My son was traveling to the Japanese Anime Convention at the Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center at the Washington National Harbor outside of Washington DC. My husband and I had a free weekend, so we decided to go along and see what this was all about. This is not your typical convention crowd. These were young adults, in fantasy costumes, with horns, feathers, sparkles, wigs, weapons, talons, and things that are just too wierd to describe. We were blown away by the energy and the creativeness of the crowd.
I was so impressed at how the hotel handled the weekend. They were very accomodating to an UNconventional convention. The young people had the run of the hotel to display their talents and costumes. While there were planned meeting halls and theater areas set aside for convention activities, there was a constant parade of people in the lobbies, bars, restaurants, atrium and open areas of the hotel. Security was never an issue that we saw. Security was present and available if needed, but we never saw a problem. We saw many hotel employees keeping a watchful eye, but never hampering creativity or making the participants feel penned in at any time.
I am going to write a letter to management about how impressed I was that they were so welcoming and helpful to a group of people who are probably otherwise shunned away from any public displays of their "art".
The facilites themselves were very clean and neat, available, and it was easy to find everything we needed. The pool level was a bit out of the way on the bottom level, and it was easier to walk up a flight of stairs than to wait for an elevator to come all the way down to us, but the pool and jacuzzi and work out room made up for an inconvenience. (The work out room is available 24 hrs for those who like a run before dawn.)
I applaud the hotel for managing this crowd and tolerating the absurdity that IS Katsucon. This was my first visit to the Gaylord National and to Katsucon, but I assure you it won't be my last!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated along the banks of the Potomac, the Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center is a monumental addition to the national capital region. With 2,000 luxurious guest rooms, including 110 lavish suites, and 470,000 square feet of meeting, convention and exhibition space, it’s the largest combined convention center and hotel in National Harbor and on the Eastern Seaboard. Here, guests will also enjoy four signature restaurants, a 20,000-square-foot spa, the area’s hottest ultra lounge, elegant retail shops and a magnificent waterfront promenade boasting a full-service marina and views of nearby Washington D.C. and Old Town Alexandria, Virginia. Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center is the cornerstone of the National Harbor project, a 300-acre waterfront destination offering world-class dining, retail and entertainment venues in Prince Georges County, Maryland. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Marriott, Booking.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gaylord National Resort And Convention Center
- Gaylord National Hotel Oxon Hill
- Gaylord National Oxon Hill