1,598 results
All reviewsfishevery nightst luciamarigot baybotanical gardensrented a carti kaye resortrainy seasonpublic beachcaribbean seagros pitonanse le rayepineappleplunge poolour honeymoonoutdoor showerthe cottages
Reviewed 21 January 2008

From the time we landed in the airport our trip was nothing but first class. The staff knows your name from the first day you walk in until the last. Our accomodations were clean and well kept everyday. Not to mention the phenomenal views from every cabin. This is a great place to get away and have peace and quite. The excursions we went on through Ti Kaye, were great and the tourists were promt and your safety was never in danger. I've never seen such a beautiful place in my life and I would recommend this resort to anyone looking for a great carribean vacation.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bubblejd
Reviewed 18 January 2008

We stayed here for 5 nights at the end of a 2 week trip to St Lucia. the property was pretty much as we expected. We stayed in Cottage Jou Jou (JJ) which is one of the duplex cottages. It has a shared wall with the neighbour but you never heard them and it was lovely. It was a good position as we were up the top of the hill, so not overlooked and could also drive our car right up to the property, so no lugging bags around. The room is very spacious with a bit canopied bed, air con, fan, minibar/fridge, wardrobe with safe and large veranda with table, chairs and double hammock as well as the outdoor shower which was perfect. I am glad we didnt bother upgrading to a higher room type (which i had considered) as this was excellent and was always realy well serviced, clean and thoughtful touches (citronella candles, flowers on bed on arrival, complimentary bottle of watre in fridge, mosquito repellent in bathroom and bug spray). We didnt find bugs to be a problem there or anywhere else in St lucia. If you have travelled to anywhere tropical before, you are just sensible - before dinnertime, as it got dark, we closed the shutters, switched on the air con and fan and tucked in the mosquito net. Really no problems - and there were a few friendly lizards to eat the few mosquitos we saw.

The resort itself has been well done - we are not resort type people. We loathe big hotels, we dont like organised trips/tours and this was the most touristy place we stayed on the island. We hired our car and drove all over the place on the island, hiked to waterfalls where we were the only people there, went quad biking in the rainforest, climbed gros Piton, ate in the market with the locals in Castries, went out in the evening to Soufriere and went to the fish fry - arriving around 10 pm when all the tourist buses had taken the tourists home!

There were parts of this resort that have unfortunately lost its Caribbean flavour - the food is one thing. Too much of it is americanized food (burgers, club sandwiches, french toast at breakfast etc.) and the evening food would be better if there was more choice and some lighter alternatives...many things had heavy sauces, rice or mashed potatoes. They should use more local products and less imports. I also found it a but disconcerting that there was a water menu in the room - why go to St Lucia and insist on Evian or San Pelligrino water. I think that Ti Kaye should pride itself on everything the Caribbean has to offer not be just another westernised place on the beach.If it continues to do this it will lose all its appeal.

Aside from that the service we found a little hit and miss. Everyone was always polite and helpful but sometimes it all feels a bit scripted and there can be a lack of personality. I feel like they have all been told what is European/American hospitality and told to follow it to the letter. As such, it sometimes comes across as a bit fake compared to the exceptional genuine Caribbean characters we met elsewhere. The exceptions to this were Stella in the restaurant who was lovely and Terry on the beach who is a very helpful and friendly. We also found the restaurant lacked any atmosphere in the evenings, although we were glad of the dress code, as I am pretty sure there would have been people in shorts and T-shirts otherwise.

We like to get to know the locals and really experience the culture, so were bit put off by the organised trips on the notice board in reception - I thought that the note there warning people against going places without being on an organised trip is ridiculous and plays on the nerves of inexperienced or nervous holidaymakers. For example we got a rather odd phone call asking why on the friday evening we had not booked in for dinner, or for the trip to the fish fry and I got a very cold response when I explained we were driving ourselves to the fish fry in Anse Le Ray. Honestly, we didnt feel unsafe anywhere ever and people should really explore the island as it has much to offer. We went there and had a great time with the locals.

We also disliked the fact that this was the only place we stayed with everything priced in US dollars. We are not American, nor were we in America - so I dont see why everything isnt priced in the local currency. If I go to America I don't want everything priced for me in £'s or expect to pay in Canadian dollars just because its next door! We got cash out from the machines there, and it is EC$, so we want to see things priced that way.

We also thought that more could have been made of the beach. It is a lovely beach, and there are always enough sunbeds, and the sand is lovely and soft all the way out under the water. terry who looks after the beach was great and very helpful to put umbrellas up and get you drinks. (And I think it is exceptional that he maintains his friendliness when we saw some people treating him in quite a condesending manner or expecting him to do everything for them). We just thought that the beach lacked some facilities - there were a few kayaks which were good and the dive school, but it would have been good to have some other watersports (maybe hobie cats or we saw other places on the island where a boat would go to do water ski-ing one day a week from each beach). We also think that ashtrays should be provided as we saw some smokers (mainly not resident to the hotel) leaving their cigarette butts in the sand. Sadly not thinking of the future of this beautiful place.
The boats coming in and out of the beach have to be mentioned as there are lots of them, and pretty much all day - many are the same companies so come in one after the other, when one leaves another arrives. Sometimes its not too intrusive but sometimes there are 40 or 50 people snorkelling, or the boats playing loud music.

we also had some mix ups with our booking - when we booked they took too much deposit. And it took me about 8 emails to get them to refund the extra they had taken. They said I could have it taken off the bill when I got there, but I wanted it refunded, as they took too much. I was also concerned in case Virgin airlines went on strike, that if they had taken too much deposit it could be a problem trying to get the extra amount back if we had to cancel due to strikes.Eventually after much discussion they refunded the extra they had taken.
Also then when we checked out, we reminded them about our dinner and cocktails the night before as they had not added it to the bill, she then added it on and we signed. A couple of hours later, I was then summoned to the restaurant from the beach, being told that I had to take a phone call from reception as we hadnt paid our bill properly. I found this quite rude - the lady had forgotten again to add on the dinner and drinks. So we had to return (up all the stairs) to the office to rectify it. I felt rather uncomfortable that the other girl who had called me at the beach made it sound as if we had deliberatly not paid something, and it was quite embarassing and inconvenient. When we returned to the office, the lady originally responsible for the mistake apologised for it and was very pleasant.

We really liked the rooms at Ti Kaye and the location and beach. However I think our 5 night stay was enough. We would have got fed up with the superficial service and lack of food choice and restaurant atmosphere if we had stayed longer. I would recommend to move around the island for a longer stay and explore, explore, explore- get out there, hire a car and see it for yourself !!!

4  Thank HMax
Reviewed 18 January 2008

We stayed at TK from Jan4-11 for our honeymoon.

Ti Kaye is under new mgmt as of the first of the year. The new manager isn't very nice but the other people who work there were great.

For us the pros were:
1. The size of the place is great
2. Cottages were cute and I liked the outdoor shower, we stayed in an oceanfront w/ a plunge pool
3. Diving on site, the shop was great
4. Very clean
5. Trip the the fish fry on Friday night
6. Drinks are insanely cheap

The cons were:
1. They changed the breakfast to all buffet- no more hot food to order :( It was still OK but nothing to write home about.
2. The caribbean buffet on Wed night- awful food (low quality) and it cost $15 more than most dinner entrees.
3. Bed linens were in bad shape and felt cheap
4. Bathroom was in bad condition, needs updated and repaired (lots of broken tiles/ cabinets)

The food overall was good. It ranged from fantastic to really average. I think I found things too sweet tasting. Ironically my favorite thing on their menu is the chocolate pudding- which isn't even that sweet! I think the prices, except for the buffett, are very reasonable.

I doubt we would every go back. It was nice but wasn't quite the place that everyone raves about.

4  Thank VicVillageGirl
Reviewed 14 January 2008

Fantastic EcoLodge-Dive Resort!

This is a wonderfully friendly resort with beautiful romantic cabanas that all offer spectacular views of the ocean and the coastline.

The beach is nice with abundant snorkeling but beware the boats from cruise ships and other resorts that can bring as many as 30 new snorkelers at a time.

The quality of the food (excellent seafood) and the selection of the wine cellar is above what you will find at most small EcoLodge resorts. The diving is good with nice healthy reefs and a friendly dive staff but few large fish. Hardcore divers will be bored after more than 3 days of diving.

In addition to diving, we took the trip to hike up the Gros Piton mountain. The views are beautiful (lots of rainbows) but this is a very strenuous activity for those who are in good shape.

Finally, the entire staff from the hotel manager to the bartenders are very friendly and really work hard to make your stay a wonderful experience.

Absolutely Fantastic!

• Stayed: December 2007
7  Thank ________
Reviewed 14 January 2008

It is a pity that, a hotel that has so much going for it, also has so many major shortcomings. To start with, the location is spectacular: the village’s accommodations and cottages are built on a cliff overlooking Anse Cochon, one of the most beautiful beaches on St Lucia, accessible via a steep staircase. Then there is the staff, which is lovely. Finally, the accommodations are spacious, comfortable, and private, although there is a caveat here: the shutters do not close hermetically, which sounds very romantic. Think again! Mosquitoes. Tons of them. Feasting on you. All night.

Unfortunately, there is much more that is very wrong. For a start, the food is unacceptable: it was only half in jest that I remarked that the best Caribbean meal we had was on the flight back to the US. It came as a great disappointment to find out that the same hotel that has a dress code for its main restaurant (no shorts, no caps, no tank tops, no flip-flops) would serve canned beans and canned mushrooms at breakfast. Given that the hotel is isolated and one is a captive audience (something the hotel actively encourages by, on the one hand, charging exorbitant amounts for its water taxi service -- $70 for two to go to Castries and back, about 4 miles away—and explicitly warning against using anything but hotel-sponsored transportation and tours), this can be a major problem. At dinner, where it is very hard to stay under $100 for two, one would expect better than the same instant mashed potatoes topped by poached catch of the day, posing as Caribbean cuisine, night after night. I had far better food at an all-inclusive resort in Punta Cana at a fraction of the cost. Unless one is on a vegetable-free diet, it is hard to appreciate the tiny portions of canned or wilted vegetables with dinner; after ten days, we came back with voracious appetites for anything green. I will be charitable enough not to write about the New Year’s Eve dinner.

For an island which derives 50% of its GDP from tourism, I expected actions to show its hospitality, not merely words. I find it peculiar that after spending well over the GDP per capita of $4,986 on our stay at Ti Kaye, I am warned in writing against unscrupulous taxi drivers at Hewanorra Airport, then charged $65 for airport pick-up in a shared shuttle bus where we had to wait one hour for our co-passengers. Last time I checked, a shuttle bus from Manhattan to JFK was $20, and no waiting, thank you. Has anyone at Ti Kaye ever thought of complimentary airport pick-ups, like those offered in Mykonos (Greece), admittedly a far more sophisticated, if cheaper, destination? When I expressed this complaint at check-out, I was met with silence and another $65 charged for the shared shuttle bus ride back to Hewanorra.

Reading the reviews when we were making up our minds about holiday travel plans, there was much praise. Now, I don’t know what my fellow Tripadvisor members were thinking (or, with all due respect, smoking!).

13  Thank EANYC