“An Excellent Education on Tahitian Pearls from A True Expert!”
Review of Sibani Perles

Sibani Perles
Ranked #1 of 11 Shopping in Vaitape
More attraction details
Owner description: Didier Sibani began his interest in Tahitian Black Pearls working alongside Coco Chaze on the atoll of Manihi in the Tuamotu Archipelago. In 1973, Sibani established himself as one of the pioneers of the Tahitian Pearl Industry. By 2001, the SIBANI Pearls group has grown to 69 boutiques around the world. At the heart of the Polynesian South Pacific, lies our flagship retail store in Vaitape, Bora Bora. We create a local and comfortable atmosphere through our bamboo decor and friendly professional staff, whom are well educated in the history and value of the Tahitian Black Pearls. We pride ourselves in educating our clientele about every bit of the production process concerning the cultured pearl. Our selection includes an overwhelming variety of pearls in all shapes, sizes and grades. Matched with pendants, earrings, and necklaces of silver or gold, we assist our clients to find their unique pearls, to highlight their unique persona. Open from 9am to 6pm Monday through Saturday. Closed Sundays.
Reviewed 17 February 2018

I am going to French Polynesia for the very first time in February 2019 for a cruise holiday and I have decided to buy myself a single loose Tahitian pearl to be set on a leather strand (a popular men's style necklace) and I began doing some research on Tahitian pearls in order to get a good bargain without compromising on the quality of the pearl. When it comes to buying Tahitian pearls, the quality of the pearl is extremely important, but I also do not wish to get ripped off by pearl dealers who inflate their prices.

I started enquiring about the prices of loose Tahitian pearls from a number of pearl retailers in Papeete, Moorea and Bora Bora based on the 5 common properties that every pearl dealer talks about: size, shape, surface quality, colour and lustre(shine). From my conversations with all these pearl dealers via email, the one who impressed me most was Mr. Didier Sibani, the proprietor of this Sibani Perles. From him, I received a detailed and captivating education on Tahitian pearls, from his involvement in the founding of the Tahitian cultured pearl industry over 50 years ago to the latest information regarding the current situation of modern-day pearl farming techniques and the pearl retailing business in French Polynesia. From Mr. Sibani, I learned that there are many Tahitian pearls on the market that have been chemically treated to produce beautiful and attractive colours. The problem with these unnatural-coloured pearls is; their colour fades or changes over time. And those pearls with unnatural colours are sold at very high prices because those dealers will say that those colours are very rare! I also discovered that today, most Tahitian pearl producers follow a period of 18 to 24 months to grow their pearls in their farms. Mr. Sibani, however, follows a production period of 48 to 60 months for his pearls in order to allow the oysters to build a thicker layer of nacre over the grafted nucleus. The layer of nacre of a pearl determines the overall inherrent quality of the pearl. This basically means: the thicker the layer of the nacre is, the better the quality of the pearl.

I am so glad that I wrote to Mr. Sibani, he has taught me so much about the quality and natural colours of Tahitian pearls. I certainly do not want to buy pearls with unnatural colours and I want my pearl to remain beautiful for a lifetime, not just for a few years! Investing in a Tahitian pearl is a huge privilege for those of us who have the good fortune of having the opportunity to visit French Polynesia. If you are an overseas visitor coming to French Polynesia for a holiday and you intend to buy Tahitian pearls as a souvenir for yourself or your loved ones, please do some research on Tahitian pearls and don't get ripped off. Write to pearl dealers like Mr. Sibani to get more information about Tahitian pearls before you arrive in French Polynesia so that you can make a better decision for your purchase.

Didier S, Propriétaire at Sibani Perles, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2018

Dear Guest Ia orana,

Thanks for your nice message on Trip Advisor. As you say your must to be confident with a jewelry seller.
When you buy a jewels in Bora Bora you pay for a beautiful treasure of beauty but also a marvelous souvenir of our life situation in this violent world. In fact you buy a dream and this dream must to continue a very long time. During generations and generations...
We are waiting for you next February.
Best regards

in 4 reviews
"beautiful necklace"

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 February 2018 via mobile

Excellent service and quality of pearls. Most knowledgeable staff. Owner started the pearl farming industry in the islands. Staff spent a lot of time explaining and advising me

Didier S, Propriétaire at Sibani Perles, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2018

1) Dear Guest,
Thank for taking the time to share your experience about our jewelry store. People are busy and their efforts should be acknowledged.
Here’s an example, “I just logged onto my computer and saw your review.
It made my day! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences online.
It means a lot for me because I am one of the few pioneers who believe in the future of the Tahitian Pearls at the end of the 60’.
But also to our staff that you took the time to speak about them. It’s really important for them to read your nice comment.
They give the best to please and explain everything you need to know BEFORE you buy a pearl jewel, and never lie or play with the clients.
For us you are a guest not only a client. You become our reel boss, and for us ”respect” is important.
Also in each tourist place and with this kind of luxury products we really must to be vigilant. So many clients say that they come back because we say the true and our prices are the most corrects.
Thank again.

Reviewed 11 February 2018

We visited a couple of jewelry shops in Vaitape and learned a lot about pearls, how they were made, how they are graded, grown, etc. At Sibani, we were met by Yuriko Sibani who showed my wife and me a number of pearl earrings and pendants. all with a smile and absolutely no pressure. We bought a pendant and earrings. I was so impressed with the quality that when we returned home, I contacted Yuriko through email to see if they had a 3 pearl pendent that I had seen in a magazine. After exchanging a number of pictures and pricing, she had the pendant made specifically for what we wanted. Yuriko took special effort to make sure we were getting exactly what we were looking for.... from 6000 miles away.

Didier S, Propriétaire at Sibani Perles, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2018

Dear Paul,
Thank to share on Trip Advisor your experience in our shop. It's as been a real pleasure for me to make this special necklace. I was so happy to match those three beautiful pearls.
We hope to have the pleasure to see you again and I wish you a happy marriage anniversary.
Best regards
Yuriko.

Reviewed 27 December 2017

We recently visited Bora Bora. I was doing a little window shopping, when Mr. Sibani began to educate me on what to look for when buying a Tahitan black pearl. I was fascinated and was very shocked to learn that Mr. Sibani was one of the original creators of the technique to graft black pearls. He told me the history of how it all began in the late 60's and how he brought the first black pearls to the United States in 1972. His staff was great and took excellent care of me. I would highly recommend shopping for your Tahitian Black Pearls at Sibani Perles.

1  Thank tbakersmilemaker

Thank you for choosing SIBANI Pearls for your purchase and for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visits to our store and that you have a pleasant memory of our talk and services.
Be sure that we will congratulate our employees for their impeccable service.
Your delightful comments are a real source of inspiration for us, with a view to achieving ever-higher standards of excellence.

We thank you for being our host and hope to receive you soon in our establishment.

Yours,

See more reviews
Reviewed 2 December 2017

We first visited Bora Bora in February of 2016 and during the trip ashore I purchased a gray pearl pendant for my wife. With the opportunity to return for another South Pacific cruise my wife expressed an interest in having a pair of earrings to go with the pendant. I believe the young woman who was in the store both visits was Yuriko. She was quite patient, exptemely competent and knowledgable and spent a lot of time in answering questions and pulling out possible pairs for our perusal. She and my wife agreed on a pair and then she make short order of the paper work needed to purchase items duty free. The quality of the pearls and the gold/silver mounts are all excellent. There is no pressure sales pitch, only the intensity appropriate to answer questions and offer suggestions. We would return again if in Bora Bora.

1  Thank Del W
Didier S, Propriétaire at Sibani Perles, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2017

Dear Del,

Thank for your kind compliments, first for choosing us again for purchasing your pearl jewelry and also to share your comments on Trip Advisor. It's a reel satisfaction for us when a guest comeback for a repeat order. That means our quality was perfect and that is our priority.
I do not know anymore how to say thank you because we received so many messages from our guests and, as I want to answer myself by respect, after hundred and hundred messages if you do not want to answer like an automatic answering machine that start to be hard.
Today I will open a little my heart and share my business philosophy with you.
I send that message today personally to you, but that answer can be perfect for all my guests who always compliment us for the quality of our pearls and jewels but also for our prices and for the professional information’s we deliver.
I will try to answer as shorter as possible:
- When my clients ask me why we are so nice and “HONEST”, I always answer, “Because our guests are the real bosses, not me anymore during that moment”.
The time of the communion between the pearl and the woman, and for sure during that time, we must to be 100% with our guest for her Happiness. So beautiful objective and it’s the philosophy inside the Sibani Pearls Group.
From 1969, I wish that the entire woman around the world felt that fabulous pleasure to wear a Tahitian Pearl.
- When in Bora Bora my guests ask me how they will find and choose the right jewel? I can only answer that “You will find it quickly with Yuriko”. She wills exactly shows you the perfect jewel. She is magic for that. It’s her passion.
We love to feel the magic moment when we arrive to mix the “women beauty” and the “the natural beauty of our Tahitian Pearl”.
And as our objective is too see and feel your pleasure and happiness and not thinking about money, we always automatically win.
- When my clients ask me how we do to deliver so beautiful and quality jewels for those prices I answer that is normal for us because the price is depending of the objectives we are looking for.
In the Sibani Pearls Group;
- We produce the pearls
- We design and create our jewelry collections
- We sale our jewels in our shops and during jewelry fairs.
We save margin at each level for giving a magic jewel to all the women for a honest price, a jewel made by nature, the most beautiful jewel for a woman who mixt the beauty and the female fecundity.
And also because pearls are my babies and you my Local or International clients, during the last 48 years you build as I am today.
Thanks again and best regards