“I am longing to go back!”

La Locanda di Pietracupa
Reserve with
La Locanda di Pietracupa is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Tipicita e fantasia si combinano nel ristorante, dove la tradizione toscana si rinnova nello stile della presentazione, dove i piatti sono elaborati per esaltarne i sapori o rivisitati in nuove originali proposte che variano con le stagioni. La cantina e ricca, molto attenta agli ottimi prodotti della regione toscana ma anche ai migliori vini italiani e stranieri. Il tutto da gustare nell'elegante sala interna per l'inverno, o nella quiete rinfrescante della magnifica terrazza con vista sul paese medioevale di San Donato in Poggio.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Funny enough, this place is within 30 minutes from where I live and I ate here because some friends from London invited me!!!
The atmosphere is the one of a country house, floor you would expect to see in the late 19th beginning 20th century, really a cozy place. The veranda overlooks a small garden and the olive groves, what most of us envision like Chianti in the common imaginary.
The service is discrete and professional, food is delicious from the starters to the dessert (rare to find such a tender tagliata meat) and the wine list is quite generous.
I will definitely recommend this place.

Reviewed 28 September 2017

We had rented a villa non troppo lontano da qui. The villa's promotional materials listed several nearby restaurants recommended by previous guests. We were making extensive use of our villa's fecund kitchen, but decided we wanted a night out, and picked La Locanda di Pietracupa, which had a strong recommendation.
Deservedly so, as it turned out.
It was, maybe, a fifteen minute drive from "our" house. We arrived promptly at 7:30, as Mom's usual dinner time is 4:30. 7:30 is normally bedtime.
The neighborhood is rural and quaint, and at this early dinner hour, parking was easy and qui vicino. We found a space just a few meters from the gate.
By the time we were seated and had our drinks on the back patio, the place was moderately full, but never noisy or obtrusive. Come al solito in Tuscany, EVERYONE was friendly and accommodating. I speak some Italian; my parents none, but staff never made 1) me feel like an idiot for speaking terrible Italian, or 2) my parents feel badly for not speaking ANY Italian. Kindness seems to be the rule in Toscana. At least they recognize that it affects the bottom line. Though I prefer the more optimistic perspective.
Weather-wise it was yet another pleasant Tuscan evening - I got so tired of those. (Not.)
The food was spectacular. (Hey folks, you're not at your grandma's McDonald's. If you order risotto, it will be awhile. And if it IS awhile, it will be WORTH IT.) Dad and I had glasses of wine; Mom had Coke Zero. I was (and am) going to be damned, but I wasn't going to tour Italy for a couple weeks, and NOT eat three course meals. (I'm paying for it now, at the gym.) That said, I ate wonderfully that evening:
Antipasto: Carpaccio di mano (stuffed with pesto and burrata)
Primo: Pappardelle con cinghiale (You're in Tuscany. Gotta go for the boar.)
Secondo: Piccione con tartufi (pigeon with truffles - so MANY truffles!)
The photos below are, well, less than one might desire. I HATE taking photos in restaurants, but I had a chef-friend back home whom I had to tick off daily with the beautiful food I was eating. Sometimes, the iPhone focus didn't work so well.
Photo 1: Looks like a dog's breakfast. When it arrived at the table it was sheer perfection. Then I dove in and destroyed it.
Photo 2: I blame the iPhone (though it was probably my fault). Homemade pasta and wild boar. Heaven.
Photo 3: You couldn't see the pigeon for the truffles. (That should be an idiomatic expression for SOME eastern European country.) FYI: There is not a lot of meat on a pigeon. (After two rich courses, I didn't require more meat.) And it, pigeon. is. GAMEY. Almost LIVER-Y. But if you like the Earth, the DIRT, the BLOOD in your food, you'll love it.
Bottom line: Go here.

Reviewed 27 September 2017 via mobile

A lovely sunny day to sit on Locanda's terrace in Tavernelle after a hero tasting of Brunello di Montalcino at Castello Banfi. Appetites were sharpened. First visit here but loving the olive tree-strewn hills of the Chianti Hills; late summer is very dry as the remnants of sangiovese are harvested. Good time for a tour to have the goss on the Tuscan harvest reports. Was early but crops are down quality up and it may match 2015.

Lady chef at La Locanda Carla prepared cod balls; nice semolina and cous cous browned whole grains and sesame.
The pasta came taut in texture, lovely crunch, parrardelle, duck ragu sauce, tomato; warming and delicious; ample serve. Secondi was roasted pidgeon, halves, gamey, not pink, crunchy. And to finish a licorice mousse; real intense and topped off with a licorice drink concentrate!

Wines; 2016 Rose from Radda; sangiovese, canaiolo; just fair, needs freshness; great Gran Selectione from 2014; and Tignanello 2013.

Lunch Score 14

Reviewed 21 September 2017 via mobile

This was a bit of a last minute decision but I was very glad we did. We came for dinner on a Wednesday and without a reservation which was fine. We decided on the degustation 60 euros for 7 courses incl. coffee. Which I thought wasn't too bad. If you're after a big bowl of pasta or a pizza I would try somewhere else. Every course we had was very good. Some interesting flavour combinations and a fairly large wine list. The service was also very good. I would definitely go back. It would be lovely to be able to sit outside and enjoy the view.

1  Thank Heidi6164
Reviewed 12 September 2017

Whilst the food for three of the was ok, the level of service overall was poor. The staff were not attentive they just strolled around and did not make sure the meals were ok? The roasted lamb was overdone and dry. We tried to explain but the waiters did not grasp our discription and we just said ok! The manger said on the way out that we should have spoken to him but he was not there and when he was he was not doing anything else other than telling his staff to smile!

1  Thank bassindalep