“January 2012”
Review of Davvi Arctic Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Karesuvanto
Davvi Arctic Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Karesuvanto
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Had to add my comments about the Davvi Artic Lodge.Spent a week there in January and had the most wonderful time. Tried things I never expected to do and had the aches and pains to prove it. The Hotel is basic but always wonderfully warm. We had the room next to reception which was quite spacious and warm. The beds were large and very comfortable with plenty of space for clothes in the cupboards. The bathroom was very small but had underfloor heating. A note to take a travel plug for the sink. Several people mentioned they were missing from the rooms.

The lounge was large and very comfortable with large settees and chairs and a welcoming log fire. Therte is a large TV but this does not have English channels. There are books to read and games provided along with DVDS.

The bar area is cosy with lovely views and leads to the dining area. This has large windows all around showing off the views.

We enjoyed all the trips with the exception of the knife factory. However if you are into hunting and fishing etc you could find something you needed.

All the trips were well organised and ran to time. I especially enjoyed the cross country sking even if i did get lost on the course.!!! (Someone is always on hand to find and collect the strays so no need to worry)

Tom one of the chefs was a hoot. He produced some excellent meals and you need never feel hungry. The staff who waited on were lovely and had time for a chat.

One of the best parts of this trip was the friendliness of the others holidaymakers. On many a night a large group could be found on the hill looking for the Northern Lights around a pit fire
and then a quick return down the hill on sledges which were provided at the hotel.

Theres not a lot to do outside the hotel. Its about a 20 minute walk down into Sweden with only a couple of shops. There is large gift and souviners store next to the petrol station which doubles as a cafe.

While we were there the temperature was an average of -10c a mild winter for them. However we had taken thermal underwear and layered this. The suits provided were very warm along with the boots.

All in all this was an excellent trip and would love to do it again next year.

Room Tip: Although we stayed in the Hotel and had no problems with our room. Friends who stayed in the lodges...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Hazel J

Reviewed 7 February 2012

What can I say, we have just returned from a 3 night break which I booked for my wifes 40th birthday as she has always wanted to go, I on the other hand was never that really bothered. I booked in April last year and was horrified at most of the reviews left on here but I had no option to book with anyone else, how different our experience was to those prior, something has obviously changed.

No its not a 4 star hotel certainly by english standards and no its not haute cuisine food but what you do get is a very nice homely room which is very clean with a lovely comfy huge bed and nice crisp bed linen, there where times when I had to make sure my wife was still there it was that big (room 112). The food was always presented nice and was hot and tasty even my wife who is a fussy vegetarian struggled to find something that she did not like.

What stood out for me where the staff, how wonderful they all were, every single one of them went above and beyond the call of duty to me and my family why we were there.

While we where there temperatures dropped to minus 39-42 make sure you take plenty of thermals and at least two balaclavas, there is no nice way to say this but they do get wet from the inside with saliva, we swopped them around every couple of hours, you will certainly need them on any trips that you go on huskies/skidoos etc. Unlike my wife I dont really feel the cold but had three pairs of ski socks, two thermal long johns, sweat pants, two thermal tops a t-shirt, fleece, balaclava, hat, snood, and three pairs of gloves on everyday and within half an hour my fingers and toes were very very cold, take some heat pads especially for night time trips up the hill to see the northern lights.

There is a decent size gift shop just down the road from the hotel next to the garage which is closed on Saturdays and Sundays, if you cross the river back into Sweden there is a tourist information office which also has a small gift shop but it is a lot more expensive than the Finnish one, it also takes euros and has a small cafe that serves a nice hot chocolate and coffee which again is closed on the weekend, I believe there is a knife museum a little bit further on from here thats free to get in but cant comment on this as we did not go.

We where extremely lucky in that we saw the northern lights every night whilst there plus also had the fortune of meeting some really nice people whom we would now call friends.

If I had to find any fault it would be that on arrival at the bar they advertised hot chocolate with marshmallows and my son asked every day at least 3/4 times and they never had any for the whole trip I did try to explain to him that we where in the middle of the arctic.

All in all a fantastic time had by us all thank you Transun.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank mjpimlett
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Just come back from the Davvi. The hotel is fine, and the room OK, if a little basic. Take a ketle, especially if you are not in the hotel. A guest in one of the lodges told me it was a real pain to suit up every time she wanted a cup of tea.The food is fine, but not exactly gourmet. The staff are friendly and helpful, but the arrangements could sometimes be improved.
The weather turned extremely cold when we were there, below -30 every day. This made the trips rather more of an ordeal than they should have been. The dog and reindeer trips were lovely, but being so cold took the shine off them a little. If you wear glasses be warned that they freeze over when you go out, nor could anyone offer us a solution to this. If you put goggles on they froze over too. A very warm hat with ear flaps is a must, preferably one that fastens under the chin. One poor man got frostbite on his ears because his hat came open on the dog trip, resulting in him having large pads bandaged over his ears. I wore a thick snood pulled up over my head, and up over my nose, and a thick hat over this. This did the trick, anything less would not. Also take a pot of vaseline to keep off windburn. And hand and foot warmers. You get the picture now. But a fantastic holiday all the same. And we did see the Northern lights.

Room Tip: The rooms are meant to sleep four, but I think they are much too small to do this.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Patricia W
Reviewed 6 February 2012

I stayed at this Lodge on a Transun Artic Spirit Tour. Obviously running any sort of business in - 40 degrees C a million miles from civilisation is challenging.

The lodge is satisfactory; you don't have any control of the temperature in your bedroom. Mine was too cold for my liking. My bathroom was clearly an add-on in what used to be part of the hall way. It was not unlike bathrooms I have encountered on board boats previously; very small and terribly smelly.

The food served is really very average, and made me unwell on one occasion. Having said that, after spending all day running around in the wilderness - anything that was warm was appreciated and devoured. Again, given the circumstances I could certainly do no better.

Clearly you don't venture into the Artic Circle looking for 5 star resorts. The Davvi Lodge achieves its function, with fantastic staff who are used to looking after slightly delirious hypothermic tourists. Take a balaclava and lots of those little packets of warm stuff for your gloves and boots.

Room Tip: I had the cheapest room available, and didn't peek in any of the others. I believe the lodges w...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank kiwi089
Reviewed 31 January 2012

really not much to add to some of the previous positive reviews, got back monday am after a week there with a friend and had a fantastic time obviously the highlight being the norther lights.

yes the hotel is a bit basic and dated but comfortable lounges with plenty of games and a well stocked bar.Very warm in hotel.

yes the food is basic but filling, plentiful if a tad repetitive if vegetarian-but i was expecting this-it is the arctic!

yes the constant changes to flight times was a pain in the derriere especially when booking car-parking, lifts or taxi- but given the conditions impressive the planes take off at all really.

what really enables you to put up with these minor issues are the staff, they really are fantastic from robert at the bar, rachel managing and dave organising the trips (to mention just a few) they have a very positive attitude and friendly.
the staff at husky farm, reindeer farm and snowmobile trips also great all seemed to love their jobs.

obviously the highlight was the northern lights especially seeing them on the night husky safari-exceptional!

really didn't want to come back

Room Tip: hotel rooms much to small for more than 2. cabins a must in my opinion if travelling with 3 or more...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank nynaeve

Been to Davvi Arctic Lodge? Share your experiences!