“Wanted to try but disappointed”
Review of The Express Tavern

The Express Tavern
Ranked #9 of 58 Restaurants in Brentford
Reviewed 2 June 2021 via mobile

Average food, sharing platter arrived same time as main, poor customer service as when asked why they blamed it on me ordering via their app and could have been a table for 3 (yet I had reserved a table for 2). A little courtesy or customer focussed service would have made all the difference as I rarely write reviews but this was poor

Date of visit: May 2021
Write a reviewReviews (318)

Reviewed 28 May 2021

Great beer selection , very welcoming pub love the stretch tent at the back this is a must see place

Reviewed 23 May 2021

Had been looking to visiting this pub as I am a huge fan of the Big Smoke pubs....

Went here on a Friday evening with friends at the beginning of May.

Clear very popular as there was not a spare seat, which was a good sign but I was wrong.

I got there at 7:45pm and did not get my first pint till 9pm. I had checked a few times with the staff who were clearly very stressed and over worker, one of them told me themselves that it was not their fault as they did not have enough staff. I felt sorry for them as you could see how stressed and upset she was getting.

They said there was an issue with the printer ? Not sure if this was just a way of deflecting blame.

Second pint ordered and that took 60mins too.

I fully appreciate pubs have had a tough time and it was great to see how much custom they were getting, but if service carries on like this as we got back to normal, customers will begin voting with their feet. I can see others have said similar recently too, put more staff on and if the online app isn’t using, switch to table service and have staff managing sections. Or use both in tandem.

Reviewed 23 May 2021 via mobile

We had a reason to visit London for a particular event and chose to stay in Brentford. Realising it was the first weekend after lockdown we knew we should book. The Express Tavern came recommended, we phoned on the previous Friday, again on the Monday to make reservation. On arrival on the Friday we went for a drink and to ensure our reservation for Saturday was good. We were reassured that it was, two tables for six, inside 8.15. When we arrived at that time on Saturday, they only had a reservation for two, they seated us outside for drinks. We didn’t recognise any of the staff from the previous night, and they really didn’t seem to care. Reservations were made in the name Steve from Hereford

Reviewed 20 May 2021

Booked a table before the London Irish match at their new stadium. As a result pub was very busy and I suspect that this together with the date (18 May) second day of indoor dining made the service somewhat slow. Beer was good. Food not outstanding but still an enjoyable experience. Covid arrangements worked well.