“Birthday celebration”

Cuisines: Seafood, Pub, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Reviewed 12 July 2018

A party of 10 visitors on 7th July. Staff looked after us well, courteous, nothing too much trouble. Food was fantastic, highly recommend it. We will be back.

Dave D, Owner at The King & Queen Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and thank you for your great feedback in relation to both the food and the service - hope to see you again on future visits.

Reviewed 12 July 2018

Went here for lunch on our way from Belgium to Devon. It's a lovely looking pub in quaint East Malling. The interior is traditional. One problem is that all the tables are way too close together. Service is very efficient. My home-made burger was good, if a bit over-cooked. My wife opted for a baked potato with a cauliflower cheese side (yes, I know, a weird combo!). The baked potato was overcooked in places. Sign of having been zapped twice in the microwave. Her cauliflower cheese was awful. There was hardly any "cheese sauce", and the little that was there was not a cheese sauce but a tiny drop of melted cheese. It was really quite unappetising. All, in all, not worth the detour we took.

Apologies that we didn't meet your expectations on this visit - I do hope that you will visit us again next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 10 July 2018

I booked the King and Queen for a big family meal for Fathers Day and it couldn't have been better. There were 30 of us including 2 babies, a toddler and a child so we had the whole side room to ourselves. We had pre-ordered food and the owners were very helpful in the run up to it with accommodating dietary requirements and advising on the menu. On the day they were very organised - they gave us time to settle, took drink orders and then all food orders were correct and the food delicious. Paying with a big group is normally a headache but this was done with ease. Couldn't have been a better experience and our family who were visiting from all over the country also really enjoyed it - so can't recommend them enough

Thank you so much for the great feedback within your review and naturally for recommending us to others - really pleased that your family meal on Fathers day was enjoyed by all and that we looked after you so well - look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Reviewed 9 July 2018 via mobile

We pre-booked our lunch as we had another appointment.

The meal arrived immediately as per our request. The macaroni cheese is mouth watering and full of taste. My friends had ham, egg and chips. The ham was off the bone and substantial in quantity and quality. The eggs were sunny, runny and brilliantly yellow.

The staff were very professional, courteous and attentive. Nothing was too much trouble.

We returned later in the day for another drink because we found the atmosphere so enjoyable.

Delighted that you enjoyed your lunch with us and indeed a drink on your return later in the day. Thank you for your feedback - Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 1 July 2018 via mobile

Visited the King & Queen for lunch and a few beers in the lovely beer garden, it’s a place we have fond memories of but not visited for a couple of years.
Beer was good with various choices to please any pallet.
Food on the other hand was a bit disappointing.
I chose the steak and kidney pudding which had the option of new potatoes or chips, I chose chips.
The menu hasn’t changed much for years so I was expecting the accompanying veg to go with my choice.
I was served up a bought in pudding chips and a pot of gravy on half the plate.
After a short time I asked if the veg was on the way but was told that was it. Good job I didn’t choose new pots it would have looked ridiculous!
I appreciate food costs money but this cost saving measure just leaves customers disappointed.
If I wanted pie or pudding and chips I would have gone to a chippy and saved myself a lot of money. I wanted a meal that was pleasant to the eye and pallet not just half a plate of brown.
You can do better, serve up a proper balanced meal or at least let the customer know they might need a side order of veg or salad to adjust the balance of the meal.

Dave D, Owner at The King & Queen Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2018

Hi "smudge 3564" - I thought that I recognised your alias - the last time you visited was 2 years ago and you ended your review with...

"Don't be over presumptuous King and Queen are you a pub or restaurant! We won't be going back in the future".

Apologies that you didn't enjoy yourselves again, but thank you for trying!