Lismore House Hotel
TheToby Jug(Cappoquin)
Richmond House(Cappoquin)
The Old Convent(Clogheen)
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 September 2015

This was a two day break by a couple who have travelled widely and stayed in mid range hotels in Ireland and abroad. Our experience here was very mixed, the staff were pleasant but many aspects of the hotel need to be addressed. The room was clean, but maintenance is poor. The door of the bathroom cabinet fell off, the shower spouted water from the controls. Wifi sporadic. The fire alarm went off three times on the first night and once in the morning. There was no attempt by staff to contact us to say what was happening. There was an eighteenth birthday party on the Saturday night and though we were told about this at reception the resultant noise, broken glass, car alarms going off was rather alarming to say the least. There was no attempt by staff to apologise for any of this. Breakfast and evening meals were O.K. This could be a great hotel in a great wee town, but it falls way short of four stars and is letting the town down.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 September 2015

I stayed in this hotel a while back and although good value found it badly run to say the least, on this trip we were told its under new management and it shows.
From what I can see the new management seem to be putting in a lot of effort and making changes for the better.
Its a nice old hotel with clean rooms and friendly staff, the service in the bar and restaurant was good the full Irish breakfast a really great start to the day with a dinner that night left us feeling someone has got something right.

Room Tip: Ask for a nice view of the village
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2015

With over 40 reviews on TripAdvisor.com over 9 years and dozens I've never bothered to write I've never felt compelled to write a 1 star review until I stayed at the Lismore House Hotel.

In brief the Lismore House hotel is an old hotel dating from the late 18th century, given the age of the building some leeway should be given regarding lifts, room sizes, en suites etc. On checking in we were informed that the only lift was out-of-order, this was not a problem for us though as we were on the 1st floor (room 101). The room was a reasonable size with a double bed and a small CRT TV that looked like it came off the Ark! One of two windows looked out into an internal staircase which was lit ALL night, the roller blind was ill fitting. The bathroom was a bit grubby and in need of a refresh, the shower was a corner unit and very small. We chose not to eat at the hotel following reviews on TripAdvisor.com. The hotel close the main doors to the hotel fairly early and make guests enter through a rather dodgy 90's looking bar which means shuffling past smokers and revelers which isn't great (particularly when some families had smaller children).

On opening the curtains the next morning one of the curtains nearly fell off the wall! we reported this at reception when leaving the hotel. On returning to the hotel at midnight from a wedding we discovered not only had the curtain not been fixed but there was a very loud noise coming from the bathroom! This sounded like gushing water (I will try and upload the video). We called reception and the manager attended. She was very unhelpful (I will not mention her name), I had to suggest she looked for another room for us (there wasn't one). All she did was shrug and offer us a drink from the bar to help us sleep! We did not sleep, the noise went on most of the night and then the sun streamed through the broken curtains in the morning! I had said to the manager that I did not expect to pay for the room.

The final insult was dealt the following morning when the manager was nowhere to be seen but the receptionist had a message from the manager to discount our room by only 35% for the second night! The room was not fit for use and the receptionist even admitted that they were not putting anyone else in the room till they had fixed the noise. Why did they charge us 65% the full cost of the room then!?

I have tried contacting the hotel via e-mail many times since our stay and I have had no reply. The management do not want to engage with me or acknowledged any of my complaints.

In conclusion, this is simply the worst run hotel I have ever had the misfortune of staying at. It is a shame as the building itself has the potential to be a lovely country hotel but I would urge anyone considering this hotel to look elsewhere in Lismore.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
5  Thank 2Ton
Reviewed 7 September 2015

Not the first time I have stayed here, but I'll be back when in this neck of the woods.
Room very nice, a good nights sleep.
Food excellent.
Staff 1st class.
Preferred last years bar area and paint work, ( Personal ) but it looks GOOD.

Room Tip: All rooms excellent.
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 September 2015 via mobile

This place was seriously disgusting as a hotel. Nothing was in working order. Elevators, TV, lights, shower. All broken. Wifi did not work on the second floor either. The door to our room would not lock, so we had to complain twice before we were given an old school key to lock our room. The food at the bar was not bad at all, although I would recommend you stay away from the seafood chowder. My husband woke up around 2am violently ill. We think it was from the chowder. Or the brown colored water.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple