“Lovely Room and great Location”
Review of The Old Hall Hotel

The Old Hall Hotel
Ranked #6 of 11 Restaurants in Hope
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: We have transformed the Old Hall and the service you will receive. My aim is to provide a relaxed atmosphere for family and friends to eat and drink with comfortable accommodation. We offer all your favourite classic pub meals from our experienced chefs using fresh ingredients and also have a variety of specials with a twist. We also have a tea room where you can enjoy breakfasts, a quick bite for lunch or afternoon tea and coffee. You must try our famous Old Hall Hotel Derbyshire Breakfast! The tea room can be hired for a special occasion with a variety of options catering for your needs. Please do come and visit us for a meal, drink or stay in one of comfortable bed and breakfast rooms. You can always be sure of a warm welcome at the Old Hall Hotel in Hope, Peak District.
Reviewed 31 May 2018

We stayed for 1 night in the Chatsworth room which was lovely and full of character. The room was very clean and comfortable with Tea and Coffee facilities and complimentary toiletries.
The location is brilliant for exploring the nearby peaks and very popular with cyclists. There was a beer festival on during our visit which did finish late with a band playing till late but we were kindly informed of this when we booked.
The breakfast was very good with a good selection of hot food as well cereal available.
The staff were very helpful and our check in was good.
We will definitely stay here again

Rick E, Owner at The Old Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2018

Hello.
Thank you so much for your great review. I look forward to seeing you again next time.

Reviewed 31 May 2018 via mobile

The didn’t really meet many of the staff only in check which was nice we where shown to our room. The room was spacious and clean, bathroom was clean and fresh. Beds comfy we had a nice four poster. Breakfast was slightly limited mainly offering full English.

Hello.
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, and thank you for the feedback on the breakfast. This is something that has recently been brought to our attention, and we will be releasing a new menu within the next few weeks.
The new menu will contain more cereals, a new fish option and American pancakes.

I hope you can visit us again soon.

Reviewed 26 May 2018 via mobile

It is with no doubt the best I have ever eaten!! Come and try it. My husband had the rump and this is lovely also. The beef dripping chips are fab x

Rick E, Owner at The Old Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2018

Hello.
Thank you so much for such a kind review.
I hope to see you both again soon.

Reviewed 23 May 2018 via mobile

Good sized car park.

A few real ales available.

Staff a little hit and miss, a few friendly, a few abrupt.

Went as a group and the quality of food really differed. The steak and ale pie was excellent, stuffed full of meat with nice chips and a scattering of peas. Nice, but not worth the price tag! The ‘Sunday Roast’ was a let down. The beef looked and felt like pre slices cold beef which had been heated with gravy poured over. Rather stale Yorkshire pudding and a tiny bit of veg.

I would suggest there are much better places to eat and spend your money in the area.

1  Thank NottmFoody
Rick E, Owner at The Old Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2018

Hello.
Thank you for visiting our "good sized car park", I hope you enjoyed parking in it as much as I enjoy sweeping it.

We actually have six rotating real ales.

I'm fairly certain that I am the only "abrupt" person behind the bar, but this is usually a retaliation rather than that of a personality disorder, although there are a few who would disagree.

Thank you for your great feedback on our steak and ale pie. I'm sorry to hear that your party didn't enjoy their roast dinner, We usually get such positive feedback with them.
It is always important to make a member of staff aware when you have any problems at all, as if we don't know, then we can't fix them. Our Yorkshire puddings are made from fresh throughout the day and our roast Derbyshire beef is kept in a specific oven throughout lunch service. This enables it to stay at optimum temperature without getting dry.

I do hope that once you have visited the "other places in the area", you might give our special little pub another try.

Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 21 May 2018

We booked to eat here at 5pm with two small children. I was advised that the chicken I had ordered would take 25 minutes to cook but I accepted that as it's a nice location. I ordered squash with my children's order and my husband had extra onion rings. After 40 minutes our food arrived and I had to send my chicken back as it was still bleeding, the onion rings arrived after our meal was finished and the squash was fizzy. The "chef" said that the chicken had blood in it due to the cut having bones in it but would cook it longer. I couldn't believe this and when it did return I didn't fancy eating it. With the number of errors and lack of customer service I wouldn't recommend this place to eat. There was only one other couple in the restaurant and they also complained at the slow service. For glorified (uncooked) pub food its expensive but I think you are paying for location rather than quality

Hello.
I'm so sorry to hear that your meal wasn't to your liking.
You are quite correct when you say that cooking a half chicken from fresh takes some time. Regardless of how many customers are in our busy restaurant, our half roast chickens are put into our Rational oven as soon as one is ordered, minimising the cooking time as much as possible. Each chicken has a temperature probe in it whilst it is in the oven. The computer then sounds an alarm in the kitchen when the chicken is at optimum temperature. This ensures that the meal is fully cooked.

Your recollection of the conversation you had with our supervisor seems slightly different to that of the story that was reported to me on the day, as also stated by our head chef. It was pointed out to you that the slightly purple/red patch in the chicken was actually a stained bone inside. I have seen this a few times before over the years. I don't know what causes it but unfortunately it is very difficult to rectify as no matter how much you cook the chicken, the bone will remain stained and the well prepared meal will become over cooked.

Although you should ALWAYS report to a member of staff if you are not entirely sure of something when you are dining especially chicken and pork, it is important to remember that chickens are drained of blood when they are being prepared. They are halved in the butchers and placed on their backs after being butterflied, ensuring that there is absolutely no blood in the meat. I feel that having a half chicken that is "still bleeding" in our restaurant is more likely to be a miracle rather than a laps of concentration. Raw chicken is usually a pinky colour and has a slightly translucent and slimy texture. On this occasion I am certain that this is not the case with your meal.

As for your orange squash being "fizzy", when someone orders orange, blackcurrant or lime squash, they are asked if they wish it to be filled with water or soda water. Soda water is "fizzy".

Thank you for taking the time to review "glorified" pub in a lovely "location".