“Surprisingly excellent food and good quality service!”

The Hanging Gate Pub and Restaurant
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 21 August 2017

We ended up in this pub on a weekend away to the Peak District. It was suggested by the landlady of another pub that was not serving food, so we had no expectations.

The look and feel of the pub was fairly traditional, rather than being one of the modern gastropubs. The menu was fairly expansive (not necessarily a good sign), but the waitresses were welcoming and friendly, and they could easily accommodate our party of nine.

They took our drinks orders promptly. They then took our food orders and were patient and accommodating. What really impressed me was that, having taken the orders, they asked me if I would like my two-year-old's meal served as soon as it was ready or along with the adult meals. Good thinking!

There was a good selection of food to choose from and I thoroughly enjoyed every last bite of my lunch. I think that was the case for us all, looking at the empty plates and satiated faces.

I was also impressed that they had a good stock of colouring pens and pictures. Furthermore, my child was suitably enamoured of the balloon dog that one of the staff made.

To summarise, we were surprised and delighted by the excellent food and service. If we ever visit the area again we would certainly go back.

Reviewed 20 August 2017

the best decorated pub I have ever been in and the meal was very good as well every room is decorated in a Christmas theme absolutely wonderful

Reviewed 9 August 2017

I have just reread the review I wrote two years ago and things are much the same. I have been a couple of times in the interim and today I had the set three course Seniors lunch as usual which has quite a choice of dishes. - today ... prawn cocktail, beef and pork roast with yorkshire pudding and loads of vegetables and icecream wth butterscotch sauce. Food was tasty and well presented. Nice waiting staff and a choice of fruity ciders.

Reviewed 12 July 2017 via mobile

Good food . Great choice of food . Very quiet when we visited. . Service very good.
We have visited when all the decorations are up . It is well worth going at christmas . St valentines or halloween.

Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

Thank you to the hanging gate, we arrived late and we ordered a mixed grill for myself and salmon coronets salad. My mixed grill was huge with everything you could wish for in a mixed grill it was really nice cooked just right, yes I finished it all but was stuffed and couldn't manage a sweet. The only gripe was the salmon coronets came without the prawns but when we pointed it out we were given a big bowl of prawns which my wife really enjoyed. Next time we go I'm definitely having the mixed grill again.