Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in National Harbor
Reviewed 12 January 2013 via mobile

So been dying to visit Gaylord because of everyones stories. You know when you never stayed at a hotel before you don't what to expect you hope the inside is as beautiful as the outside. So let's start with the parking...awesome that they take luggage out of car to your room- but when asking about the $11.00 parking if they could be more specific as to which way that is. The room was big and clean, balcony was a neat experience. So overall I was impressed.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank onley1010

Reviewed 11 January 2013

We surprised our kids at Christmas and gave this this trip. Be very prepared because the restaurants are very expensive. Breakfast for 4 was over $70 with tip. It wasn't anything special. The hotel itself is very nice and all staff was very nice. Our view stunk! We were stuck back in a corner with only an atrium view. I paid extra for that? Hmmmm...

The sports bar food is very good and they have wonderful crab dip!

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 10 January 2013

We got a package to see the ICE show right after Christmas. Got early checkin, which worked out well. The kids like the big atrium, because it is full of lots of Christmas cheer. However, when it was time for lunch, I forgot about the tons of awesome restaurants right down the hill from the resort. Long story short, we had lunch in the sports bar and dinner in the nearby buffet place. Both times we sat there for TEN MINUTES or more with no one paying attention to us. So we learned our lesson: Sleep in a hotel, eat at a restaurant. Don't try to mix them. The next day we had lunch at McCormick & Schmick's down the hill and it was great.
If you stay at the resort, consider taking the water taxi to Alexandria for an afternoon. It is $16 for adults and $10 for kids. Bring a camera.
There are at times fireworks over the harbor for some reason, at least on the day we went. Be sure to check the national harbor website for special events so you don't end up missing things like fireworks!

Room Tip: Make sure you get ATRIUM VIEW. Otherwise you might as well stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 January 2013

Make sure you have your walking shoes because this hotel is huge. We got lost trying to find our way around for several hours. We were there for Magfest and let me say I am glad I had AAA rate because this place was expensive to eat at. I mean 3 sandwiches, 1 tea and waters came to $56. We found other more reasonable places to eat it after the 1st night. Elevators were super super super slow. I mean 5-10 minute waits. Very annoying considering they have 6 in each section of rooms. Wifi could have been much better, I kept losing connection even in the Atrium. Another issues is if you have an Atrium view room and the people are loud you will hear them, thank goodness I had ear plugs because at Midnight people shouldn't be yelling. Beds were awesome. Most comfortable beds. The air in the hotel is extremely dry so if you are bothered by that take saline spray with you its super expensive at CVS a block away. ICE wasn't bad but the one in Florida was way better and offered way more than the freezing tent did. Self parking is expensive but we were aware of that going in. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't choose to eat at any of the restaurants there because they are way overpriced and not very good. Go for a walk and eat at one of the many offerings with in a block or 2.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2013

My family (me, my wife, 1 year old son) stayed for a one night getaway the weekend before Christmas to check out the Christmas decorations and also to check out the new Children's Museum down the street.

First of all, we knew it would be pretty crazy at the hotel, seeing how we probably went on the busiest single weekend out of the entire calendar year. With that being said, things were actually well managed by the hotel staff. Check-in was busy but painless, food was a bit over priced but good overall, decorations were amazing, room was clean, and staff was kind.

If everything went like how it did for most of our stay, this review would have gotten 5/5 easily. The reason why I had to give it 3 was because of one employee who was not only rude but unreasonable.

So, we had completed our stay and enjoyed everything about the hotel. I self-parked my car so we all walked to the garage, loaded up, and was about the leave the premises. When I had received my final bill under my door the morning of our check out, it clearly states that the $22 self-parking fee was INCLUDED and charged to my credit card. All fine and good. As we were leaving the gates, the parking attendant asked that we pay. I told him the parking bill was included in our bill. He said there was no such thing. I showed him my hotel receipt and pointed out exactly where it says "self-parking fee: $22." He said that is not correct and that we had to pay "or you can't get out of the property." Threat? You betcha. Mad, but seeing how I was holding up the line for other people and I had another place to get to with my family, I handed him my credit card. Before I could even give it to him he says, "cash only." What if I didn't have cash? Would he have let me go?? Lucky for him, I did. He snatched the cash and opened the gate. We left half confused, half mad. I didn't even get a receipt.

Few days later, I received an email asking me to review my stay from Gaylord directly. I gave them a scathing remark about this. And few days after that, I received a call from one of the Gaylord directors (with a British accent) profusely apologizing and told me that he would refund the $22 in 3-5 days. I saw on my credit card statement today that it has, indeed, been refunded.

I don't care about the $22, I'm glad I got a refund, but money's not the issue. It just goes to show you that every part/aspect of the employee matters. We had a fantastic stay and at the VERY last second as we were leaving, everything felt ruined and our view of the hotel has been tainted. The parking attendant probably knew what he was doing and asked for cash so he could pocket the cash himself (hence the no receipt). The only saving grace for this review is that the director called me personally, apologized, and refunded my parking as he promised to do.

I hope no one else got scammed like I did. Or if you did, you probably didn't even notice. I tend not to look too carefully at my final bill and I'm sure not a lot of people do and end up paying double the parking fee, not realizing it was already included in the bill.

Other than that, it's a fantastic hotel. I DO highly recommend it. It's very family friendly and the views are great. I just hope the management reads this and re-trains some of their staff (especially the parking staff) on importance of customer service so that their last impression of the hotel is not a bitter taste in their mouths.

Room Tip: Pick high floor NOT facing the atrium for the quietest rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2.9 km away
Harborside Hotel
Harborside Hotel
#2 of 4 in Oxon Hill

Been to Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!