“Great View, Poor Food”

Dorothea's Corner
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We chose this restaurant for it's fantastic location, but unfortunately the food didn't mwtch the view.

A warning sign should of been the fact that the waitress was dressed as if she had just come off the beach.

The food was underwhelming, meat was dry, veg was underseasoned and fish was cooked to a mush.

Shame as a little attention to detail could really elevate this well situated restaurant.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

We ate here one night. I had the gyros which was quite nice. My mother ordered the kleftiko which to her surprise came with chips rather than potatoes. We were a bit disappointed by that as otherwise the food was lovely. The service was good too.

1  Thank luckyangel
Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

As mentioned in the review below we didn't read the reviews before visiting and I'm glad as it may of put us off.
The service was a little slow but with such a lovely view it didn't really matter. Food was lovely, grilled feta and anchovies to start followed by kleftiko and a mixed gyros for our mains. Good portions and not bad value for money. Our only complains being the trio of singers coming in then asking for tips off all the customers and also a "deaf" man attempting to sell lighters by putting them on the tables whilst we were trying to eat, of putting and annoying. Also after asking 3 times for the bill and not receiving it evenutally we tracked down a till inside to pay at. Despite this I would visit again.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

We ate here last summer and loved it, so on the 2nd night of this years trip to Sidari we visited here again. The location is fab, right on the beach & they still had the same specials up on the board which made me giggle, especially as i had exactly the same dish as last time. There aren't that many tables and most of them where taken up by one big group, I think they where Greek, so this does fill you with confidence when eating at a restaurant.

We where given 1 menu between the 4 of us, which I thought was odd, but no big thing. We ordered 4 different meals (1 from the childrens menu). It took a while for our order to be taken and the waiter who took our order was also suprised that we had just 1 menu. We had remembered last time that bread automaticallly arrived at your table & as we weren't that hungry didn't order any starters., as we thought we could nibble on the bread. Our drinks came and then after about 10 mins a waiter passed by, looked at our table and then spoke, quiet abrubtly to one of the younger members of staff. Our bread & cutllery then appeared. I guess as they where so busy things do get forgotten about. When our meals arrived the waiter served my elder daughter with something totally different to what she had ordered, he apologised and I did think that maybe we had got the order for another table, bu it seemed not, she did have to wait 10 mins for her meal to be cooked and bought out, which made the rest of us feel guilty about starting our food. The food was, as last year, delicious. We did find the service to have slipped though, my husband had to go up to the bar to ask for the bill as no one seemed to be milling around. It had got much quieter by this stage though with only 2 other tables in use.

It left us feeling a little sad, we had so looked forward to returning to Dorothea's Corner as we had been made to feel so welcome last year (it was the same owner/manager) It is a shame if their reputation suffers though as the food was delicious.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

I must admit, I hadn't read any of the previous reviews before coming here and I'm thankful I hadn't. Great seafront location far enough away from most of the noise of the main strip. Service was quite slow, but being in Greece, this is quite normal and not a personal insult on the diner.

One of the best aspects of this place is its authenticity and its so nice to actually feel like your dining in a Greek Taverna rather than one of the many restaurants that aim themselves at the Brit market. Because of the reviews here most of the diners are Greek, Italian with some Brits giving it a far more cosmopolitan atmosphere than the restaurants on the main strip. All in all good overall value too.

Food wise I had the mixed sea food - calamari, swordfish, sole and a langoustine, all of which were cooked to perfection; it would have been easy to overcook, whilst others had mixed kebabs and gyros. I feel some of the negative comments may have come from the penny pinching holiday maker used to having their food incinerated and ill prepared to embrace Greek timescales when it comes to dining out.

I'd say give it a go and ignore the negative comments. From what is saw of fellow diners everyone appeared to be enjoying their food and this place continues to be a busy authentic Greek Taverna.