget. I heard so many people complaining about the stupidest things (have to make their own toast, not enough English channels on tv, mad that the cleaner couldn't fix the plumbing in the lobby washroom, etc...and yes, these are real complaints). These people came across as very spoiled and entitled and treated staff very poorly. So do your research on Cuba and Cuban resorts. If you expect 5 star go to a Sandals...or stay home.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
3  Thank Shasta911ca

Dear Shasta911ca,

Thank you for have taking time to review your experience. It is good to know your first experience in Cuba was by us and We feel so glad have met your expectations. we really appreciate it. As you have said our potential are staff and beach, they make the difference and they make worth you have spent your holiday, they come true your holiday dreams and our general manager is taking care of every detail to make sure the magic be present every-time. We do hope to see you soon. Have a great day!

With Warmest Regards

Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

1st arrived they put us in a room that was furthest away from everything, bugs on the floors, old and outdated. I expect this from Cuba as it's my 5th time travelling there but 1st time travelling outside of Varadero.
Couldn't open the balcony door as they are all jammed righting shut, NEVER HAD WATER (BOTTLED) drinking water in our room in arrival. Nothing stocked in the fridge, which didn't work anyways. They make you pay for the use of the safe also.
Food- geezzz where do I start! TERRIBLE!!!!! I am not a picky eater at all...i eat about almost anything. The selection on buffet was the same almost everyday.... lunch and dinner. At most you had 8 options. I was sick every single day!! So was my fiance. I complained numerous times to have bottled water delivered and finally on day 3 unannounced someone entered our room at 11pm sneakingly dropping off "water". If you plan on going to a hotel and staying put for the whole 7 days...thats exactly what you'll do, there is nothing around you. The double decker bus tour took us 4hrs to get back to our hotel and we ended up moti9n sickness because of the bad roads and sun.
The plus side is I loved the beaches, Cuba has the nicest in the world. Food-horrible. Bad food handling, dirty cutting boards (beyond dirty). Oily dishes. Straws looked like the were washed and reused.
Pool- DISGUSTING looks like skin particles floating, poorly maintained. Kids pool looked clean though.
Service was a 4 star. Hotel definetly a 2 star. I will never go back.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Crystal P,

Thank you for have taken time to review your experience. It is very appreciated. I am truly sorry for falling short of your expectations. There are always adjustments to be made and your observations and suggestions always help us to do so. Never had water bottled in your room is impossible because we have a system to place them in our room and if the water is not placed in the rooms and you inform it we take a measure with the staff but the bottle goes to your room. Safe deposit box payment is advertised in our web page and also in our agencies web page, it is an information all our agencies know and if it is important for a travel when they ask they will know it in advance. BUffet could be repetitive but there is always a pasta station, fish station and meat station who cook at the moment and you always find something you would llike to eat.If you also ask to the chef an specific food we will do our best to cook it for you. We invite you to come back and change your experience. We do look forward in the hope of being able to welcome you back in the near future and delivering to you the holiday vacation that so many of our guests have experienced and continue to enjoy at the Hotel