The Residence Maldives(Falhumaafushi)
US$455
US$415
US$349
  • Pool
Outrigger Konotta Maldives Resort(South Huvadhoo (Gaafu Dhaalu) Atoll)
US$629
US$539
  • Breakfast included
Amari Havodda Maldives(South Huvadhoo (Gaafu Dhaalu) Atoll)
US$581
US$486
US$702
AccorHotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Pearl Beach View(North Huvadhu (Gaafa Alifu) Atoll)
US$55
Island Guest(Maamendhoo)
US$34
All reviewspool villaour honeymoonfishhouse touroutdoor showerthe general managerboat ridereef sharksdomestic flightremote islandremote locationmain beachtunascuba divingoverwater villadining roommale airport
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 April 2015

If I could write 99 5 star reviews for each 1 star out there, the rating on this hotel would more accurately reflect the experience. Every detail from arrival to departure was handled with the utmost level of professionalism and care. The staff is wonderful and welcoming without feeling overly saccharine or pushing you on additional services like romantic cruises and starlight dinners. We spent the week snorkeling, kayaking, relaxing and eating and had a tremendously fulfilling trip. The house reef is teeming with life and beauty and can be seen well from both kayak (on a calm day) and by tootling around on a snorkel. Diving is not necessary to absorb the wonderful sea life here.

The rooms are fantastic. We stayed in a pool villa which was immaculate. Wonderfully designed with beautiful ocean beach views without compromising on privacy. The pool is a really nice extra though probably not a necessity given the outdoor shower and soaking tub in the back. I've never had such a lovely shower. We received a status based upgrade, so its hard for me to evaluate the true worth. A few reviews here complain about bugs. They seem to exaggerate the issue but there were quite a few ants around. Not sure what the hotel could do about this, but if you tend to freak out about that sort of thing you might opt for an overwater villa. One other thing to keep in mind, and its been mentioned here a few times, but i guess the overwaters bake in the sun all day so when its really hot the aircon cant quite keep up and a friend of ours said the villa got pretty hot at midday but tended to cool off by dusk.

The food was a really pleasant surprise. I'd heard horror stories about the Maldives generally, but we found pricing to be no worse then London or New York. Once you consider the cost and effort required to operate a kitchen that far from civilization, the prices seemed like a downright bargain. Frugality probably isn't your thing if you are vacationing here, but if you plan appropriately by having a late breakfast, bringing some nice afternoon snacks, and then going for a big dinner (we had the whole grilled reef fish for--70+--from the island grill or on room service--36+ for a smaller portion--on multiple occasions) you can get away with spending 50pp each day. Though, you've traveled so for so you might as well just relax and eat and drink what you like when you like.

What more is there to say? Food, people, activities, facilities and room were all unparalleled in my admittedly limited beach vacation experience. Ohh, and if you can order an old fashioned from Rusiru. Who would have thought a nice Sri Lankan at the hotel bar in the Maldives would make one of the best I've had?

Thanks to all the staff!

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Thecritical
GM_Park_Hyatt, General Manager at Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2015

Dear Thecritical,

Thank you so very much for your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay with us.
We are always happy to hear that our team was a big part of our guest’s satisfaction with our resort and it certainly encourage us to keep working on improving the service levels.
We are lucky enough to have one of the most amazing house reefs in the world and some of the best sunsets that you would ever witness, but we are always happier to hear that our team was a big part of our guest’s satisfaction with our resort and it certainly encourage us to keep working on improving the service levels.

I'll have an 'Old Fashioned a la Rusiru" tonight itself and rest assured that we will share your compliments with the entire team in appreciation of Rusiru’s passion for his trade/art.

Thank you once gain for your lovely review and we look forward to welcome you back to our little paradise any time soon.

Reviewed 13 April 2015

My husband and I were meant to visit the Park Hyatt Maldives for our honeymoon in February 2012, but due to the coup and subsequent travel warning, we decided to cancel. Three years later, we decided to celebrate our three year wedding anniversary with six days at this amazing hotel. You can imagine the weight of expectations, having literally been dreaming of being in the Maldives for years - and I am happy to say that our trip here did not disappoint!

We opted to stay in an over-water villa (a tick off my bucket list), and we absolutely loved the design of the villa. You can step straight into the crystal waters from your deck. Some people might be disappointed that there is not private "dipping pool" attached to the over-water villas but when you have the choice of swimming in the coral reef versus a little pool - the ocean wins. We didn't even use the hotel's main pool once (except for when we did our diving initiation)! The rooms are an ample 110 sqm and have everything you need (including excellent air conditioning and privacy).

The food was something we were initially wary of, having heard of the questionable quality and exorbitant prices. I am glad to report that these fears were unfounded because the meals were fantastic overall. I preferred the variety and overall quality at the main Dining Room and the Pool Bar to the more talked about Island Grill, but all three places are worth trying on your visit.

The activities at the Park Hyatt were the absolute highlight. I would highly recommend planning your entire activity schedule on your first day so you won't be disappointed (bookings are on a first come first serve basis and do fill up), and it also means you can relaxed for the rest of the trip. We tried the guided snorkel, the night guided snorkel, the reef exploration trip, the lucky dolphin cruise, traditional Maldivian fishing and two Discovery scuba dives.

On our snorkelling trip we spotted one of the two resident hawksbill turtles, on the reef exploration trip we saw a spotted eagle ray and several green sea turtles, on our night snorkel we saw a lion fish and while diving we saw a pufferfish. There is so much variety and the coral reef is so spectacular that you could easily spend the entire trip snorkelling every day. In retrospect, the only trip I wish we hadn't done was the lucky dolphin cruise (because we didn't see any dolphins and it ended up being a very expensive boat ride).

We tried the spa once during our stay and it was really good! For the ladies, I would highly recommend the "Rolling Ocean" massage, which is soothing and relaxing (no pointy elbows here - just the palms).

Overall, this is one of the best Hyatt properties that we have visited and all the more worthwhile if you are a Hyatt Diamond Member. Some of the perks include champagne and fruit on arrival, complimentary daily breakfast, and complimentary daily canapes and cocktails between 5 and 7pm.

For more details and photos of the rooms and dining options, check out my blog post here: http://www.lifestylelookbook.com/2015/04/review-of-park-hyatt-maldives-accommodation-and-dining.html

For more details and photos of the activities and spa, check out my blog post on the top 5 things to do here: http://www.lifestylelookbook.com/2015/04/top-5-things-to-do-at-park-hyatt-maldives.html

Room Tip: We stayed in Villa 40 (over-water villa). The advantage of this villa is that you can swim in the coral reef high or low tide (the coral reefs are not as clustered or big as those around Villas 46 and 47), and it is closer to walk to the Dive Centre and Dining Room.
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LSlookbook
GM_Park_Hyatt, General Manager at Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2015

Dear LSlookbook,
Thank you so much for your very detailed review! We are always very happy to read that we managed to exceed our guest’s justifiably high expectations. A 3 years wait for a trip to our resort it is certainly a lot of time to generate them!

I am so sorry that you didn’t manage to see any dolphin on the aptly called “lucky dolphin cruise” but I am guessing that the turtles, lion fish, eagle ray, puffer fish, and the amazing coral did the needful in showing what the beautiful underwater world of Hadahaa has to offer.

I remain at your disposal for any assistance that you may need and we hope to be able to welcome you back to Park Hyatt Maldives any time soon.

Reviewed 12 April 2015

I reiterate most other reviews by saying the transfer is long and after an already long flight it's extremely tiring. The flight from Hoodoo island was ok, a little hot on board but you expect that. The boat ride started ok, until the engines for clogged and we just started bobbing about in the middle of the ocean at dusk! The staff managed to get one engine going and we limped to the Hyatt.
The resort is beautiful however! You have to not mind bugs in your villa! We had gheko's and ants despite the staff 'spraying' the room several times the bugs remained! Like a couple of other reviews we didn't use the outdoor bath/shower due to the amount of bugs.
The reef is lovely and we did so,e fantastic snorkelling, and managed to swim with reef sharks.
Staff are lovely and very helpful.
As a whole it's a lovely relaxing island but let down by the standard of villas.
Although I enjoyed it, I wouldn't go back due to the transfer and amount of bugs.

Room Tip: Ask for a villa with a bigger part of the beach in front
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Lisa M

Dear Lisa M,

Thank you very much for your comments regarding your recent stay at Park Hyatt Maldives. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced during your arrival in regards to the engine malfunction in one of our speedboat. We have a scheduled maintenance for all of our boats, as well as contingencies system in place for those occasions were the issues cannot be foreseen.

I am really happy to read that our team was helpful, courteous and managed to assist you in relaxing in our little island.
We understand that our location requires a longer transfer that what you would expect within your arrival to the Maldives, and rest assured that we are constantly looking at alternatives that could make the journey more pleasant. This remoteness is what in part allows us to have one of the healthiest coral reefs in the world, been able to appreciate the northern and southern constellations and provide a sense of relax that many of our guests sought after while choosing our resort.

I would like to thank you once again for your lovely comments toward our team as it is the best motivation that we can ever receive from our guests.

Do not hesitate to let me know if I can be of any further assistance

Reviewed 10 April 2015

There is a lot to love about this hotel, and this island. The setting is idyllic and you feel like you are sharing it with only a dozen or so people because you really only see others at meal times. The villas themselves are large, well-appointed and not as dated as some users seem to be making out. The food is great, and generous enough that if you wanted to skip lunch, you could. For anyone who lives in London and is used to dining out, the prices aren't unreasonable. There is a nice assortment of activities available. We went on the Lucky Dolphin excursion and saw hundreds of them, with a boat all to ourselves. It was magical and the crew were great. We also went for the beach barbecue - which is not to be missed. All you can eat steak, lobster, king prawns, etc. Absolutely worth the money and then some. Service is good. Some people have said they only saw the management when they arrived and left. I don't know if it's because there is some special treatment for diamond members, but we saw the manager several times, and he remembered our planned activities and asked us about them. We also saw other members of the management team frequently, often at mealtimes or during the daily Sundowners event at the bar. I say the service is 'good' because it is a shade over-done. I stay at Park Hyatts frequently and spend more than half the year living in one (the Park Hyatt in Moscow), and what generally separates them from other 5* hotels is that the service is impeccable and understated. It's not showy, it isn't loud and it doesn't make you feel uncomfortable, but it's consistent and you always feel like a valued gust. You do feel that at the Park Hyatt Hadahaa, but it's not by any means discreet, and for some people having a whole crew of hotel employees waving at you for 10 minutes as you arrive and leave the hotel feels a bit like "trying too hard". This hotel could really dial it back because it isn't necessary. There's plenty to love about the island, and of course the house reef is spectacular (go to the arrival jetty for the best snorkeling).

A big question I had before booking was 'park villa vs. water villa' and there were a lot of reviews on here that said "they're both great in different ways, so it's hard to choose". I found that to be 100% true, but that's not very helpful for other Tripadvisor readers, so I'll do my best to elaborate, since my family booked one of each. Both rooms were upgraded on arrival (another big plus and possibly another diamond member perk), so the comparison will be a pool villa vs. a sunset water villa.

The pool villa is (or at least feels) larger than the water villa. It is well laid out and has everything you could want. The bathroom is larger and has both an indoor and outdoor section. You can shower inside or you can shower or take a bath in the outside section - which is enclosed and cannot be overlooked. That said, you may not want to use it (I didn't!) because of the plethora of bugs and in particular lizards that frequent the outdoor space. Our villa also had a lot of ants out there that made it rather unappealing. The bug issue also extends inside. I found a dead cockroach near the sliding door one day. The pool is nice though, bug-free (somehow!) and bigger than expected. It's fairly private, though that depends on how much shrubbery you have between your villa and your neighbours'. There were too many ants out there for us to sit on the loungers, but they are nice to have, especially the ones on the beach. I didn't think we would use the pool but it turned out to be a nice place to relax in a shaded area when you need a rest from the scorching sun (I got sunburned in one hour on the first day or snorkeling). The claims that a land villa gives you your own stretch of beach are kind of stretching the truth. You have a path that leads down to the beach. If you're lucky, you'll be on the part of the island that has a fair amount of beach in front of the villas. If you're not (we weren't), you will have just a few feet of beach that disappears in high tide. Still, we got a pool so I certainly can't complain.

The water villa is a different kettle of fish entirely. The room feels a little smaller and the bathroom doesn't have the grandeur of the indoor/outdoor vibe in the pool villa but it does have a bathtub that is literally on the water and looking out to the ocean and big enough to fit 3 or 4 people in it if you were so inclined. There is also a huge lounger on the deck that is wonderful to sit on in the early morning or evening. You can see fish, sharks, etc. even from there, and at night we saw small amounts of phytoplankton as well (best soon when there is no moon). The good thing about the water villas is that there aren't any bugs over there, so no lizard issues or any ants/cockroaches, etc. You can access the reef directly from your villa via some stairs leading down into the water, but for those who are concerned about protecting their modesty, be warned that you can be seen from the main gangway no matter which villa you choose (except possibly the very last one). But in any case, the villa is gorgeous, the sunsets magnificent and the colour of the water (which changes every hour) sublime.

Walking around the island if you have to get from one villa to another can be a bit of a chore in the hot sun (no more than 20 minutes walk but in that heat 20 minutes can feel like an hour) - but there are buggies at guests' disposal and you can call for one whenever you need it.

We had some issues getting to the island, and for that I've knocked off one star. We arrived and were supposed to have a 3 hour wait in Male before our connection. However when we arrived, we were ushered straight onto the domestic plane and were told that our luggage would follow shortly afterwards. While we had thought to do some sort of excursion in Male to while away the time, we were more than happy to get to the resort early, so we thought this was great. And as long of a trip as it seems, the domestic flight is well worth it for the stunning aerial views alone and the speedboat is a lot of fun, so I wouldn't worry about those. However, when we arrived (in the early afternoon) we were told that actually our luggage would not arrive until the following morning. We had travelled a long way to get there and had to manage without all of our toiletries, pajamas, changes of clothes, etc. until the next day, which was quite disconcerting because if we'd been told how long our luggage was going to take then we would have opted to stay in Male for longer and arrive with our things. We suspect that we were the only 4 people going on that flight and so the airline decided to cancel the flight and make us go early. Schedules are very ad hoc in Maldives that way, and can change at the airline's whim and fancy. Anyway, the hotel wasn't really too apologetic about their staff having effectively made the error in the first place of not giving us an option of what to do at the airport, but after a couple of calls they did send us a few amenities to make us more comfortable and comped our dinner. It was, I'm sure, unforeseen for them - but at the Park Hyatt in Moscow these things would have happened automatically and without my having to ask.

So that's about it for the review. An amazing place, highly recommend. If I had to choose again, I would go for a water villa - for the view and the lack of lizards. If like me you used points then it is worth it to throw down the extra cash for the upgrade. However, I wouldn't stay at this hotel if I was paying with money rather than points. In that instance. From what I have heard and read, you can probably get a little bit more for this kind of money elsewhere in the Maldives. Still, a lovely trip and a very relaxing few days. Finally, a special mention for the bread and red pepper dip at the Island Grill. Addictive!

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
7  Thank businss_travell3r
GM_Park_Hyatt, General Manager at Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2015

Dear businss_travell3r,

Thank you so very much for amazing review and the very useful feedback. It certainly carries a special weight coming from someone that has lived at one of our iconic properties for more than 6 months.

I am aware of the incident during your arrival and I completely understand your frustration in this regard. It was definitely well intended, but not executed as it should have been. Please accept my most sincere apologies for the inconvenience that this has generated.
As you have been a loyal supporter of the Park Hyatt, we hope that you will return to stay with us the next time you visit Maldives. Rest assured that a special welcome amenity of Bread and Red Pepper dip will be waiting for you at Villa!

I remain at your disposal for any further assistance that I may be able to provide

Reviewed 7 April 2015

Pros:
1. Excellent food. Wide variety, high quality, great presentation and great taste. Especially surprising considering that this is a remote island. 10 out of 10 on the food.

2.) Great design and layout of the property. The beach villa was large, contemporary and had a great indoor and outdoor bathroom. 10 out of 10 on the room.

3.) Terrific house reef for snorkeling. Great dive center with free use of snorkel gear and high quality dive equipment.

4.) Very helpful and accommodating staff.

Cons:
1.) The staff is very nice and helpful. That said, many of them at the restaurant and bar hover way too much. In a single dinner it is likely that two or three managers will visit your table 3 to 5 times to insure that all is satisfactory. It is well intended but too much. Better too much than not enough though.

2.) While the hotel is stunningly beautiful, there are a couple significant drawbacks to the mood that is created. There is no music at the pool or the bar. The hotel needs to pipe in some cool music. It would help to create some healthy energy. Also, there is a thick wall of vegetation that separates the bar and part of the restaurant from viewing the beach and sunset. This aspect is mind boggling to me how they let this exist. It should be completely removed so guests can enjoy the view.

3.) While the food is excellent, they should provide more options for snacks in the mini bar. If you are between meals, you are mostly out of luck for small food options.

4. The gym is small and only has few cardio machines. This is somewhat understandable because there are only 51 rooms, and it is so hot and humid at the equator that it is hard to find the energy to hit a gym.

Conclusion:
If you are considering a visit to the Maldives, I don't think you can go wrong with this hotel. Viewers must be aware that the hotel is a tiny island sovereign and that all you get is a great reef, a great beach, a great room, a great dive center and great food. There are no other activities readily available, except that there is a spa, which we did not use. Food prices for appetizers and desserts are very high, but not unreasonable for entrees. Appetizers and desserts were in the $20 to $28 range (all soups $22), and Entrees were mostly in the $30 to $45 range and were always a healthy portion. Yes they charge for water at the restaurant but it is not as bad as some make it out to be. Specifically, it is $8 for a 1000 ml bottle. Cocktails were $14 which was not bad and is the same as any nice city hotel. I have no regrets about our stay and would definitely recommend it to others. Readers should be aware that I am a pretty tough critic and almost always stay at hotels that are of a Park Hyatt standard or above.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank Steven G
GM_Park_Hyatt, General Manager at Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2015

Dear Steven G,

Thank you so much for your very detailed review and kind words towards our team.
It is thanks to comments and suggestions like yours that we are able to improve our resort experience and rest assured that we will work hard on each and every one of them. Our goal is to continually strive to improve our service levels.

We have already started working on the music improvements across the resort and we will be adding some other snacks to the Minibar for our guest’s convenience in a matter of weeks.

I remain at your disposal for any further assistance that you may require and we look forward to welcome you back to our home any time soon