“Fantastic”

Utopia Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Katelios
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Once we arrived at the utopia resort we were kindly welcomed by our staff with smiles and good afternoons. We even got upgraded to the penthouse suite! although we went out a lot the food was lovely and tasted good. Even though one day there was a power cut (that wasn't their fault )and our air con was turned off the staff were very helpful and got a mechanic as soon as possible.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 407 which had a lovely sea view
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

Outside The hotel looks rather like a hostel. Inside someone tried to make it look like a hotel. The room is quite big, with a nice balony overlooking the Sea and the swimming-pools. The ugly part of it is a bathroom-dirty, shabby with insufficient amount of shower-gel even for one person.
The swimming-pools are decent but I have never seen anyone cleaning them.
The worst things in Utopia are:1-waiters 2-food. The 1-st are extremely lazy and unhelpful. They do not take the dirty plates away until You finish the whole dinner or supper. The waiters do everything with a huge effort and grace. The food is awful! Unedible and monotonous-day by day the same. You can find tomatoes served in 100 ways, pasta and potatoes. Don't bother to taste meat unless you have a mechanical saw to cut it.
To sum up-it's a 3 star, average hotel in the middle of nowhere but with a nice view.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 24 August 2013

This hotel is in a really nice location and very close to both the beach and village centre which has a good selection of high quality tavernas to choose from. The whole hotel is spotlessly clean with very nice swimming pools and plenty of high quality sun beds for everyone (no need to put the towels out, but some people still do!).

On arrival we were greeted by the manager and his staff who all had beaming smiles and made us feel extremely welcome. This continued throughout our two week stay. After a stressful days travelling (our car broke down at Gatwick), we were given a wonderful upgrade which was very much appreciated. Our room was fantastic and finished to a very high standard with lovely sea views.

We booked through Olympic holidays on a full board plus basis. The only reason for this was because this worked out cheaper than what Thompsons offered on a B&B basis when we booked last September. The food was very good, although for us, Greece is more about getting out and about and soaking in the atmosphere at the local tavernas (would you spend two weeks in the UK eating at the same restaurant 3 times a day for 14 days?).

As has already been mentioned on previous reviews, it is the staff who are the real stars here. They work very hard to make sure that you are made welcome. This was evident from everyone from the management to the cleaners.

Please do not take notice of previous reviews made by disgruntled Thompson holiday makers who DID NOT ACTUALLY STAY HERE. To give 1 star against this hotel whereby the fault was clearly with Thompsons I find very unfair and very misleading. I even read one review from a couple who just 'popped' in for a drink after being moved by Thompson to another hotel......ridiculous.

This was our 3rd trip to Kefalonia, but first to Katelios. We travelled as a family of 3 (son 13 yrs) and can highly recommend both this hotel and Katelios.

Room Tip: If you cannot travel via a UK travel operator, book direct! (We normally book independently, but had...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Garym503830
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I booked the Utopia over a year ago as it had fantastic reviews and I wanted a special holiday for our 25th wedding anniversary. I was really worried as the holiday date got nearer as I was reading really bad reviews on the hotel. I booked with Olympic holidays, thankfully not Thomson who seem to have cocked a lot of people's holidays up. I emailed the hotel and got in touch with Olympic who both assured me my holiday was safe. From start to finish our holiday was fantastic. The hotel, pool and spa are absolutely spotless. We had a problem with our air conditioning which was fixed straight away. We booked bed and breakfast which I'd advise anyone to do. The grill house and taverna just down the road do a great choice of meat and fish dishes and are only too happy to jiggle the menu around to suit. The food is so cheap too, we couldn't believe it. We ate every night for under 30 euros with drinks. Be prepared to dine alongside the local puddies. There are loads of cats and kittens, I bought tuna from a shop to feed them and gave them titbits whilst I was eating.

Our room was very comfortable and clean. It was cleaned every day with fresh towels. Towels are also provided for the pool area. We had a lovely view over the pool area and out to sea. It was hilarious watching all the Polish guests putting out their towels on sunbeds before breakfast. There was no need, there were plenty to go round. It was so quiet it was just what we wanted. I booked a quiet, non booze filled, no crappy entertainment, non Benidorm type holiday and that's exactly what we got. There was a Greek night on one night of the week which was very good. The musicians were brilliant and the dancers entertaining.

On our anniversary the receptionist informed us that the hotel wanted to give us a bottle of wine and our meal free which was a lovely surprise. I don't drink so my hubby had a bottle of Robola to himself!

The lady in the spa was very helpful. I asked if we could have a look around and she took us round the jacuzzi pool, the sauna area, therapy rooms and Thai relaxation room. It looked amazing and would be great for a wedding package. If we return, we'll have to use the spa area before we start sunbathing.

I'm disabled but found the hotel very easy to get around. It had a lift, disabled toilets near the pool area and the pool had gently sloping steps with a rail.

Katelios is a tiny place with lots of local charm and plenty of places to eat.
We took a local bus which stopped just up from the hotel to Skala. Skala beach was lovely and there were quite a few shops. We also visited the Roman Villa. We booked a couple of trips with our rep. It cost a bit more than booking locally but being disabled I thought I'd be looked after better with our rep. We did the island tour which was a long day but amazing. We stopped at Fiskardo, had photo opportunities at the breathtaking Myrtos, lunch as Assos, a look around the Robola winery, the Monastery and then on to Melissani lake/cave and Drogarati cave. The lake entrance has a few steps followed by a carpeted slope down to the water. No idea how I did it but I was determined to walk down to have my boat ride and I did. The walk back up near killed me but was well worth it. I couldn't do Drogarati as there are 120 steps. Hubby did this one on his own and the photos he took are very impressive. We also did the evening trip to Argostoli for a meal and shopping. We saw a turtle swimming along the shore. We also had a surprise stop at another local winery where hubby bought the rest of our luggage allowance in wine!!

All in all a fabulous holiday. A beautiful island and a beautiful hotel. Thank you very much Utopia for making our anniversary so special. We will return one day.

Room Tip: Pool view is lovely.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank sharon_watson
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We had booked for a two week stay at the utopia in July 2013
Our booking was made a year prior due to holiday , Two weeks before we were also told that Thompsons were no longer using this Hotel ,This was a blow as we knew the Hotel and the Island as we had visited many times before
We were offered very little alternative accommodation but we settled for a villa
This turned out to be just OK not really what we wanted at all
During our stay we visited the Utopia as the spa is excellent !!!
Effi is very professional and we enjoyed a fabulous spa experience once again
At the hotel we chatted to the receptionist and to the spa staff and it seems Thompson have been driving the prices down along with other UK Travel companies
I have decided that I will not be using Thompsons for future Holiday bookings
The Utopia is a lovely Hotel and in future we will book direct with them

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 443Karen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Katelios
31.2 km away
31 km away
Apollonion Resort & Spa Hotel
5.9 km away
Porto Skala Hotel & Village

Been to Utopia Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!