“Amazing if you are not expecting luxury but loving the quiet and natural island setting.”

Medhufushi Island Resort
Reviewed 27 November 2017

First Maldives experience and loving it.

Yes you have probably read all the horrible things below and the seaweed washed up the shore. Some of those comments must be from crazy jet setter expecting 5000usd per night lux standard when they paid only 300usd? Not sure what the rants are but if you read all the 1-2 stars review of exaggerated horrible things about this resort, like I read after making booking but before arrival, just chill. Ok. Serious.

Firstly we had a great experience of seaplane transfer from hulhumale and the departure time was given to us the day before informing us in detail of check out time, luggage pick up and seaplane departure. Very well informed. We actually arrived hulhumale at night and they were kind enough to arrange early departure 10:30am the next morning. They even inform our guesthouse at hulhumale which is the coconut hulhuvilla which is an excellent never regret choice. So upon arrival at hulhumale huesthouse the reception there told us that the flight information has been given by medhufushi resort. This ensure us arrival at the island just nice for they lunch buffet and a well day spent there. We were also allowed late checkout free and a late evening flight to Male airport since our male departure is 9:00 at night, ensuring that we had ample time for morning swim and even after lunch snorkel around their reefs.

We stayed on the water villa on the sunrise side which is beautiful. To be honest, I value more of the sunrise side than the sunset side because:
1. The natural breakwater in the horizon with waves crashing onto the far corals is so soothing and zen.
2. Maldives are hot enough already everywhere and sunrise side is very shady in the afternoon. Its the perfect place to rest at the balcony with the swing during hot afternoon. You really want to enjoy the island and photography during sunrise about 6am and during sunset
The villa is a bit aged but I feel its well kept and rustic feel. On our stay the staff actually do periodic maintenance on the swing so the place is well kept. I travelled with young children age 6 & 8 so while our stay is exceptional, I would have chosen the beach villa (sunrise side is good in my opinion) because the kids spend more time at the beach playing sand. It will also save you walking to the restaurant, but thats a minor consideration. When you are in such beautiful island, walking and taking your time is part of the enjoyment.

We brought 3 large bottles of mineral water from home and that proves to be a mistake as it almost cause overweight to our luggage and we had 1 unfinished bottle at the end of the trip. Yes water is expensive but we find 2 free bottles of resort water everyday sufficient for a family of 4 with outdoor activities to be honest. One of the day I even get 2 bottles refilled again by the evening because I had a chat with the housekeeper and made good conversation and that makes a big difference. I tip him a little everyday because he’s just so nice and I think they deserve it even though I have no habit of tipping and I initially have no intention to tip. On the last day when I ran out of usd small notes I just gave Malaysian currency and he accepts equally.

The bathroom and shower is surprisingly kept clean and well maintained given the age of the villa. Im very satisfied. I would not recommend snorkelling around the villa because the current is too high even for adult swimmer like me. You will be dragged towards the sunset villa direction if you enter the water from the sunrise side and it can drag you towards open ocean to the west and Hakura resort if you just let your body float freely. Having said that, we were at room 154 (sunrise side, 3rd villa from the beach) and the steps itself harbour a group of small fishes and soft corals growth under the column of the steps! There was a huge coral rock with marine life too in the villa side. Standing on the balcony we have seen 3 sting rays swam past. I highly recommend snorkelling around the villa during low tide (early morning and late evening) when the water is at shoulder height. Even if the current is strong you can always stand on the seabed. At that time, you can also snorkel at the centre between the sunset and sunrise villas as there are a lot of coral rocks with marine life. By any ranters standards they don’t qualify as “house reefs”, but its good hard corals with fishes for casual snorkelled like me. We even spotted a turtle here.

Om the sunrise side of the island, the seabed is filled with seagrass at the bottom, because its a very shallow and calm water area because of the natural breakwater stopping the waves coming from the ocean. Water depth is about knee height during low tide. This is the place I would recommend to snorkel during high tide when the water reaches waist height (this area generally is very shallow compared to water villa area and the sunset side of the island). The benefit of doing this during high tide is that you can snorkel and not have the seagrass and occasional hard corals brush your body underside which can be eerie. Also during high tide, the natural current will drag you from the sunrise beach side towards the water villa, so you can relax and just snorkel effortlessly starting from the sunrise side (the jetty on sunrise island) and finish at any public stairways at the water villa stilts or the stairways to your own villa. But if you like to snorkel starting and around your water villa, i only recommend during low tide. Its great they have so much patches of seagrass around the water villa and also along the entire sunrise side of the island. It attracts marine life. I saw 5 baby sharks swimming around me at the jetty on the sunrise side. The place with the most fish and corals (again ranters like to say they are not house reef standard which i have to agree but I don’t know why it’s so religiously matters to them so terribly) is between the 2 offshore water bungalows, and between the water bungalows and the spa. There are definitely a lot of corals formations at these places and clusters of “aquarium colourful” fishes hanging around these sporadic clusters. Ive seen blowfish, swordfish, scorpion fish and tons of others that I can not identify. There is nothing to snorkel on the sunset side of the island.

A lot of seagrass gets washed up on the sunset side of the island. And yes I’ve seen them with my own eyes. They are NOT seaweed. They come from other places, because it doesn’t affect the sunrise side. It must be dead seagrass shedding leaves, and accumulated by current and brought to the sunset side shore of Medhufushi which absolutely has nothing to do with the island as they come elsewhere. On our 5 days stay there, there were 2 days where there were 2 surges of seagrass swept onto the shore, covering the entire width of the beach. Initially of course we were disappointed because of the picture perfect postcard of Maldives that we always think about. However, the staff clean up every alternate days, and they are usually gone the next morning. Plus, with the beautiful clear water around the island, the friendly staff and being in a tropical island, you just step on those seaweed, enjoy the swim and enjoy the sun. Nobody really cares, except selfie queens, but then you can get picture perfect Maldives with cropping tool and filter so don’t get workup up with seagrass attacks please. My whole stay has been so enjoyable I see them like part of nature and they will be gone tomorrow morning so no need to ask for refund and the next flight out of Male!

Sand is perfect. They are generally soft to step on on the sunset side, near the pool area and north of it. South of the sunset side however is littered with some trash and plastic bottles and I wish the staff will just clean that up and the entire sunset stretch will be perfect. Further south, sunset side, at the tip of the island before entering the water villa has the most beautiful beach to relax, and a mini island/sand bank that emerges during low tide during early morning and late evening and disappear during high tide. To me is the highlight sand formation of the island, perfect for picture, sunset viewing, swim, stroll and just do nothing. The beach on the sunrise side has a lot of broken corals of mostly small size. They are not so pleasant to step on compared to the sunset side. I also like the beach on the south side of the island near the spa. Having said that, if I stay on beach villa I will personally choose the sunrise side because the villa walks straight into the beach. Similarly sunset side north of the pool area. The sunset side south of the pool area is a huge drop to the beach and plus they are littered with some plastics.

If you are a gym freak like I do who has to train every day, the gym next to the reception has enough free weights and machines to cover all major muscle groups. I took a deload rest week while in Maldives to recover my tired muscles but it was handy that I would work out on one of the day just to get some pump. Don’t bother bringing whey proteins or BCAA. The serve a lot of proteins in the full board there is never shortage of proteins!

The food is just AMAZING. I travel a lot for work, on business class and 5 star hotels worldwide and I do fine dining on the weekend and very conversant in French cuisine. I know what’s Michelin. And to be honest, the food presentation is humble and straight forward but omg it tastes so good. First timer expecting lux buffet spread with caviar and ice carvings with floral bouquet probably are the one ranting in the other posts. Yes they have dedicated table for the entire stay. Some even commented canteen which I find so ridiculous. They must be expecting someone popping champagne for them while being served ala carte food sitting down, and feasting in an aquarium restaurant. These rants are really a matter of expectation and sense of reality. I can say, I ALWAYS look forward for meal time.

If you love south Asian food like Indian and Sri Lankan. Omg perfect place. So much rice and naan and curries and Dhalls to savour. Vegetarians will be delighted. If not there is always a salad bar. Grilled tuna is so good. One night they even have rotating lamb souvlaki kebab. I remembered spinach pie so good. Pizza so good. There is always a station for sushi serving tuna and butterfish. A station for fresh cut fruits where you choose your fruit and they cut on the spot. Love it. One station for desert which is amazing. You can’t have chef cook such delicious food unless they are experienced and 5 star. The only comment about the fruit station is that they always have a bowl of mixed fruits which I suspect could be leftover because they texture is old so I usually make them cut fresh.

The most amazing one is their home made sorbet and ice cream. Every meal is different flavours! Thumbs up.

Drinks will not be served if you are not all inclusive. However for breakfast you can get coffee tea and orange juice on any plans. Plus they also have freshly squeezed juice on the station. Usually yogurt type of mix or smoothies.

All in all a great experience!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank SubangBoy

Reviewed 14 October 2017 via mobile

We just came back from there and had the most wonderful time.
Let’s start from the top: it’s not a 5 stars resort. It’s a solid 4, and as such it’s priced appropriately. The jump to the next level resort will be at least 50% more and I’m not sure the difference is worth it.
The resort is situated on its own sandy little island which you get to by a sea plane from Male and takes 40 minutes.
The grounds are well kept as are the main facilities but the rooms are in need of a refurbishment- this is not to say they are run down (they are actually very nice and convenient), but can use a brush up. We highly recommend taking the water villas. It’s part of the Maldives experience and the fact that you can hop into the crystal water from your balcony makes it memorable. The water and beaches are lovely but be aware there are plenty of sea weeds which tend to set adrift on the shores (though staff is doing their best to clean it up).
The food was fantastic to our taste - extensive variety with emphasis for Indian type cuisines (lots of curry). The lunch and dinner deserts are especially delicious.
We found the staff very courteous and pleasant though the management’s attitude towards “the guest is always right” is somewhat fuzzy... :-)
ONE LAST WORD OF ADVICE: do take the all inclusive package. It’s worth it. Remember you’re on a desolated island with nowhere else to shop for food and drinks thus completely dependent on the resort’s excessive fees. Thus making the all inclusive generous package worth while - especially as it includes 2 free excursions.
Bottom line - we highly recommend this resort!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Ihateairport
AAA R, Digital Marketing Executive at Medhufushi Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our property, your comments are very much valued and we will take necessary actions to maintain the standard as you highlighted in your review as you mentioned we are 4 start category resort but we are always there to provide the best service to our guests with unique experience. We really appreciate your comments. Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Medhufushi

Reviewed 3 October 2017

We went for a family holiday but had a terrible experience. The management has no hospitality knowledge and is extremely Rude and Arrogant.

Problems faced with the Hotel Management and Staff:
1. The Senior and Front Office Staff answers to all resorted related questions are very vague.
2. The Front Office Staff and Concierge (Extrusion) Staff didn’t value the importance of guests’ timings and schedules. They claimed to understand English well but conveyed wrong timings to us for a special excursion. This was inspite of us confirming the timing with them for 3 times. We missed our excursions because of this.
3. The Front Office Manager was always busy whenever we wanted to speak to him. Once he gave us an appointment to meet him at 9 pm, when we reached Front Office to meet him as per his given time, the front office staff told us that the manager has gone for a shower. Was he the guest or were we the guests? He didn’t respect the time he had given to us. The Front Office Manager drank, danced, played snooker along with guests and thought that was hospitability but forgot to get involved when we faced end number of problems with the resorts external agencies for excursions
4. It’s very important that food is good especially when all 3 meals are to be had at the resort. At Medhufushi the food was very bad. It was a struggle to find items which tasted good from the buffet spread. And for vegetarians there were hardly any options.

Excursions and Water Activites are one of the main reasons to visit Maldives. But at the resort there is lack of activities compared to other resorts and the 3rd party agencies hired by the resort was horrible. We faced the following issues with them:
1. The Water Sports Center had only 1 person handling the bookings as well as take guests for water sports. Anytime we would call or visit the water sports center to make booking there was no one present for bookings.
2. A German company runs the Diving Center. The German Manager and the Staff of the Diving Center was extremely racist and didn’t care about being hospitable. The German Manager didn’t bother to get involved when we had issues while booking Scuba Diving. The Manager didn’t even have the courtesy to apologize for his staffs’ racist behaviour.

Would we recommend this property to anyone? No ways. There are many good properties in Maldives where they understand the meaning of hospitality and tourism. Medhufushi was a waste of Money.

Stayed: August 2017
14  Thank Dhruti S
Reviewed 1 October 2017

My stay at Medhufushi Resort was very relaxing and enjoyable.
the staff made me feel very welcome and I had a water villa which was exceptional the views of the sunset every evening was breathtaking.
I would definitely be back and would recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: water villa facing sunset
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
AAA R, Digital Marketing Executive at Medhufushi Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. Hope you had an awesome experience in Mudhufushi Island Resort. We really appreciate your comments. Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Medhufushi.

Reviewed 29 September 2017

we took a double family beach villa . it was excellent! clean, on the beach, a pleasure.... i would not reccomend the water villas, as on the reflux hours, all the island guest are there to see the animals and fish, and is quite noisy.... beside, the water villas are kind of crowded.... i advise to take the full board program when you book, otherwise it will cost you lot of money.... everything is extra, including water.... you get one bottle per room per day "complimentary" and the rest ----which you have to drink----is quite expensive.... this was the really dissapointed thing.... like, what? to pay for water when you go to dinner, which is already paid? food was acceptable.... buffet, and kind of ok.... do not expect for a gourmet restaurant, is more the cantina style, still is ok. everyone will find something nice to eat----but not a cullinary experience. i reccomend to take the free boat to snorkling every day, and also the dolphins tour and the 2 islands tour. we will return---no doubt----as it was one of the best vacations we had.

Room Tip: beach vila, numbers 218 till 230
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family

Dear Kim,

Thank you very much for sharing your travel experience you had with Medhufushi Island Resort with others here on Trip advisor we really appreciate your comments and feedback. Hope you had a wonderful vacation in our Island. We are really happy and looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.

Been to Medhufushi Island Resort? Share your experiences!