“Beautiful Location, Historical Property”
Review of Villa La Massa

Villa La Massa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Candeli
Reviewed 6 September 2017

The countryside of Florence is gorgeous, and this property of the Massa family is everything you want for a quiet getaway. The estate was built in 1550, yet everything is restored and in perfect condition - it is obvious that a lot of effort goes into ensuring the utmost care in maintaining the buildings and facade. Our stay felt as though we were staying in an Italian manor, and it was easy to revert to historical times to imagine what this used to be. Splendid!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
stefan0venturi, Direttore generale at Villa La Massa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2017

Dear Guest,

​Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding your stay at our property, I​ really much appreciated.

Definitely is a pleasure to receive a positive feedback from our Guests and to learn that Villa La Massa ​​is everything you want for a quiet getaway near Florence!

Thank you again for choosing Villa La Massa and sharing your positive experience with us and looking forward to the pleasure of your visit in ​your "Italian Manor,",

​My very best regards,​

Reviewed 24 August 2017

Spent a few days here. Had a lovely suite with great view. The staff are very friendly. Had a great wine tasting experience with Emilio and Antonio. You should try the experience!
The one disappointing thing about the hotel was the meals. They have two restaurants, one a restaurant (with great wine list) and one a bistro. Unfortunately the bistro has always the same menu and it was very boring. With my child we preferred the bistro often so that we could play but it was not enjoyable. They should really review this.
Otherwise all perfect and I strongly recommend this place for anyone visiting Florence instead of staying in the city centre.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
stefan0venturi, Direttore generale at Villa La Massa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2017

Dear Guest,

​Thank you very much for having stayed at Villa La Massa!

​I am​ very glad to read that you have appreciated our ​location​, ​your room accommodation, the wine tasting in our cellar and happy to hear about your nice words of appreciation towards our staff.

To us is very important to receive a straight feedback from our Client’s feeling and experience at our property.

​I have​ also noted your comments regarding the food in the bar area and please rest assured that ​I​ will share your suggestions and comments with our Executive Chef in order to satisfy your expectations your next visit!

​I​ look forward to welcoming you back on the shores of the Arno river in a not to distance future,

Reviewed 22 August 2017

The hotel is in a beautiful setting and surprisingly close to Florence, we even walked to the center (6 km one way), but the hotels shuttle bus is going frequently as an alternative. Nice for walks/bike rides along the river Arno. The restaurant is overlooking the river and has a romantic setting. It has a spacious garden, a relatively small pool and plenty of space to sit or lounge.
The hotel is relatively small in number of rooms. The rooms are split over three floors and the villa is beautifully decorated and furnished. The suite we had was of high standard with all the amenities you would expect in this price range.
It was very quiet in the hotel even in high season which surprised us, but we don’t object to that.
The bar and service is good, prices are quite high, and in some cases you wonder if that is really necessary. You can decide to eat from the bar menu, with relatively basic foods. I ate a Turbot fillet one night for 30 Euros, it didn’t seem fresh at all and was very minimalistic.
The breakfast is of good standard ie in line with what you expect for that price. Our breakfast was included in the rate, but to my surprise, we had to pay +20 euros for three boiled eggs, as it is not part of the buffet. Disappointing.
Complimentary international newspapers are available, but not a lot.
The restaurant serves from a limited menu, and all quite standard recepies. Good food, but a touch boring and again pricy. The wine list and cellar are amazing. A solid selection of exclusive reds, very nice local bubbles and good whites. We had a wonderful winetasting from Emilio, very nice chap, interesting experience, thank you.
The gym is relatively small, but well equipped, for runners you can find your way around the hotel also easily.
The pool was a bit small to my taste, but ok. The garden lounge beds are good, very pleasant.
The staff is very friendly they speak good English and are always helpful.

Overall a lovely place, but they could be much better by showing a bit more Italian hospitality at dinner (where a complimentary digestive is normal, not 15 euro per shot), breakfast, free water wherever you are (not tiny bottles in the room and the rest you have to pay for).

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback of your last visit at Villa La Massa, your comments are very much valued.

I am glad to hear that we are a good combination close to Florence in a relaxing atmosphere at the countryside area.

I was rather surprised to read your considerations regarding our Food & Beverage services since normally I receive very positive feedback. However, I have noted your comments about our Bar and Restaurant and the content had my best attention and rest assured that I will look into this matter with great details in order to improve and deliver an authentic Italian hospitality at all times.

Thank you again for choosing Villa La Massa and I look forward to welcome you and your family back in a not too distant future.

My very best regards,​

Reviewed 19 August 2017 via mobile

This is not so much a hotel as an family country Italian home for a wide group of people. The staff could not be more helpful, the location of the hotel is second to none. The food in the main restaurant is fabulous and the casual dining by the Arno elegant. There are some who come to show off, but it doesn't work; the atmosphere is too friendly for anyone to attempt to be superior for too long.

It is a fantastic, friendly, warm hotel with real five star service and luxury. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
stefan0venturi, Direttore generale at Villa La Massa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for spending your time giving us your kind feedback of your ​stay at Villa La Massa!​

​No words to express my gratitude of your nice words regarding the Hotel staff, our location, food and restaurant.

Thank you​ again​ for being our Guest and for sharing your positive experience and ​I​ look forward to​ see you soon at your Country Italian Home!

​My very best regards,

Reviewed 30 July 2017

What a wonderful place! We came here with our adult daughter and son-in-law and it was truly a highlight of our trip to Italy. The location is idyllic, sitting on the Arno river with views of the Tuscan countryside, yet only 15 minutes from Florence city center. The property runs a shuttle from the hotel to Florence every hour until 7pm and back to the hotel every hour on the 1/2 hour until 7:30pm. Totally convenient.
The welcoming staff was always attentive whether it was Paolo in the morning welcoming us to a bountiful breakfast or Antonello at the bar in the afternoon or evening welcoming us to tea, snacks or drinks. The front desk staff were equally warm, welcoming and attentive, got to know us personally and always attended to every need. Service exceeded expectations in every possible way.
Our room was large, modern and had a beautiful veranda with beautiful views. Bathrooms were large, modern and well appointed. The rooms and entire property were spotless and extremely well maintained. It was very quiet and a wonderful place to relax by the pool or take a treatment at the lovely spa. My husband and son-in-law had a chance to tour the kitchen which was also spotless and though they offer cooking classes, scheduling prevented them from taking one. Nevertheless, they did offer a tour of the kitchen which they enjoyed.
Turndown service was offered every evening with chocolates, it doesn't get better than this. Staying at Villa La Massa was like staying with family in a beautiful country estate. It was a respite from the hustle and bustle of sightseeing yet offered so much convenience to both Florence and the Tuscan countryside. This was our first stay, but it surely won't be our last.

Room Tip: We were in the building with the restaurant. Very quiet. Room 7 was large, with beautiful outdoor ve...
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank Susan F
stefan0venturi, Direttore generale at Villa La Massa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful and detail​ ​review​​ following ​your last visit at Villa La Massa!

​I am very glad to hear that​ our Villa was a highlight of your trip to Italy and you consider a wonderful place to relax in a beautiful country estate.

I will make sure to share your inspiring comments with our Staff which I am sure will motivate them to continue to deliver a professional and "made to measure service" with great attention to details.

Thank you again for sharing with us​ and others Tripadvisor readers ​ your experience and I look forward to welcoming you​ and your family ​in a not to distance future,

My very best regards,

Stefano Venturi

Also consider these accommodations in or near Candeli
4.0 km away
26.4 km away
Castello del Nero Hotel & Spa
Castello del Nero Hotel & Spa
#1 of 4 in Tavarnelle Val di Pesa

Been to Villa La Massa? Share your experiences!