“Great cake and scones!”

Ranked #1 of 14 Restaurants in Botley
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 7 April 2016 via mobile

Called in for drinks with family. Kids had enormous slices of cake while we adults had scones, cream and jam...service was very good, and the food delicious, washed down with a lovely big pot of tea.
Other food, sandwiches, jacket potatoes etc we saw being serviced all looked really good.
Will definitely be going to this lovely tearoom again.

elsiestearooms, Owner at Elsies Traditional Tea Room, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2016

Thankyou for taking the time to leave a lovely review for us. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit to Elsie's. We hope to see you again really soon so that you may sample more of our menu. Thankyou.

Reviewed 1 April 2016

I have been to the tea room several times over the last couple of years and have always had great food and service from the friendly staff. I am, therefore, at a loss to read the latest review. On balance the review is only one of so many which clearly sing its praises. Keep up the good work ladies.

Thankyou Linda L for your review. I am very pleased that you continue to enjoy your experience at Elsie's. With regards to the previous review that you mention, I really appreciate your kind words supporting us. I have indeed responded to this review after consultation with my team who were working on that day, but your recognition of the "great" food and service we offer is very much appreciated. My staff team read all our TripAdvisor reviews and they will certainly be pleased to read this. Thankyou, and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 28 March 2016 via mobile

Elsie's was my favourite place for afternoon tea on the south coast, I'd travel 25 minutes to go there purely because the cake and scones were so good.
I made a special trip for my friends birthday - she'd never been so I was excited to take her.
The staff were so rude. I'd had an experience where the manager was rude before but wrote it off as a possible bad day, but this time two of the waitresses were just as rude - they have no people skills and clearly think themselves and their opinions/needs are more important than their customers. They didn't make you feel special or like you were there to be served by them. They made you feel like you didn't want to ask for anything.

I was also so unimpressed by the cake selection. They had three cakes on offer which were far from what I'd expect - mincemeat, marzipan, apricot, almonds? All things that would require an acquired taste - didn't have any normal cakes, ie, Victoria sponge, chocolate cake, carrot cake, brownies - nothing that I'd class as a normal selection.
Last time I went to Elsie's the cakes were amazing, whether they've changed who makes the cakes I don't know but they were noticeably different. Same goes for the scones - they used to have massive fluffy moist scones - the best I've ever had. This time they tasted and looked shop bought.
When another customer came in for cake she was also offered a completely different selection of cakes to what we were offered - they sounded like a better choice of cakes. Anything would have been better than the cakes we had.

All in all i won't be returning to Elsie's. Mainly because the staff are far from personable but it would have softened the blow at least if the cakes were good.

9  Thank Kait C
elsiestearooms, Owner at Elsies Traditional Tea Room, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2016

Thankyou for letting me know about your experience today at Elsie's. I do question why you never found the time to post a positive review for us before if you state that this was your favourite place for afternoon tea on the south coast. But disappointingly you found the time to post a negative review without even notifying us on the day about your dissatisfaction, where we could have immediately recitifed any issues that you may have had.

I am also disappointed to hear that you felt that 2 of my waitresses were rude to you. I know you haven't gone in to great detail, but I would really appreciate it if you could provide me with further information, via private message on Facebook or on our Website "Contact Us", so that I may investigate this further as clearly, this is not what I expect from Elsie's, and as you can see from our other reviews, friendly and welcoming staff have always featured highly in other reviews.

With regards to your disappointment about the cakes, at the time of your visit we had a mincemeat and marzipan, an apricot and almond, and a slice of victoria sponge left. We usually have four cake domes up at all times unless it is getting towards the end of the day where we run low and as we do not "stockpile" our cakes, what is left, is all we can offer until the next day when more have been freshly baked. The only explanation I can give to you; if you say that another customer was offered a different selection of cake, is, that the empty cake dome was in for washing up and had not been replaced by the time that you ordered. It was only after you ordered that the cake dome had been replenished with different cake. As a rule, we do tend to tell customers what is going up next if there is another cake to put out, but on this occassion, this may not have been communicated to you, so for that I offer you my apologies.

With regards to the scones, all our scones are home baked each day. If you are a scone baker, you will appreciate that scones will never come out the same size, the same rise, or width, regardless of you using the same recipe. We are by no means scone connoisseurs, but I would like to make it clear, that we never have, and never will purchase scones from a shop as you suggest. This goes against our whole ethos.

We do hope you will come back to see us again, but I do respect your decision not to. So please, in order for small family run businesses to survive in an extremely competitive market, and by trying to maintain what a village high street should look like, and keeping the big players out, please spend a little more time in giving credit when credit is due. If every customer only wrote negative reviews regardless of having previously good experiences, small businesses would not survive for too long. Kind regards.

Reviewed 18 March 2016 via mobile

Elsie's is a very popular and pretty tea rooms in the village of Botley serving traditional fayre with vintage china. Family-run, friendly and welcoming. Generous and tasty food.
No car park but parking available nearby.
Access by steps and a tight fit so not wheelchair friendly.

1  Thank ilovesweetpea

Thankyou for your great review. I love your name too ilovesweetpea !! We love being in Botley and we have been told many times that we actually enhance our lovely village too, so such a priveledge to be here. We are family run with one us present at all times. I am so pleased you enjoyed our food. We don't have our own carparking, I think there are a couple of pubs that have their own carparking and I believe you can park in one of them in Church Street for up to 3 hours with a free ticket. However, I tend to park in Mortimer Road, just passed the church where it is free all day and just a short walk back to the tearoom. We have two steps to get up to the front door as you mention, however, we do have a side fire exit where, if people find it hard to use those steps, they can come in the other way but unfortunately we do not have wheelchair friendly toilet facilities or baby changing due to there only being one small toilet at the back. We do hope you visit us again soon. Thank you.

Reviewed 12 March 2016 via mobile

Visited here for some tea and a rest whilst on a weekend cycle ride. The place was bustling on a warm spring Saturday but we were lucky enough to find a table. Choice of herbal teas was excellent and the cakes looked lovely but we were trying to be good so just settled for drinks. Both were served in traditional crockery which was a real bonus. Only slight disappointment was breakfast tea pots for one were on the small side compared to those for herbal tea. Lots of people opting for afternoon tea which looked delicious!

Thank you for your lovely review. Please don't feel disappointed with your teapot. None of our teapots are the same size, as they are all different. There would have been just as much water in the smaller teapot as there was in the larger teapot as the hot water that comes from our machine regulates servings. So, please, when you visit us again, if there is not enough hot water for you, please let us know and we would be pleased to top you up, and who knows, we may even tempt you with our afternoon tea that you mention too !! Thankyou.