“Fabulous cafe and the steps are a fascinating piece of the east coast's history”

Whaligoe Steps Cafe
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Whaligoe
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 25 August 2017

Karen has made a destination cafe and restaurant. The food is all homemade and the menu is exciting!
I had spiced lamb hummous with hearth bread. Delicious. My daughter had home made gnocchi accompanied with olives and a tomato dip. After our trip down the famous steps we popped back in for coffee and one of Karen's meltin the mouth cakes.

Reviewed 24 August 2017

Found this by accident - poorly advertised at the top of Whaligoe Steps. Very quirky, excellent food freshly prepared so sometimes some items not available. Carpark for the steps is some distance away and limited. Booking is suggested as advisable.

Reviewed 18 August 2017

Having walked back up the 300 or so Whaligoe steps this is a great place to reward yourself. Really great homemade cakes and very friendly owners. A real pleasure.

Reviewed 17 July 2017

I got lots of personal recommendations for the NC500 but this was the only one for the whole of the east coast. I was expecting a little community run coffee stop in a village hall or garden shed or something, so this place blew me away. It was probably my top dining experience of the whole trip.

The place is lovely - very considered architectural work, preserving many of the building's original features but making it completely modern. It is very tastefully and thoughtfully decorated too - very modern but with some nods to the history of the place. And the food is amazing. Like make-a-trip-up-the-east-coast-just-to-eat-here amazing. Service is fantastic too, and the chef/owner is about to launch her own cookbook!

If you're passing anywhere near here you should try to have a meal at this cafe.

Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

My family and I did the NC500 last week and stopped to see the Whaligoe Steps. We saw it had a cafe so we decided to have lunch too. Well, this was the biggest surprise of the whole trip! Cafe just does not do it justice! The menu is fabulous and we struggled to decide what to have because of the massive choice. Many interesting and unusual dishes and bread cooked on the premises! Although a few things my daughter chose were not available, it wasn't a problem as there were so many other things to chose instead. Absolutely delicious lunch ! Thank you

Karen D, Owner at Whaligoe Steps Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2017

I'm so glad that you enjoyed your lunch, we cook everything from scratch on the premises, and love to have seasonal choices. Everything is cooked in small batches, 8 - 10 portions are typical, so there are always things that are not available - but we can guarantee that there should be plenty to choose from. I hope to see you again sometime, meanwhile, thanks for the review, they are important to us.

Karen